numazu

Bangkok Trip Report 2022: The wait is over. What was I waiting for?

On 7/11/2022 at 8:36 AM, numazu said:

Things that felt familiar: the 400 baht entrance fee with welcome drink, no changes in seating and stage. AC was on full blast. We get guided by a mamasan to our seats, which was toward the back and at the center, which I thought was pretty good seating. Tiago sat down, and looked around, took it in, smiling the whole time. He looked across the room, and found 3 boys, some in underwear, some shirtless, some in tank tops, some in pants. The boys rotated, but it was always 3 at a time on stage. 

Mr York

IMG_3971.thumb.jpg.615ad60a1159ebafec8caac5e47f64af.jpg

Mr Tum

IMG_3972.thumb.jpg.2b9462c55378664c373d89d63fcc0b64.jpg

I did like Mr Korn A LOT. He has this cocky humbleness to him, and once in a while he would smirk and I see possibilities.  Maybe a future off:

IMG_3943.thumb.JPG.066b0ef1706aed1470ee5cfa2b4905a1.JPG

The show finishes. Some live entertainment was next, and as advertised, it was pretty fun, and the vocalist, May, was pretty good  I think this was a good addition to the bar. 

Somehow I never visited Moonlight on my many previous Bkk trips... 

Reading your report (and some more posts of other contributers in the past) makes me think I should go there on my next trip in September. 

As I also prefer boys that are a bit on the muscle side (not too thin), so the boys in Moonlight would be a perfect match. 

I think what stopped me from going to Moonlight before, is that I thought almost no (muscled) bottoms to off there... As I am top only. You confined me to try it anyway... Try my luck.

Hoping to be able to off a nice muscled guy who bottoms and also kisses... Like your MonBoy. 

On 7/10/2022 at 4:00 PM, TotallyOz said:

First bar: Screwboys (they opened back up for @numazu)

LOL that's funny. i wish I have that power. Then I'd have them reopen Soi Twilight next.

On 7/10/2022 at 2:04 PM, vinapu said:

First bar was Moonlight ?

WINNER! 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:11 PM, ggobkk said:

My hunch is next stop is Hot Male...

Also winner! Two posters who have met me in real life. You guys really know me well.

19 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

Wow Numazu,

In my opinion, you are Rush reincarnated with your writing capabilities.  Rush archives

I really like the way that you write and the fact that you included a map, which is a 5***** star act for me!!

Thank you for the very kind words @bkkmfj2648! I haven't read any of Rush's work but maybe i should. And yes the map, when I found it on that website, just had to be posted. 

19 hours ago, kjun12 said:

You're a great story tellers

Thank you.

Appreciate the complement @kjun12. Bangkok is a great subject matter to write about for sure.

17 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

Somehow I never visited Moonlight on my many previous Bkk trips... 

Reading your report (and some more posts of other contributers in the past) makes me think I should go there on my next trip in September. 

As I also prefer boys that are a bit on the muscle side (not too thin), so the boys in Moonlight would be a perfect match. 

I am not sure if there are bottom out of the "stars" in the Moonlight roster, but I know some of the rest of the boys available there do bottom (have tried at least 3, including MonBoy).

19 hours ago, bkkmfj2648 said:

The first time I walked into Soi Twilight many years ago was one of the MOST gay captivating events in my entire gay life (even more so than Amsterdam, San Francisco, Paris, and New York).  The intensity of it all was at first overwhelming but over time it became easier and easier to digest and enjoy - it was like heaven.  

It was the same for me. Stepping into that Soi for the first time was pure sensory overload. the fact that it was a narrower street with the bars so close together and everyone was bumping into each other, that was a gift. I hope something like that can be reconstituted down the road. Silom Soi 4 has the makings of it, it just needs more bars to make it a worthy successor.

@numazuyou may have read all or parts of this masterwork at some point. Reference to "Rush"...refers to the author of Bangkok Bois (also titled "Dancing with the Devil in the City of Angels. 

