Min

Min's tidbits about my Thailand and Vietnam experiences

Corrections: B.N. stands for Bass and Na (not Nut)

Here are some updated pictures of the B.N. bar

image.thumb.png.003f47b8d10431fffad1efa9ca04b753.pngNo description available.No description available.

2 hours ago, flashbarryallen said:

I don't think I'm a people pleaser, but in all encounters, especially paid, I constantly feel like I'm asking "Is this okay?" just to make sure that whoever I'm with feels respected.

To be honest, my exposure to other fellow visitors to Thailand has been mostly limited to what I read in this forum. That's why I assumed most Westerners would treat the locals at least decently, as I have no doubt you and many other members here would. So some of his sharing did shock me.

Kiwi appears to think that his Asian customers are kinder than farangs, but I don't think race and ethnicity has much to do with it. I certainly heard somewhere else a lot of stories about terrible behaviors of Chinese tourists while on tour. A Pattaya MB once told me about this Indian guy, who came to off a boy from his go-go. Customer came in, quickly picked a boy from the rotation (so that he didn't have to pay for a drink and also the boy's drink), paid the bar fine and took the boy back to his hotel. Once the business was done, he refused to give the poor boy any money, saying that he already paid the bar fine and that was enough. Boy came back to his bar empty handed so the owner or manager (I'm not sure which one) decided to bring the boy back to the hotel to confront the customer.

2 hours ago, flashbarryallen said:

If you want to meet a similar guy who is very open and talkative, I suggest Suwit at Paradise Spa in Boyztown. @vinapuhas mentioned him several times in trip reports

Thanks for your suggestion but it looks like we would never cross paths when it comes to boy selection :)

I am led to believe that the guys on the scene  prefer Asian customers because they pay better; particularly the Japanese.

I'm disappointed to read  the comments about falangs. One of the things that impressed me on my first visit in the late 90s was that, as far I could see, the punters (who in those days were overwhelmingly European and American) seemed to treat the guys well. And this was confirmed by  Thais when I got to know them better on later visits.

What a pity if things have changed. I wonder if the fact that many of us had lived our younger days in an atmosphere of repression back home made us more appreciative of our new Thai friends? Perhaps later visitors took them and the opportunities they offered for granted. 

1 hour ago, Min said:

A Pattaya MB once told me about this Indian guy, who came to off a boy from his go-go. Customer came in, quickly picked a boy from the rotation (so that he didn't have to pay for a drink and also the boy's drink), paid the bar fine and took the boy back to his hotel. Once the business was done, he refused to give the poor boy any money, saying that he already paid the bar fine and that was enough.

Some of the girly bars off walking street ban customers from India and certain other countries.
Just occasionally, you get Grindr profiles with similar preferences expressed.
I suspect decisions get made based on past experiences and probabilities derived from them.    So if you happen to be from a country where your fellow nationals haven't behaved as expected, your options may be reduced.

As for the farangs, as long as we take care over our own hygiene, trade the lads fairly and neither under or over tip, there are plenty of willing lads.    And almost all of them ask for repeat meetings.  

3 hours ago, z909 said:

Some of the girly bars off walking street ban customers from India and certain other countries.

Well, I just visited the walking street two days ago and the crowd was predominantly Indian (not so in Boyztown and Jomtien Complex though).

1 hour ago, AlexThompson said:

This is the CUTEST THING I have ever read on this forum!

I think he's thoughtful and has a lot of good will.

The boys know and share info on their client's generosity or lack thereof as well as other data.  When Screwboys was functioning and I was a regular my evening's off would know where I was staying, know my likes, etc.  Same same when I took different boys on different nights from @Home in Jomtien.  

Just booked a flight for September to BKK with a side slide to Pattaya.  Appreciate the great reports from @Minand @vinapuand the sidebar comments of @reader  I'm taking notes.

