vinapu

Unexpected reunions and few shattered dreams - 22nd trip to Thailand in May 2022

7 minutes ago, vinapu said:

Breakfast in Furama Sathorn is not opulent but adequate with choice of farang and Asian dishes and I consider it to be good value.

I saw you or someone mentioned this hotel in some post.....How would you compare it to Tarntawan?

The reviews are mixed online for Furama Sathorn, mostly about aged decor,furniture, a/c and appliances not working. But Tarntawan isn't new either. I still like the latter because of its location, service, price and I'm nostalgic of the place having stayed there so much.

So if they are the same price, with b'fast included....what are the differences to you, which do you like more?

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

I saw you or someone mentioned this hotel in some post.....How would you compare it to Tarntawan?

it was perhaps me in my Dec report or z909 who reported staying  there as well.

I don't have any emotional attachment to Tarntawan as in it's glory gay days it was on costly side and I rarely stay there prefering Nantra Silom or Raya instead.

I read those mixed reviews online but can't confirm anything negative . As far as I'm concerned everything - A/C , safety box , refrigerator , kettle and Tv was working (I don't watch Tv but one of boys turned it on only to meet my scornful eye).

Price wise Tarntawan is cheaper , I don't have any service issues with either. Tartawan's better location is mixed  blessing as passing by all those massage shops soliciting business is tiring and I think I like bit backward Furama's Sathorn location better. At end of day I think I like Furama better because  rooms are bigger and I like their balconies and gladly pay that 200-300 per night more to stay there. I don't know why but I just feel better there.

It's like Copa and Ambiance , identical places at the same location and I like Copa 11 times out of 10. Why? I don't know. 

2 minutes ago, vinapu said:

it was perhaps me in my Dec report or z909 who reported staying  there as well.

I don't have any emotional attachment to Tarntawan as in it's glory gay days it was on costly side and I rarely stay there prefering Nantra Silom or Raya instead.

I read those mixed reviews online but can't confirm anything negative . As far as I'm concerned everything - A/C , safety box , refrigerator , kettle and Tv was working (I don't watch Tv but one of boys turned it on only to meet my scornful eye).

Price wise Tarntawan is cheaper , I don't have any service issues with either. Tartawan's better location is mixed  blessing as passing by all those massage shops soliciting business is tiring and I think I like bit backward Furama's Sathorn location better. At end of day I think I like Furama better because  rooms are bigger and I like their balconies and gladly pay that 200-300 per night more to stay there. I don't know why but I just feel better there.

It's like Copa and Ambiance , identical places at the same location and I like Copa 11 times out of 10. Why? I don't know. 

I like to stay at Furama Silom although it's a bit far from the action its only ten minutes walk from the bars , great roof swimming  pool , spacious rooms, very good breakfast and direct entrance to the elevator bypass the reception. Did you stay there ?

8 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

I like to stay at Furama Silom although it's a bit far from the action its only ten minutes walk from the bars , great roof swimming  pool , spacious rooms, very good breakfast and direct entrance to the elevator bypass the reception. Did you stay there ?

no , but in Dec I rented room there for the first night anticipating I may be able to off somebody after result of tests will arrive and not being sure my quarantine  hotel will accept  guests.

All went according to script, I got a boy from Jupiter and we went to Furama Silom , Room was big indeed, I did not stay for breakfast as boy did not want long time . What I did not like is them asking for 1000 baht deposit on check in but I'm not sure they still do it. I don't mind staying there in the future, walk from bars  is not that far as you said

33 minutes ago, vinapu said:

All went according to script, I got a boy from Jupiter and we went to Furama Silom , Room was big indeed, I did not stay for breakfast as boy did not want long time . What I did not like is them asking for 1000 baht deposit on check in but I'm not sure they still do it. I don't mind staying there in the future, walk from bars  is not that far as you said

Why don't you try Le Meridien? It became my hotel of choice in Silom after two stays there.

I've just booked a room at Tarntawan for under 1000pn (breakfast not included.) I recall that the price never went below 2000 plus pre-Covid. In fact, hotel prices for my two up-coming trips (July and November) have been reassuring.  BKK, Chiang Mai and Jomtien.

Beware, however, of rapidly rising costs of  flights....perhaps worth a discussion on another thread.

I think on balance, I'd prefer the Furama Sathorn over the Tarntawan.

The decor in the Furama has the slight edge and this hotel also has facilities like a gym, pool and sauna.    Although the gym isn't the finest, it works well enough.

Location:   Tarntawan is obviously better for hotels, but The Furama is convenient for coffee shops and a couple of restaurants I like.

In the Furama, any visitors don't even need to walk past the reception desk & there was no checking of ID cards.  Whilst in the Tarntawan, one guest couldn't get in with no ID, although the idiot did handle it all wrong by asking a security guard.

I suspect the probability of getting a no-view room in the Tarnatawan is much higher, but I might be wrong on that.    The view I had in the Furama was good and one of my guests even posted selfies of himself with the view on Facebook.

Incidentally, I rarely book hotel breakfast, as I usually grab a little yoghurt & then head out to a coffee shop.  So that's excluded from my comparison in both cases.

