Min

Min's tidbits about my Thailand and Vietnam experiences

33 minutes ago, kjun12 said:

Edited 10 minutes ago by kjun12 
I think my comment is inappropriiate.

I think so, too.

The original poster, Min, decided to write about his trip to Phnom Pehn in this thread and around 20 posts on PP were made before mine. 

Did you not see them? Or do you have another agenda?

6 hours ago, Min said:

I stand corrected. And also Jomtien Complex makes more sense. I guess the dancer was probably confused. He might think Pattaya means Boyztown. At any rate, I'm going to be there to support the new bar when it opens.

Right? 
I'm going to ask Doug for my own seat, so I never have to leave.

1 hour ago, kjun12 said:

I tried to delete my post after I realized that what you say is totally correct.  Guess I was not successful.  My apologies.

don't worry , no harm done in my opinion, I agree that future readers of Cambodia forum would be happy to have Min's  reports related to Phnon Penh  at disposal there as they are very handy guide

I think it's probably also the case that the current young generation has lived their whole lives taking photos of themselves and their friends all day long. So in addition to possible geographical cultural differences there are also generational ones.

A tiny affection Lao boy sounds like a lot of fun.

13 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

I think it's probably also the case that the current young generation has lived their whole lives taking photos of themselves and their friends all day long. So in addition to possible geographical cultural differences there are also generational ones.

A tiny affection Lao boy sounds like a lot of fun.

you are right on both cases

On 7/1/2022 at 10:09 AM, a-447 said:

Besides, I take my sexual adventures seriously and need to be in top form!  Lol

I think Vinap also takes his sexual adventures seriously but he needs to be in bottom form.

12 hours ago, reader said:

Or in Vinapu’s case, even when he was in private room, we need to check that any devices are not active:

I agree that Vinapu should be extra careful. I would pay good money to watch that video of two brothers and their roommate if only to broaden my horizons ;)

23 hours ago, Min said:

I didn't ask Tiny Lao for anyone's pictures anyway. He just volunteered to show them. But I think he meant well. In my culture and probably that of Laos too, we tend to be more lax about privacy so we might unknowingly offend people from other cultures. Likewise, his propensity for hugging may also be interpreted as personal space violation by others too.

He's an all-right guy. Great conversationalist. I won't mind taking photo with him and the other Hotmale beer bar guys. But only if they agree to go to karaoke bar with me!

2 hours ago, Min said:

He also advertised on Hornet but no catch yet. I asked to see his Hornet's pictures and I think I can see why: the camera must hate the kid. In fact, I saw his pictures a couple of times before but didn't think much of it. Even his body looks worse in those. In person, he got my attention right off the bat with that toned body, boyish face and that little shy smile.

it's precisely why I like bar / massage experience better that apps not only because,  as you said brightly ' camera hates the guy" but also because I'm bad reading people from the pictures, even those I know very well sometimes look for me as somebody else

10 hours ago, Min said:

Out of two dozen boys currently in Fresh Boys, only 5, according to a mamasan, who rattled off their numbers and I duly took note (No 1, 8, 14, 24 and 29) are gay and can do anything.

No. 24 was trying really hard to get my attention when I was at fresh boys the other night (I'm sure he does it with all customers lol), but good to know this information for when I get back to bkk.

4 hours ago, ichigo said:

No. 24 was trying really hard to get my attention when I was at fresh boys the other night (I'm sure he does it with all customers lol), but good to know this information for when I get back to bkk.

No 24? Is the guy with some tattoos on his chest? I think he used to look very cute, but a bit wear-and-tear now. I also remember No 1 (from Cambodia) and No 8 (from Laos) very well. The former because he got a beautiful picture on Hornet, almost like a painting (a Viet waiter told me he's quite popular and got offed almost every night). The latter because he was also in the coyote dance performance and his dance moves were comparatively good. 

19 hours ago, Min said:

The next day, I started my evening in Banana Room outside. Bought a drink for one host who spoke decent English (again, he used to have an American boyfriend for about a year so no surprises here) and got some intel.

