12is12

Non-sex tourism advice please

Hi Guys,

M planning a visit in Nov, to Pataya and the south - Phuket, Koh Samui, etc....   M looking for desinations and activities beyond lying on the beach.

Please offer me the benefit of ur experience. How would u structure such a trip? Where to go, how much time, what to do?

Thx (-:

Island hopping, the best beaches are not in the main island in Pattaya, and phuket is known for the islands surrounding it. 

There are also a lot of temples in Pattaya. Am not sure if the dolphin attraction is back open again

As far as islands are concerned, the more "off the beaten track" , the better they are. Go south, young man, and if you don't like the idea of a sea ferry, there's always Krabi.

For me, the pearl in Thailand's crown is the far north. Chiang Rai is an excellent base for touring. The driving is easy, the roads quiet, the views spectacular and, if you prefer to hire a  driver, we've always been able to get one for about 1000bht a day.

Hotels at all prices and my favourite night market. 

42 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

M planning a visit in Nov, to Pataya and the south - Phuket, Koh Samui, etc....   M looking for desinations and activities beyond lying on the beach.

Please offer me the benefit of ur experience. How would u structure such a trip? Where to go, how much time, what to do?

Thx (-:

You're asking how I would structure a such a trip, so here we go:

1  Book and stay in Pattaya, for as long as you plan.

2  Have a flight booked to the furthest south point you are considering going to.  Check if you can fly from UTupao.  

3  Book a hotel for the first couple of nights, then don't plan or book anything else in advance.    Then head slowly north overland, stopping off wherever you want.  

Once you get near the railway line, try to make good use of that.   If you need to use roads, full size buses are better than those minivans.

Just make sure you get back to Bangkok in time for your departure flight.   

One other observation, if you're looking for activities beyond lying on a beach, there are some other compelling destinations.    Heading across the border to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is top of my list.     Or head north to Ayyuthaya, Sukothai and Chiang Mai, flying in one direction and taking the train in the other.

When travelling around, not booking too far in advance gives the flexibility to stay longer in a town you like and to quickly move on if you're bored.   However, gone are my days of walking around looking for a hotel after arriving in a town.    I use the booking apps, but typically only booking on the day I arrive, or the day before. 

For the "fixed" part of my holiday, in one location, I still tend to book in advance.   Particularly over peak season.

I would recommend Krabi, by long tail boat round to Railay Beach, a promontory walled off from the mainland by mountains so you have to take a boat around. No roads so no cars or motorbikes, lots of life though, good resorts and many bars and restaurants. Try Sand Sea Resort for lovely rooms. You can even go rock climbing if you fancy it.