4 hours ago, vinapu said:

I rarely stay there prefering Nantra Silom or Raya instead.

Have you tried the Nantra recently ?     As you & I know, there was a point where their maintenance was slipping, so some of us stopped staying there. 
However, I did try it as a "short time" hotel, when my guest failed to bring ID to the Tarntawan.   The room I had was fine.  

9 hours ago, Min said:

Why don't you try Le Meridien? It became my hotel of choice in Silom after two stays there.

Price difference?

I worked as a hotel GM for a big part of my life, I can't justify the price difference. I still get rate benefits at Hilton, yet they're too far away from the "scene".

The Tarntawan has always provided a decent experience, even when they were at 50usd a night. But at 20-25usd w/b'fast, I can't see my way to spend more than that....I had a friend stay at Meridien and I visited, very nice staff and rooms but not to pay 125usd or more a night....as Tomcal would say "you know how many guys that is?"

17 minutes ago, floridarob said:

Price difference?

Exactly.   My last holiday was almost 90 days.   If I start spending over 4000 baht per night, that would be a substantial increase in budget, with very little tangible benefit.

I have certain minimum standards (regarding quality, location, features, other customers etc) and work up the price scale until I find hotels that meet those standards at a competitive cost.

I appreciate that some might be happy to spend a lot more, particularly for shorter holidays.   

13 hours ago, vinapu said:

K's son is 3 or 4 if that much and yes , he is a baby. Obviously K was very drunk , perhaps too drunk. What you guys did to my boy? He was sober all the time with me, rarely even drinking beer and one can the most.

My story is that on my first trip to BKK in 2003 I met a wonderful guy at Tomahawk Bar, where Tawan is now located. He was also a single Dad with two young boys. We had many great years of meeting there in BKK. My final time to meet him he was working at BBB Bar as a Waiter. He saw me come in and immediately wanted to take me out and down the Soi! Turns out it was to meet both of his STR8 sons who were working in the Bar and the Restaurant there. Both just as handsome as their Dad. Wonderful memories...

10 hours ago, Min said:

as others said above , too expensive. I rather spent money on overpaying my offs.

While every trip I try to splurge or 2-3 nights on something better - better hotel or more spacious room in existing one, just to see how it is I find additional amenities and luxuries don't do much for me. I'm not one to try to impress my guests either.

What I found about luxury accommodation when I try it,  is that I tend to spend more time inside basking in that opulence while bare bones room seem to chase me away. What I do like is spacious room, it's why I like Classrooms in Pattaya. Big size , not too much of furniture, dancing size of free space. 

I grew up in cramped apartment and this is possibly reason I like all that useless space.

I'm not saying spending money on better accommodation is a waste but that it does not to much for me.

Quite possible in the future I will try Le Meridien for those 2 nights of better accommodation, tried Amara , tried Crown Plaza, why not?.

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

In fact, hotel prices for my two up-coming trips (July and November) have been reassuring.  BKK, Chiang Mai and Jomtien.

that true but I wouldn't count on that lasting too long and my advice would be to book suitable accommodation  as soon as travel plans are crystalized.

Most hotels I stay in December raised their prices substantially by next trip in May. Some still offer penalty free cancellation almost up to the last day.

7 hours ago, z909 said:

I think on balance, I'd prefer the Furama Sathorn over the Tarntawan.

Whilst in the Tarntawan, one guest couldn't get in with no ID, 

Incidentally, I rarely book hotel breakfast,

Have you tried the Nantra recently ?     As you & I know, there was a point where their maintenance was slipping, so some of us stopped staying there. 

you did much better job than me comparing Tarntawan to Furama Sathorn, thank you .

At end of day whatever choice one makes it will work.

On my last trip my first night was in Tarntawan and while desk was still there by elevator it was not manned so chances are that they abandoned that ID checking, definitely they did not do to my guest 

As for breakfast is not necessity ever since Foodland Patpong was awarded 7th Michelin star even if they raised price of their breakfast by 5 baht but if hotel offers it and price difference , if any , is sensible  I go for it. In Furama case it was lime 100 baht for 2.

Often  hotels are offering free or economically priced breakfast only for certain rooms, at times chepest , at times most expensive so it's worth to comb through offers.

Nantra seemed closed in May, not sure they are opened but we can ask reader to check as he may be passing by there daily on his walks.

Yes they started slacking on maintenance and in meantime other places in vicinity offered similar pricing so I stopped staying there even before covid .

Yes , we can take advantage of cheap rates and   book rooms for possible short time engagement. I did it with The Venue this trip and with Furama Silom and some hotel on Beach Rd in Pattaya in December and utilized them way it was intended, Actually in Venue it was whole , steamy night( A/C was working )as reported already.

7 hours ago, jason1975 said:

It's my hotel of choice too! Staff on night duty know my routine - out at 9pm and back at midnight with friend!

not that I care but staff at every hotel I stay with exception of possibly Classrooms with their discreet key operated  entrance knows my routine .

Out in the morning with guy  in tow going for breakfast, somebody coming mid-day  and   2-3 hrs. later I'm walking guy in at least to the street ( I always do that unless guy who came was flop, then I don't care), out at 7.30-8.30 and back with  friend (rarely two of them).