Edited by ggobkk
clarify thought

5 hours ago, ggobkk said:

The boys know and share info on their client's generosity or lack thereof as well as other data.  When Screwboys was functioning and I was a regular my evening's off would know where I was staying, know my likes, etc. 

And not just boys working in the same bar. There seems to be some kind of inter-bar grapevine. The last few days, whenever I walked down the main soi in Jomtien Complex, some boys (whom I never talked to before or even saw) from different bars and massage parlors (some of which I never set foot in) said "xin chao" (or "hi" in Vietnamese) or "how's Vietnam?" There was this boy, who greeted me with "ni hao" (or "hi" Chinese) then his bar co-worker corrected him, saying something in Thai but I could hear the word "Vietnam" clearly in it :) 

5 hours ago, ggobkk said:

Just booked a flight for September to BKK with a side slide to Pattaya.  

I don't know what type of boys you are into but I believe you will enjoy your trip :)

6 minutes ago, Min said:

And not just boys working in the same bar. There seems to be some kind of inter-bar grapevine. The last few days, whenever I walked down the main soi in Jomtien Complex, some boys (whom I never talked to before or even saw) from different bars and massage parlors (some of which I never set foot in) said "xin chao" (or "hi" in Vietnamese) or "how's Vietnam?" There was this boy, who greeted me with "ni hao" (or "hi" Chinese) then his bar co-worker corrected him, saying something in Thai but I could hear the word "Vietnam" clearly in it :)

They might stay together or near each other. In any case, you must have made a deep impression through your kindness and generosity that you are now well known in Pattaya!

1 hour ago, Min said:

I don't know what type of boys you are into but I believe you will enjoy your trip :)

We must accept that the boys when not entertaining us eat and drink and gossip together.  Once I traced how information spread and learned that a Vietnamese off from Screwboys knew of me from a Hot Male off as they shared the same living quarters.  I would think that your recognition level is high as you have a highly desired "good heart".

11 minutes ago, ggobkk said:

We must accept that the boys when not entertaining us eat and drink and gossip together. 

Hehe, it worked both ways. We gossip about them too :)

1 hour ago, jason1975 said:

you must have made a deep impression through your kindness and generosity that you are now well known in Pattaya!

I think it more likely has something to do with the fact that I’m the only Viet who frequents such places as a customer (like in Hotmale downstairs that day, I just mentioned Singapore, they already knew that was you :)

Speaking of generosity, I tend to stick to fair market price. Although I often give a bit more if the service is good, I don’t think I could reach that level of generosity set by you or Vinapu (this is not meant as criticism). I was shocked when I saw you gave the 1000 tip to that Circus waiter, who used to work in Lucky Boys. I know you guys went way back and that tip made his day, but still :) 

By the way, it seems to me it’s very easy for Thai MBs to send requests for money for no urgent reasons. In many cases, I suspect they just spammed the same request to their entire list of customers in hope one would stick.

Like this Thai boy from Kalasin. He seems nice and we had a good time whenever we got together. But then he kept sending me ridiculous requests for money, always for 5000, regardless of the reason (birthday, room rent, going home, etc.) So this morning I decided to put a stop to it, once and for all, by replying as below.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8155702fb4d8560aae4543678b0dd19.jpeg

Do you think it sounds too harsh? How would you guys respond then?

No, not harsh at all. And I’m sure he got the message.

Going back several years, a guy I had gone to for massage many times and treated well messaged me for absurd amount. I replied that I have so save my money for next trip. 

There’s only one guy I’d send money to and he never asks.

43 minutes ago, reader said:

That's familiar.  

I've got a small number of "regulars" who I might send money to, in cases of particular difficulty, but they never ask.    I suspect they are making enough with their chosen profession.

The ones who do ask are the far less deserving cases.   One who's a pro at extracting money from multiple farangs, to the extent where he can tell you the exchange rate for about half a dozen major western currencies.    Then others who I've decided not to meet again, typically due to not being very good at their job.   Finally, some I've never even met in the first place.
My response to the requests from the undeserving might be either "No", ignoring the request, or if it's someone I haven't met or don't intend to meet again, I may block them.  No point in wasting too much time on this. 

