CurtisD

A Proper Return :)

1 hour ago, CurtisD said:

And then we sit and stare at each other because we have run not out of conversation, but out of words. It’s not the first time, and after this many days together it is becoming obvious. Because we observe each other we understand each other well in simple things and we are in tune with each other’s mood.

🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

16 hours ago, CurtisD said:

If anyone has any recommendations for how to learn Thai, please let me know.

Firstly, great report. It's a very heartwarming read, I also really enjoy your observations about your relationship and difference in perspective with Bangkok Guy.

I found myself wanting to learn some basic Thai to help my communication as well, although I am only 3 months in I have found the option that is working best for me is an app called Ling. I had also tried Youtube and looked for other apps with Thai as an option, but Ling is so far the only one I have found that has helped me gain a few new words and phrases for my vocabulary.

There is a Thai massage boy I see in my hometown back in falangland, I'm considering asking if he wants to earn a little extra and spend some time with me to practice when I have a bit more confidence in my tones and pronunciation.

2 hours ago, vaughn said:

I found myself wanting to learn some basic Thai to help my communication as well, although I am only 3 months in I have found the option that is working best for me is an app called Ling. I had also tried Youtube and looked for other apps with Thai as an option, but Ling is so far the only one I have found that has helped me gain a few new words and phrases for my vocabulary.

Thank you for the tip.   I will try Ling.

I've been looking for podcasts and have used ThaiPod101.  However, it's far from optimized, with a lot of time spent on not actually learning Thai within each one. 

Further suggestions are welcome.   

2 hours ago, vaughn said:

There is a Thai massage boy I see in my hometown back in falangland, I'm considering asking if he wants to earn a little extra and spend some time with me to practice when I have a bit more confidence in my tones and pronunciation.

You're lucky to have such a service.

A few years ago, I used to visit one who lives with a boyfriend in a town to the North of London.   He was very good at the massage part, probably the best I've ever known.   Then he returned to Thailand & that was the end of it.     I was hoping to see him on one of the phone apps when I last went to Chiang Mai, but no such luck.

Also, a Filipino student.  His massage technique wasn't up to much, but he was good at other aspects.   Obviously he eventually finished his studies and left.

I'm struggling to find good replacements for those two.

There is one I sometimes see now, but a quite a bit older, mainly professional, operating in a room at the back of a hairdressing salon, with restricted hours.

16 hours ago, z909 said:

You're lucky to have such a service.

A few years ago, I used to visit one who lives with a boyfriend in a town to the North of London.   He was very good at the massage part, probably the best I've ever known.   Then he returned to Thailand & that was the end of it.     I was hoping to see him on one of the phone apps when I last went to Chiang Mai, but no such luck.

Also, a Filipino student.  His massage technique wasn't up to much, but he was good at other aspects.   Obviously he eventually finished his studies and left.

I'm struggling to find good replacements for those two.

There is one I sometimes see now, but a quite a bit older, mainly professional, operating in a room at the back of a hairdressing salon, with restricted hours.

I consider myself very spoilt with the options I have outside of Thailand. My city had a lot of international university students from Asia before covid, and although most returned home, I eagerly await the return of what was once very fertile hunting grounds 😄

1 hour ago, CurtisD said:

Making Things Click

I can make a list of many things, but however long the list it would not explain why Bangkok Guy and I click as we do. Something just works, and to my surprise and delight keeps on working.

Since I can’t explain it, I will give the last word to Bangkok Guy.

Lounging Thai-style on the deck after lunch at Koh Lipe a self-assured bird struts around hunting crumbs. Bangkok Guy sees me watching it. “Chicken”. “No, I think it is Mynah bird”. “Is chicken”. On my iphone I look up Mynah bird and show Bangkok Guy the picture. A pause, and with a serious “this is fact face” given the lie by a slight smile at the edges of the mouth and eyes “In Thailand is chicken”.

It's times like these I find that I just have to smile. yes, chicken.