reader

China resumes flights to Thailand

Note — While exchanging currency at SuperRich at Central World Saturday, the three customers ahead of me were all Chinese. 

From the Thaiger

Thailand received another boost to its tourism industry yesterday when China gave its blessing to resume flights between the two Asian nations.

The gradual lifting of Covid-19 restrictions, the scrapping of the Thailand Pass, and the relaxation of mask-wearing have all been much welcomed as the kingdom fights back against two tough pandemic years. And the welcoming of Chinese tourists will provide another shot in the arm to the Thai economy.

The Civil Aviation Administration of China has granted permission for 2 flights each week for the first time since the pandemic kicked off over 2 years ago.

Initial flights will be restricted to business people and students, but Beijing says it will gradually reopen more international flights for tourists.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand announced their carriers would be sharing the burden of operating the flights, except those to Beijing and Shanghai.

Thai Airways International, Thai Smile Airways, Thai Lion Air, and Thai Air Asia have all submitted requests to fly to Guangzhou, while Thai VietJet will fly to Kunming and Nok Air to Nanning.

Interesting that you were seeing Chinese tourists already. They must have come via indirect flights, or might they have been Taiwanese?

I doubt if resumption of 2 flights a week would make much difference. And the bigger obstacle must be the re-entry requirements into China. Last month, a friend of mine had to return to Hong Kong which is his normal work location, and he described the hotel quarantine arrangements he had to make. I would not want to be in his place. Unfortunately, I can't remember whether he said one week or two weeks. 

In any case, a quick check with the US and another embassy website indicated that visitors entering China have to do 2 PCR tests - at 48 hours before departure and again at 24 hours before departure plus and an antigen test prior to boarding!

Assuming that Chinese citizens returning from a vacation in Thailand must do the same, this - and whatever quarantine they need to endure -  makes it difficult to foresee any significant resumption of travel for the Chinese.

12 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Interesting that you were seeing Chinese tourists already. They must have come via indirect flights, or might they have been Taiwanese?

I queried a post in another thread when a poster stated his Thai friend whom he has known for quite some time had had three customers all of whom he said were Chinese. My view then was that they must have been Taiwanese. I think not Singaporean or Malaysian Chinese where the accent is stronger and more noticeable. I was informed there are ways of getting out of China. My friends in Shanghai told me they could not possibly have recently come from China. The only possibility was that they were already here on a long term study course - which of course is perfectly possible. Then they would not be going home soon and would avoid all the hurdles.

Getting to Hong Kong for business even for permanent residents remains a major hurdle with quarantine still in place and a further period of observation. Any non-Chinese permanent resident must renew his status within three years of last visit. As mine was in August 2019 I have written to the Director of Immigration about not being able to return but got the usual standard letter with the regulations. It did end, though, with mention about special discretion! Since I still need to travel there quite frequently, I hope I will fall into the discretion category!

On 6/27/2022 at 6:04 AM, macaroni21 said:

Probably from Hong Kong as well.  There were a couple of YouTubers from Hong Kong already visited Thailand (when Thailand Pass was still in effect), Singapore and Malaysia.  I think China has been discouraging its citizens travel for leisure purposes only.

9 hours ago, Alsfca said:

I think China has been discouraging its citizens travel for leisure purposes only.

it looks China is discouraging its citizens to travel to nearest  market even with all those rolling lockdowns