LGBT Targeted Violence

For people in the US - be aware attending any Pride related events - or even in bars, clubs, restaurants.  The 31 Patriot Front members arrested in Idaho last weekend were armed and going to a Pride event in Idaho.  The goal was chaos, intimidation & violence.  Online chatter among these hate groups has spiked in recent weeks and they are getting more aggressive in speech & actions targeting LGBT people, community & events.  It can happen at any time and anywhere.  Remember what happened at Pulse nightclub in Orlando ??  

I’ve never felt threatened before in public settings, but now I find myself scanning the the room/crowd to look for closest exit and if anything seems off.  Not paranoid, but realistic about growing threats to our community.  Be safe.

2 hours ago, Slvkguy said:

For people in the US - be aware attending any Pride related events - or even in bars, clubs, restaurants.

or take your guns with you when going out , after all you can, 2nd amendment  and all ,  no?

It would be nice headline " 11 Patriot Front members shot and 20 wounded, 17 seriously in brawl in gay club in rural Idaho during Pride event. No gay was harmed mysteriously" 

• Members

We have never been safe, some delude themselves to think they are, and in some liberal bastions it's easier to maintain the illusion.  

There was only one religious nutjub at WeHo pride a couple weeks ago, how long until he or someone like him decides a gun will get more attention than his current failing shtick?  

Orlando gay club shooting: The victims - Attitude.co.uk

I'm not saying be afraid or hide away, I'm saying go out, be bold, but also be ready to fight for yourself if it comes to it or at least be extra aware of your location, the people around you, and how to leave.  

_

• Members

More armed gays is the American solution, sure.  

Glock G19 Gen3 Compact 9mm Sig Pink, Brushed Stainless, Stainless Steel  Slide, Ameriglo Sights, RMR, Laser Engraved - FFL

Except for two things:

Even in places where CCW (Carrying a Conceded Weapon permit) is legal/commonplace, it is never legal to do so while drinking and many places ban them regardless.  

Basic understanding of statistics.  We are already a community with sky-high rates of depression and related drug-use, self harm and suicide, if it's easier (due to immediate access to a firearm) then vastly will more succeed--never get a chance to reconsider.  A gun in the home is much more likely to be used against the owner or their family than the right-wingnut fantasy of heroic self defense.  I truly wish every single "pro-gun" person was made to understand the rates of accident, suicide and domestic violence when a gun is added to the home!  This is one of several reasons I don't support giving guns out to teachers or anybody else like free doughnuts...  They will literally increase the death rate of whatever population you're discussing.  

-

21 minutes ago, JKane said:

We have never been safe, some delude themselves to think they are, and in some liberal bastions it's easier to maintain the illusion

unfortunately, I agree 

Unfortunately it's just not white supremacists it's also certain religion groups and religious fanatics who don't approve of gay people,some countries still execute etc .

Middle East ,Africa etc are known for their intolerance sadly all in the name of religion.

I'm not a religious person but have a Filipino boyfriend who was heavily involved in the church that was working up to 40 hours a week for them  for free as well as doing his full time job during the week.

After they found out he was gay he was disowned and they even forbid his family from seeing him.

Its very sad that religious people are so unkind 

I feel very sorry for him that his family over in the Philippines have been told to disown him.

He is here in Australia with me and no family contact 😥😥

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

they will find him when they need the money

Absolutely right!!! 

His mother had made contact last week and he just admitted he sent her a few thousand dollars as he felt guilty about it, suddenly she needs money for phones etc 

35 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Absolutely right!!! 

His mother had made contact last week and he just admitted he sent her a few thousand dollars as he felt guilty about it, suddenly she needs money for phones etc 

gay son is not OK but since money has no sexual preferences, they are ok with his banknotes

8 hours ago, vinapu said:

gay son is not OK but since money has no sexual preferences, they are ok with his banknotes

What always amazes me is the strength of family ties throughout most of Asia. I have a good friend in Bangkok whose partner has a Burmese father and mother was Thai. At the age of 8 the boy went off to school in the morning. He knew his mother had not been well for a couple of months but nothing more. When he returned from school, she was dead of cancer. The father had not told him or his siblings how serious her illness was and so he was not able to say goodbye to her. He was totally devastated.

After his sister married a Thai and came to live in Bangkok, he moved here and was able to finish his studies. He felt desperately lonely. Young Thais don't hold anyone who is even half Burmese in much affection. Some of the money he earned from part time jobs when studying would be sent back to his father. After he'd been together with my friend for two years, he told his father he is gay. My friend did everything possible to stop him from doing that, but he had made up his mind. The father then cut him off entirely.

Even so, he still sends a small amount of money each month. Again my friend has tried everything to persuade him to stop sending anything until his father accepts him as his son again. He promised to think seriously about it, but still sends the money.

Violence against gays takes multiple forms but the most damaging in the long term, I think, is ostracism from family and former friends. That’s how many of us found our way to Thailand and can not imagine a life now that doesn’t include it. 

As I sat in a non-gay bar the other evening with a much younger man, both enjoying the music and atmosphere, no one took notice that was evident to me. That itself was worth the long trip and cost of getting here in the first place.

To me, that was what I truly yearned for.

On 6/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, vinapu said:

or take your guns with you when going out , after all you can, 2nd amendment  and all ,  no?

I think this was meant in jest, but it’s a real argument for many people - more guns will somehow solve the problem.  As we witnessed in Uvalde, TX - there were dozens of armed law enforcement outside that school, but all afraid of the shooter inside who had an automatic AK-47.  The many police were outgunned & intimidated by one shooter with a weapon of war.

The US now has 400,000,000 guns in circulation - with a population of about 330 million.  Mass shootings happening several times per week with no end in sight.  We still have to live - just be super aware of your surroundings & have an exit plan.  It can happen so fast. 

Add in an increasingly aggressive & violent white supremacist movement armed with these guns and it’s more mass shootings just waiting to happen.  Targeting POC, LGBTQIA folk and anyone else different from white people afraid of losing their power. Sad & pathetic 

From Bangkok Post 

Russian detained in Pattaya over death of transgender lover

Police in Pattaya have detained a Russian man whose transgender girlfriend was found slain in a locked room at her house in Prasat district of Surin on Wednesday.

The man, whose name was not known, was reportedly tracked down by the signal from the mobile phone he allegedly took from his dead lover. He was about 30 years old.

He was arrested on Wednesday night and was being taken back to the lower northeastern province for DNA testing. If his sample matched evidence found at the scene, he would be formally arrested and charged with murder, reports said.

The body of Thiraphong Lamluea, 31, was found inside a closed room at her two-storey house in tambon Kang-an around 4.30pm on Wednesday.

She had three children and Thiraphong was the eldest and the main breadwinner of the family. He had been romantically involved with a Russian man for  6-7 months. They met in Phuket.