Travellerdave

Back in Pattaya after 2 years and 4 months

6 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

Two boys joined me wearing rather sexy speedos to chat about the current state of the gay economy, which I helped by buying  two boy drinks and giving both a tip. 

Thank you for helping the economy!

Funny how you talk about traveling economy , I just saved  about 50,000 baht travelling from Australia to Bangkok in economy class.

Was tempted to book business but glad I didn't as I had 2 seats to myself in economy !

Food was basically the same .

14 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I was not intending to go out but after unpacking and establishing that I had omitted several items  like my iPhone/ iPad charger

I forgot to pack underwear for a European trip about 20 years ago.    After that dismal failure, I started an Excel check list.

14 hours ago, Travellerdave said:

I had to steel myself to hold to my plan of not offing, rather to have a good sleep and wind down after the journey (I’m really too old for this long distance travel and sex tourism). So ended my first day by writing this report.

Very restrained.   I always off on the first day, but it's always short time until I'm past the jet-lag phase.    (Only exceptions were when enforced by quarantine)

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

just saved  about 50,000 baht travelling from Australia to Bangkok

I find asking at the check in desk or even the gate for a paid upgrade is often fruitful to pick up bargain biz upgrades.

Of course there is no lounge access permitted on these tickets or extra baggage allowance etc. But a good nights sleep on the flight helps me hit the ground running on arrival in BKK and avoid any sleep catch ups

I was checking prices of flights from LHR to BKK in the next few weeks a couple of days ago and  found that the costs have doubled in a period of about two months.

Emirates and Thai were  offering Business Class flights  for about 130,000bht in April; now, you will pay around 250,000.  

Economy lights have also been affected.

Not only this; the number of tickets available for the next few weeks, certainly on direct flights, is limited. The EVA flights are full while Thai Air  has but a handful of seats  left.

Will this be what we can expect? or is it a temporary response to the surge in demand from those of us cruelly separated  for two plus years?  On the plus side, EVA's Business class in November costs less than 100,000 bht.......at the moment.

6 hours ago, z909 said:

I always off on the first day, but it's always short time until I'm past the jet-lag phase. 

# me too

day without off or at least massage is vacation day lost. Happened to me in my early days but then I saw mistake of wasting passing days. Of course my trip are somewhat short 1-2 weeks , one coming for month or two can afford being less stiff with time.

As for jet-lag , my worst day is usually third and with age I noticed is getting worse and worse

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

or is it a temporary response to the surge in demand from those of us cruelly separated  for two plus years? 

that and result of rising fuel prices.

We can't do much other than comb for relative bargains or just give up and see what market forces will bring us to.

My sister lives in country half way between me and Thailand and price to fly there   is almost the same so for me Thailand is still like bargain

My calculation is incremental flight cost per hour flying.

LHR-BKK return is about 24.5 hours direct.    

Pre-covid, I got Premium Economy seats with EVA for about £900, which I think was ~£350 more than economy.   So £14 per hour extra, or 600 baht per hour.   Reasonable.

If I take the 250,000 baht figure quoted above, that's about £5747.       

Let's assume we can get economy for £747, which looked feasible last time I checked.

So £5000 incremental, which works out at £204 per hour, or 8877 baht PER HOUR.        So straight to the back of the plane !    Even if the 777 economy seat is AWFUL.  

3 minutes ago, z909 said:

So £5000 incremental, which works out at £204 per hour, or 8877 baht PER HOUR.        So straight to the back of the plane !

right, 

I you reported you offed somebody short time and reported tipping him 8877 or even just 8800 rest assured you would be stoned by some within hour of arrival just for spoiling market for others

As I said elsewhere I believe these high prices are a combination of 

a) people wanting desperately to travel and

b) European holiday time. July and August.

As pointed out above add
c) increased fuel prices.

Airlines are cashing in!

However, if you book early business fares in September and October are still reasonable, albeit higher.

Economy is only very slightly more than before.

3 hours ago, vinapu said:

# me too

day without off or at least massage is vacation day lost. Happened to me in my early days but then I saw mistake of wasting passing days. Of course my trip are somewhat short 1-2 weeks , one coming for month or two can afford being less stiff with time.

As for jet-lag , my worst day is usually third and with age I noticed is getting worse and worse

I tend to nowadays go the opposite way taking it as it goes , I don't rush to have boys everyday now, if I feel like one I do, otherwise I'm not feeling guilty, I'm more here in Thailand to relax .

I used to have several guys a day even when I didn't feel like it , but now even on a 2 week trip , the hunt is more exciting than the finish so if I end up with taking 5 days in 14 days so be it .

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

I tend to nowadays go the opposite way taking it as it goes , I don't rush to have boys everyday now, if I feel like one I do, otherwise I'm not feeling guilty, I'm more here in Thailand to relax .

I used to have several guys a day even when I didn't feel like it , but now even on a 2 week trip , the hunt is more exciting than the finish so if I end up with taking 5 days in 14 days so be it .

we all have our own prescription as what stands for good vacation time