For newbies it is incredibly helpful and also provides a visit to Twilight in its heyday.  Well, it was for me, at least.

I'm back home now went to the Happy Beer Garden five times (with three different guys) during my stay. Really like the place and the staff remembers what I ordered on previous visits, and that I like small noodles and not big. 🙂 I prefer to sit facing inward so I'm not constantly reminded of the demise of Twilight across the road.

On one visit. I guy seated with a farang at nearby table waved at me but I couldn't place him. On the way out, he stopped by my table and (up close) recalled that he had worked at massage shop that I had used numerous times 4-5 years ago. Time has been very good to him. I'm always impressed how these young men never seem to forget a face, and I was kind of touched that he went out of his way to talk with me even though it was brief.

Many thanks for your very entertaining reports. Just like the old days!

• Members
9 hours ago, Lucky said:

My first trip to Thailand was in 1987. The baht was 22 to the dollar. A short time adventure was 400 baht.

Even in 1998 the cost of a short time did not exceed $30. At least as I remember it.

And now it's >1500 baht. I.e. >500 massage + 1000 minimum tips 

• Members

fwiw- I was helping a friend book award tickets through Bangkok today and discover a cheap weird way there. Virgin awards on KLM from NYC through Amsterdam to Bangkok or Manila are only 33K miles. Chase and AmEx have 30% transfer bonuses a lot to Virgin so that's 22K Chase points. With a day stop in Amsterdam. (of course it's economy class so....). But still, awfully cheap way to get to Bangkok from Sept through June. 

Screenshot (41).png

10 hours ago, scott456 said:

And now it's >1500 baht. I.e. >500 massage + 1000 minimum tips 

Unless prices have gone up in the last 5 months,  it's mostly 300 baht for an oil massage in Pattaya.     

The 1000 minimum tips are only applicable in places where significant extra service is expected. 

Elsewhere, the tip ought to depend on the level of extra service provided.  In Pattaya, if you're tipping 1000, then you should have received more than just an average massage and quick HJ.   

On 7/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, numazu said:

I see that there were 5 guys onstage with their dicks hanging out on full display. I’d say that they were all nice looking, so it was pleasant sight to see. Tiago of course, asked about this display of dicks, so I give him a rundown of what I usually see in a boy bar. 

Wow! I didn't know Hotmale bar does that!

9 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I would like to hear more on Tiago's comparison between Thailand and Brazil.  What does he (or you) think Brazil is better than Thailand.

I know you didn't ask me, but I'm willing to bet he has a similar response 😉

I love both places....but Brazil, sex is more passionate and it doesn't feel as transactional. No matter how bad they have it, living conditions, family problems, etc.... you'll normally not hear about it, pity trip conversations.....and no "up to you"

Sex is def less expensive in Brazil and most of guys are super fun to be around......

Food , massage and hotels are generally better and cheaper in Thailand, and is safer........Brazil didn't shut down during Covid.

I was pretty good friends with Hugh Miller, he was the manager of the Ambiance hotel when JIm and Gordon owned it. The stories about the stories he told about the tricks the boys do to get customers to buy them things and "gift" them more money....actually, was kind of sad to hear. Knowing how foolish men can be....it's 10 times worse in the straight world 😲

3 hours ago, numazu said:

Safety - Advantage: Thailand. No way out of this. But I must say that if you know what you're doing, its fairly easy to keep safe in Brazil as well, as I have after a million trips to there. But yes, advantage: Thailand

Rather than "knowing what I'm doing", I start from "doing what I want" and then consider if the country is suitable.    

I like to be able to walk anywhere I like, at any time of day or night.     Thailand is pretty safe for that.   From what I hear, Brazil is not.    If I have to go everywhere by taxi, I really wouldn't like a holiday there.   But I'm happy to hear any counter argument that doesn't involve a holiday deprived of exercise.