8 hours ago, Min said:

Do you think it sounds too harsh? How would you guys respond then?

Not harsh, but i usually kept my reply very brief unless the boy have really good english. 

Did he replied you yet? 

6 hours ago, reader said:

6 hours ago, z909 said:

I've got a small number of "regulars" who I might send money to, in cases of particular difficulty, but they never ask.    I suspect they are making enough with their chosen profession.

Agree. The ones who deserve extra help usually those who don't need extra help :)

1 hour ago, spoon said:

Not harsh, but i usually kept my reply very brief unless the boy have really good english. 

Did he replied you yet? 

It's just that I like this boy so I took time to answer him. I mostly just ignored similar requests from others. I wrote very short sentences with simplified grammar structures so that Google translation works more effectively. And I sent him a Thai version as well (right below the English one) to make sure he gets the point.

He just replied with "ok". Didn't even ask if he can come to my hotel (probably just want some free money without putting in any effort).

10 hours ago, a-447 said:

They told me the girls in the Soi Yeepun (where the bars catering to Japanese guys are) referred to the Japanese as 555 - pronounced hâa hâa hâa in Thai. Five inches, five minutes, five thousand baht.

That is hilarious! Good to know. My question is do the girls go off after that or do they stay the night for long time? I have seen Japanese with girls during breakfast at Raya.

21 hours ago, Min said:

Speaking of generosity, I tend to stick to fair market price. Although I often give a bit more if the service is good, I don’t think I could reach that level of generosity set by you or Vinapu (this is not meant as criticism). I was shocked when I saw you gave the 1000 tip to that Circus waiter, who used to work in Lucky Boys. I know you guys went way back and that tip made his day, but still :) 

Yes, we went back many many years. He has put on weight but still very handsome.

46 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

Earlier @kjun12 sugested that this thread might be reposted to the Cambodia forum. This was shot down and the post ws deleted. However, @Min has made so many excellent points about Phnom Penh and Vietnam, might the moderstor consider linking this topic in the Cambodia and Vietnam fora?

Alternatively, the thread could be re-named and "Cambodia" added to the title.

Just a thought.

This is one of those meandering type topics where there is no particular focus as such - just "adventures" and would be very difficult to untangle. So a link may indeed work here.

13 hours ago, a-447 said:

I was a regular at Super A and Natureboy, although Super A fell of of favour. My regular worked at Golden Cock and because the 3 bars were in the same Soi, they all knew everything that was going on with me. It turns out they were all friends! 

I read your post about holding some private parties behind closed door in Golden Cock years ago. It was so memorable it has remained stuck in my memory. It seems you haven't done something similar for a while?

13 hours ago, a-447 said:

They told me the girls in the Soi Yeepun (where the bars catering to Japanese guys are) referred to the Japanese as 555 - pronounced hâa hâa hâa in Thai. Five inches, five minutes, five thousand baht.

I remember a guy in the old Eros bar showing me a booklet made for bar girls,  teaching them the English they needed for their job. There was a whole page of expressions to use when begging for money to be sent each month! 

Intriguing tidbits :)

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Earlier @kjun12 sugested that this thread might be reposted to the Cambodia forum. This was shot down and the post ws deleted. However, @Min has made so many excellent points about Phnom Penh and Vietnam, might the moderstor consider linking this topic in the Cambodia and Vietnam fora?

1 hour ago, a-447 said:

Alternatively, the thread could be re-named and "Cambodia" added to the title.

This is one of those meandering type topics where there is no particular focus as such - just "adventures" and would be very difficult to untangle. So a link may indeed work here.

Indeed. Sometimes, I made references to all three of them (Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam) in the same post, so it's hard to place this topic in one particular sub-forum. Cross-linking + renaming probably work best but I guess this can only be done with help of a moderator.