Banana Room actually has three bars. Downstairs, the outside bar serves as a beer bar (my soft drink 80B, in line with other bars in the soi), the inside bar - as a go-go (when I moved inside I had to buy a new drink at 350B). The bars downstairs close at midnight, at which they start the upstairs one that stays open until 4 am. Host showed me videos of the upstairs bar. It was pretty roomy and packed with customers, DJ station-level packed. Looks like this is the cash cow for Banana Room (owner is straight Thai with a wife) as I didn't much activities in both bars downstairs during my last two visits.

So outside downstairs, they currently have 4 hosts (3 from Laos and 1 from Myanmar, 3 gays and 1 straight). Unfortunately the cutest one, a Laotian, that I would off is straight. He had a girlfriend and wasn't allowed (by his girlfriend?) to go with customers, Host told me.

But in my previous visit, I saw that boy in underwear standing on the stage inside as a go-go boy. Sometimes, when there were too few boys inside, boss would ask him to double as a go-go so the stage would look less empty. Host explained. So does he go with customers when he's inside? Nobody knows. Or, probably, everyone knows but his girlfriend doesn't.

Inside downstairs, they have around 10 go-go staff. Host admitted that they didn't have the strongest cast in the soi and some boys never had any customers since they worked there. Then why they kept coming back? Because boss paid each 200 per night just for showing up.

Host said he himself gets paid 8000 per month and for that salary, he starts his work at 3 pm, serving in the outside downstairs bar until mid night, then moving upstairs to continue working as bartender until 4am. That means 14 hours a day for 8000 a month. It doesn't seem fair even though he can stay for free in the bar.

He said he went to bed at 6am and when he wakes up, it's time to start his work again. That grueling schedule also means he can go with customers on his off days only. He also earned tips from the bartender gig, but usually just around 100-120B per night. That was enough to cover his food expenses.

Thank you for sharing the boy's account of his life. Poor fella. 8k a month but with free accomodation seems paltry. From what I know, a barista at coffee cafe earns 15k a month in Bangkok but without free accomodation of course.

I like Banana Bar because the guys wear white underwear on stage. Interesting to note that there is a disco at midnight.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:26 PM, jason1975 said:

Thank you for sharing the boy's account of his life. Poor fella. 8k a month but with free accomodation seems paltry. From what I know, a barista at coffee cafe earns 15k a month in Bangkok but without free accomodation of course.

He's also at disadvantage because he's foreigner and not legally allowed to work, so can't ask for the same pay as Thai.

Anyway, I talked to a new Thai waiter at Panorama (Pattaya) last night, who just started 4 days ago. He got paid between 4000 and 6000 per month for a shift starting from 4pm until 1 or 2 am in the morning. So my 200 tip for him is already more than his whole day's pay check. I guess they must rely on tips to survive.

On 7/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, jason1975 said:

30 to 40 guys at Dreamboys? That's a lot! 

Still, just a few are actually gay :(

6 hours ago, Min said:

He got paid between 4000 and 6000 per month for a shift starting from 4pm until 1 or 2 am in the morning. So my 200 tip for him is already more than his whole day's pay check. I guess they must rely on tips to survive.

That is well below the minimum wage. Not heard of any barman getting that little.

Maybe he was “embellishing” his earnings to get a bigger tip!! 

3 hours ago, gerefan said:

That is well below the minimum wage. Not heard of any barman getting that little.

Maybe he was “embellishing” his earnings to get a bigger tip!! 

Min was referring to a waiter not a barman. Expect a barman would earn a little more. I doubt that many staff in these bars are actually paid the minimum wage.

@MinI can tell you must be an excellent conversationalist as you always seem to get such interesting insider information. Kiwi seems like such a treasure and I'm sad to hear he has had such negative experiences.

I don't think I'm a people pleaser, but in all encounters, especially paid, I constantly feel like I'm asking "Is this okay?" just to make sure that whoever I'm with feels respected. I could never do the type of work they do, not because I disrespect it, but I just could not handle the tricky and difficult situations many of them will experience. 

From your post, I think many people will be reaching out to contact Kiwi. He certainly sounds like someone I would love to meet. If you want to meet a similar guy who is very open and talkative, I suggest Suwit at Paradise Spa in Boyztown. @vinapuhas mentioned him several times in trip reports, and I can say that my massage with him was the best part of my Pattaya trip. He has an interesting story that I won't spoil for you.