ichigo

My long-awaited and glorious return to Thailand

3 minutes ago, ichigo said:

My final night tonight here in Bangkok before I am off to Chiang Mai for a few days and have not yet decided where to go yet. Should I try new twilight? Or dreamboys/freshboys/hotmale again? 

As much as I loved catching up with mamasan Paul at New Twilight, the show and quality of guys just weren't enough for me to want to go back, so it would be a toss up between Dreamboys, Freshboys, and HotMale if it were me. I personally would love to hear about another HotMale experience.

1 hour ago, ichigo said:

My final night tonight here in Bangkok before I am off to Chiang Mai for a few days and have not yet decided where to go yet. Should I try new twilight? Or dreamboys/freshboys/hotmale again? 

I recommend Freshboys or Hotmale. New Twilight has few guys - not more than 10. Or if you want, go to New Twilight at 10pm first and look at the guys on stage. If no one takes your fancy, proceed to Freshboys and Hotmale.

6 hours ago, ichigo said:

I'll start with coincidences in this post - firstly, I went to 7/11 twice yesterday (the one right next to Tarntawan - so handy) at quite different times of the day (one in the afternoon and the other after midnight), and BOTH times I bumped into the guy that I offed from Tawan on my first night. What are the chances? Second coincidence was a bit random too - whilst in 7/11 (the 2nd time), I saw a guy there who looked familiar (perhaps I saw him at the hotel or at a bar), anyway as I was going back to the hotel, so was he and he got into the lift with 2 guys and I took the stairs. When reaching my floor, said guy (and one of the other guys that got in the lift) got out of the lift on my floor and went to their room, which happened to be next door to mine.. again, what are the chances?

Looks like you should go to 7/11 again before Chiangmai. Third time's a charm :)

17 hours ago, scott456 said:

So far I haven't seen anything "glorious" from you.

Sorry to hear you feel that way!

13 hours ago, Min said:

Looks like you should go to 7/11 again before Chiangmai. Third time's a charm :)

I mean I wouldn't mind so much if I actually wanted to off the guy again, but I kinda don't lol..

On 7/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, jason1975 said:

I recommend Freshboys or Hotmale. New Twilight has few guys - not more than 10. Or if you want, go to New Twilight at 10pm first and look at the guys on stage. If no one takes your fancy, proceed to Freshboys and Hotmale.

Was at New Twilight on my 5th night in Bangkok, around 15 boys on rotation, the whole night there were only 8 customers from 10pm to midnight. Only one of the 4 waiters on duties was offed by a customer at the end of show. At the second show segment ,  I was the only customer watching, tipped all the 6 performers for their efforts to keep the shows going even with only one customer. The location may not be known by many people, they are giving 5 months time in the hope that more customers will come.

1 hour ago, andylee801 said:

Was at New Twilight on my 5th night in Bangkok, around 15 boys on rotation, the whole night there were only 8 customers from 10pm to midnight. Only one of the 4 waiters on duties was offed by a customer at the end of show. At the second show segment ,  I was the only customer watching, tipped all the 6 performers for their efforts to keep the shows going even with only one customer. The location may not be known by many people, they are giving 5 months time in the hope that more customers will come.

New Twilight is on a street that had 3 gay bars pre-covid, so the street is "known" & has had gay bars for decades.    In addition to this street, there is another popular bar just around the corner.

They were a little slow putting this on google maps, but that is now done.   A search for "gay bars" does not find it, so a little more work is needed.

Once all that is fixed, the location should not be the reason for the success or failure of the bar.    I think the reasons which will determine it's success are:

1  The bar offer.    Do they offer what the customer expects and at an appropriate price point ?        

(i)  Now I'm not sure what the current dress code is, but I have read reports of boys in jeans.   There was a poll on this board which emphatically shows that our members don't prefer that.     In my case, if the boys on stage are wearing trousers, I expect to pay host bar prices, not gogo prices.

(ii)  I also expect to see some cute twinks.   If the bar has bigger muscular guys, I'm not interested.    I'm even less interested if those big muscular guys describe themselves as models and think they are worth 5000 baht.     Of course, some members may like this, but I think this business model would be competing directly with several other bars.     If almost every gogo bar is trying to do the same thing, they compete for the same pool of customers.    If they add a few twinks, the only current competition is Fresh Boys and in any case, this diversity would attract a broader range of customers.  

(iii)   If they really must do "shows", how about doing something more imaginative then the formulaic lady boy acts and other stuff with boring muscular guys in poor light ?

(iv)   The music must not be loud enough to deter customers.    If my memory is correct, some members complained about this ?

2  If marketed to foreign tourists, how many are coming to Thailand ?

#2 should fix itself in time and is out of their control.   The bar needs to concentrate on #1.    

They shouldn't be making excuses about the location (which they selected).

Just concentrate on having the best gay gogo bar in Bangkok and then the customers will find it.

