reader

Young Australian man falls to his death from Phuket hotel

NOTE — Judging from the photo, the top of balcony appears well below the waist of the young man. This is not unusual in older buildings. Current codes require railing to be above center of gravity of most people, making it far less likely that some could topple forward.

From Perth Now

image.thumb.jpeg.025657b566a9809b58cda7a1bcdc0d0f.jpeg

A young Australian tourist has plunged to his death in horrific circumstances at a hotel resort in Thailand.

According to the Bangkok Post Joshua James Connell, 19, from Canberra, was walking along a wall near a hotel swimming pool in Phuket before falling six storeys to his death.

There is CCTV which captured the incident, according to local reports.

A local policeman told the Post the teenager was wearing only a pair of shorts when he slipped and fell, before landing on the kitchen roof of a nearby restaurant.

He said Mr Connell and a friend had only checked in at the hotel the day prior.

Staff at the restaurant were reportedly getting ready for evening dinner service when they were startled by a loud noise on the roof above the kitchen.

The local policeman said some of the roof tiles were broken by the impact of the fall.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:06 AM, reader said:

NOTE — Judging from the photo, the top of balcony appears well below the waist of the young man. This is not unusual in older buildings. Current codes require railing to be above center of gravity of most people, making it far less likely that some could topple forward.

Balconies railings in Thailand usually seem far too low.   Even on new buildings like the Quarter Silom, I still think they should be about 15cm taller.

2 hours ago, z909 said:

Balconies railings in Thailand usually seem far too low.   Even on new buildings like the Quarter Silom, I still think they should be about 15cm taller.

most likely because Thais a bit shorter generally than us farangs so their building code allows for lower railings.

On another hand I was once visiting condo on top floor in one of those Jomtien  high-rises and  concrete railing seemed to me  unnecessary high  

Thoughts and Prayers.....  Darwin will take his toll...