3 hours ago, spoon said:

He want to rape you? 🤨

if polite question ' can I rape you ? " is considered rape, than answer is yes.

I declined because I don't have habit of being raped on odd day and in fact on even days either.

32 minutes ago, GWMinUS said:

My story is that on my first trip to BKK in 2003 I met a wonderful guy at Tomahawk Bar, where Tawan is now located. He was also a single Dad with two young boys.... My final time to meet him he was working at BBB Bar as a Waiter. He saw me come in and immediately wanted to take me out and down the Soi! Turns out it was to meet both of his STR8 sons who were working in the Bar and the Restaurant there.

I have feeling I know who you are talking about. He proudly showed  me his sons working as well. No need to be jealous , we just talked as he helped me to make sure certain Yo will see me as soon as he reports for work . On my last trip before covid I saw him working in one of massage places along  Suriwong , not sure in what capacity, masseur or captain.

did Tarntawan ever get rid of the concrete beds? I stayed there just once on my first ever visit to Thailand. The beds were so hard...it was my first intro to Asian style mattresses I guess. 

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza on my most recent trips. Not perfect, but the location is great. And I am a bit of an IHG loyalist. But I agree that Le Meridien is quite nice. Haven't been there since SPG was taken over by Marriott.

• Members
16 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

did Tarntawan ever get rid of the concrete beds? I stayed there just once on my first ever visit to Thailand. The beds were so hard...it was my first intro to Asian style mattresses I guess. 

I've stayed at the Crowne Plaza on my most recent trips. Not perfect, but the location is great. And I am a bit of an IHG loyalist. But I agree that Le Meridien is quite nice. Haven't been there since SPG was taken over by Marriott.

I stay at Crown Plaza too.  But I am sure you know why people stay at Tarntawan, it is a lot cheaper, and it comes with free breakfasts (anytime of the day, so basically you get one free meal per day).  

Crown Plaza and Dusit Thani are probably the only 4+ star hotels closest to Silom soi 2 and 4.  But Crown Plaza has nicer rooms given similiar prices as Dusit.  Dusit's basic rooms are really outdated.

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Wasn't it across from where Tawan is....?

Used the wayback machine to look at DreadedNed from back then, just to back up my memories. Was one of my go to bars at the time 😉

https://web.archive.org/web/20000613042411/http://dreadedned.com/source/venue/bkk/bkk-mssp.htm

no , map shows old Tawan location ( # 27 ), now bar moved across the soi and quite possible it's in old Tomahawk location (#26). I remember Tomahawk but can't swear it was exactly in that unit.

By the way , random look at Dreaded Ned website back on 2001  made me interested on Thailand when I was planning Burma and Cambodia trip so I can say  his website is father of my 22 Thai trips 

13 minutes ago, scott456 said:

Crown Plaza and Dusit Thani are probably the only 4+ star hotels closest to Silom soi 2 and 4.  But Crown Plaza has nicer rooms given similiar prices as Dusit.  Dusit's basic rooms are really outdated.

For info, Dusit Thani is now a construction site. It closed well over a year ago.

Le Meridien has been mentioned and I agree it's a great hotel. There were some really good rate packages during the pandemic, but I can't find any now. It has gone back to being a 5* pretty expensive hotel, sadly.

30 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

I heard those complaints about beds many times but after so many trips and so many hotels, which I change every 2-3 nights just for fun I still can't say I know what it is all about. Nothing wrong with Tarntawan beds as far as I see other than at times they seem to be cold so I need to organize bed warmer. But this is a case of all hotels in Thailand I ever stay

18 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I stay at Crown Plaza too.  But I am sure you know why people stay at Tarntawan, it is a lot cheaper, and it comes with free breakfasts (anytime of the day, so basically you get one free meal per day).  

Crown Plaza and Dusit Thani are probably the only 4+ star hotels closest to Silom soi 2 and 4.  But Crown Plaza has nicer rooms given similiar prices as Dusit.

Dusit Thani is just memory without beds and at the same time construction place like Peter just reported above. Hotel, once tallest building in Thailand,   was razed last year I guess.

I stay at Crowne Plaza for 4 night over Christmas last year, took advantage of covid slump and their low (relatively at 1800 baht, breakfast in ) rates. Now they raised them substantially.

I liked it there, breakfast was kind of opulent but will not stay there until perhaps next slump, God forbid ( slump , not stay), just too costly for cheap skate like me. Room was  well appointed and organized with great view but quite small, half of Raya's Executive Suite for the same price (then , now perhaps twice ).

but for people who like to splurge on hotels Crowne Plaza is definitely recommended, location , location , location

57 minutes ago, scott456 said:

and it comes with free breakfasts (anytime of the day

Only during breakfast hours now.....

58 minutes ago, scott456 said:

But I am sure you know why people stay at Tarntawan, it is a lot cheaper,

I have friends that only stay at Four Seasons and Waldorf and wouldn't think of the Meridien or heaven forbid a Crowne PLaza....... Ohhhh, there are MUCH cheaper places, if money was the only objective 😲

I don't recall cement beds at the Tarntawan....