Olddaddy

To tip or not ?

9 hours ago, jason1975 said:

I never knew the appropriate amount to tip for foot massages.

For me, for a foot massage I tip 100 baht.  If it is especially good and significantly better than usual, I'll tip more, but I think 100 baht for a standard foot massage is adequate, appropriate, and expected.  Most foot massage venues offer a choice of a 30 minute massage or a full hour massage.  For me, it doesn't matter.  Either way I tip 100 baht.  The masseurs always seem quite pleased with that.

Of course, those of you who wish to be more generous with your tips than I am, the masseurs will be very pleased.

I have often read from posters that their masseur was pleased, very pleased, overjoyed, happy, thrilled,  etc with their tips (no matter how low). However,  in all my experiences I have never received anything other than, "thank you" even though my tip was 1000 Baht for a massage and a happy ending. Sometimes a good massage, sometimes a mediocre massage, sometimes a happy ending and sometimes a not so happy ending.

Responding to the original post:

In all the times that I have been in Thailand, I can't recall an occasion when the foot massager assigned to me was a ladyboy. Most of the time, they are quite clearly straight lads. But if I was put on the spot like you were by a foot massager going on about tips, I would probably have stopped the session midway and spoken to the manager, asking for a change. At the very least, I would speak to the manager before I left even if I chose to let the session continue.

I believe the key question was how much to tip under such circumstances. I wouldn't tip. I agree with z909: "there's a moral obligation to NOT tip bad service, as it means behaviour will continue unchanged and other customers will suffer."

It is irrelevant whether the foot massager gets a sort of salary from the shop or not, though my information from two of these workers some years back was that they do. These two were unusual in that they were not straight lads, and were more than happy to meet after work and provide erotic services in my hotel room, where I took the opportunity to ask them about the business model in foot massage shops. It's irrelevant too how poor their families are. I am not in Thailand to perform charity. If I buy a service, they should provide it to satisfaction. 

Responding to the discussion about how much to tip in normal circumstances:

If my memory serves me, the typical one hour foot massage would be priced at 250 - 400 baht, depending on how touristy the location is. My rule of thumb is to tip the worker 50% to 100% of the listed price. In theory, quality of service should determine whether it's closer to 50% or 100%, but, to be frank, I don't really know how to judge quality for foot massages. The dirty secret is probably how handsome the foot massager is, and how friendly he is. Did my heart flutter? is the test. A pretty face, nice bod and a sweet smile may well raise the quality rating in my estimation, haha. Which also means that if I was assigned a female worker she'd never make it past the bare 50%. Nothing would have fluttered and she could never be pretty enough. 🤪

To tip 50 to 100 percent of the listed price seems very exessive to me , of course everyone can do with their money whatever they want but first workers do get part of the fee from the shop and do not rely on tips only second the Thai culture do not obligated to the tips practice as we know in the west so for regular massage I tend to tip 100 Bht for one hour service regardless the price of it ,if I am taking 2 hours massage I will give 200 Bht , if the service is poor I won't give any tip but luckily it never happened to me.sometimes I tend to do the massages with the same masseur if I like him/her the whole stay of my visit in this case at the last session as farewell present I do give 500 to 1000 Bht . For happy ending/ sex massage it's different (I did only once or twice because I don't like it if I want massage I am taking professional masseur and if I want sex I take a boy from a bar or one of the of the apps to my room ) I see it as a sex service and not a massage so tips and costs should be higher of course and depends on the shop rates and the negotiation between the masseurs and their clients.

12 hours ago, floridarob said:

Or stand on a go-go stage and listen to the comments about how chubby, ugly, queeny, etc....you are 😲

I've never heard a customer make such comments in a gogo bar.    

As for discussion on forums like this, well the whole idea is to inform each other about what is on offer in a gogo bar.     As long as the praise or criticism isn't aimed at specific named bar employees, it can't do much harm.