If they fail on any of the points listed above, some customers will just look inside the door and walk away.   
If they are too dumb to find out what is deterring the customers, they will slowly find out if they have a viable business with the customers that remain.  

1 hour ago, flashbarryallen said:

@z909New Twilight tried the model thing in the beginning, but they have now moved away from that. The captain Paul informed me of that. I would describe the boys on offer here as next door types. Other than Lucky, one of the dancers, I would hesitate to use the word muscular to describe the guys here, with the performers being more on the toned/swimmer build type rather than muscular.

Upon entering before a show, boys are in street clothes. You don't see them without shirts until after the show. 

If you want a better understanding of what guys here look like, take a look at the pictures from Buzz Host Bar on Facebook. I would also describe the guys who work there as next door types.

I agree. And some of them are really handsome and good looking!

2 hours ago, flashbarryallen said:

Upon entering before a show, boys are in street clothes. You don't see them without shirts until after the show.

I won't see them without shirts at all, as if they want to charge gogo prices for fully dressed lads, I'll be right back out of the door within 20 seconds.   Even faster if the music is too loud.

The lack of customers is not just due to the location.

12 hours ago, ichigo said:

The past few days have been spent in Chiang Mai, which I’ll get to soon but my last night in Bangkok (part 1) I didn’t end up going to any bars. I was feeling quite lethargic so I decided just to rest that night (sacrilegious I know..). I will be coming back to Bangkok soon so I’ll have plenty of time for more bar fun times.

My first time in Chiang Mai and it’s quite a nice place, lots of tourists and expats here. On my first day I hired a guide from Siam roads and we went around Doi Inthanon national park, went to the highest point in Thailand (amazing how the weather is so much different at the top of the mountain - it was quite cool), looked at some waterfalls which were beautiful and also visited Pha Chor which is a really cool rock formation. So many steps up and down though throughout the day. I was wrecked by the end of it. The second day I walked the perimeter of the old city which took a good few hours as I had to stop 3 times when it started raining.

The hotel I stayed at was DusitD2 which was quite good, it has a pool and gym etc but I didn’t check them out. This hotel had carpet which I hadn’t ever seen in a Thai hotel before, and it didn’t have a bum gun which was disappointing. But it was neat and tidy.

I visited classic house a couple of times, massages were good, and afters were also good. Nothing particular earth shattering but enjoyable nonetheless. Coincidentally the 2 guys that I chose (on separate occasions) both had mooks - first time I’ve encountered them.

Next stop is Phuket for a bit, then back to Bangkok. Tossing up whether to go to Pattaya first though..

What is a mook?

19 hours ago, z909 said:

I won't see them without shirts at all, as if they want to charge gogo prices for fully dressed lads, I'll be right back out of the door within 20 seconds.   Even faster if the music is too loud.

The lack of customers is not just due to the location.

@z909You're definitely not the only one who feels this way. I saw other farang take a look in the bar and walk right back out with clear disappointment in their eyes.

Paul told me that they will eventually be in shorts, but that will be too little too late I believe given the timeline you mentioned. Only thing that could possibly, though not guaranteed, save it is China miraculously letting a flood of tourists venture into Thailand.

I forget who I heard this from but apparently Tawan's move to the smaller location is an attempt to cut back on costs until things pick up even more. The goal is to eventually get an upgraded space. I wouldn't be surprised, though I know you'd be disappointed, if Tawan eventually takes over the New Twilight space. The reality is they have something special that people (but I know not you) will seek out no matter the location.

Then again, I actually like the more intimate Tawan location now. 

I saw other farang take a look in the bar and walk right back out with clear disappointment in their eyes.

Paul told me that they will eventually be in shorts, but that will be too little too late. 

If the bar management are not constantly observing customer behaviour and adjusting their offering until they are attracting customers, they deserve to fail.

If you see customers taking a look and walking straight back out, why are they not doing that & asking why ?    If the customers walk into the bar and leave, the problem is not the location.

II wouldn't be surprised, though I know you'd be disappointed, if Tawan eventually takes over the New Twilight space.

Actually, I wouldn't be disappointed.

My "optimistic" scenario involves New Twilight stuffing the bar full of cute twinks wearing under sized white underwear and then, the same twinks participate in the show, minus the underwear. 

However, that is far too much to hope for.

The "base" assumption is that they carry on as they are, with a pretty average selection of lads* who are over dressed, but they still try to charge gogo prices.   Then, eventually, the bar closes.   That's the price of having management too dumb to manage.

If Tawan takes over the premises, for me, it's no different to the current scenario.    We still have a bar that I'm unlikely to patronise.    Fans of Tawan may or may not like another change of premises.  

I suspect fans of Tawan go there for the boys and don't care if the premises are glitzy or plain, as long as they don't stick to the seats.

[* My comment on the selection of lads is based on what I see on their Facebook page & takes into account my preferences for the type of lad.  So not necessarily fair -but like all the other customers not staying, I decide how to spend my money.   I think someone who has actually been there made similar comments about the boys recently]