numazu

Bangkok Trip Report 2022: The wait is over. What was I waiting for?

• Members
5 minutes ago, numazu said:

Yikes, those are indeed high fuel surcharges. Virgin is known for having these high fuel surcharges. Another reason to not fly them.

Well it goes half way around the world and has 4 different countries' taxes. On trips with just 1 or 2 legs they're not always bad. I fly using their points regularly from DC to London September thru June for 10K points and $150 and to Prague then for 17K points and $60 (thru Amsterdam on KLM metal). 

2 hours ago, numazu said:
11 hours ago, scott456 said:

Nice colorful pictures and reports.  Did you have to pay for all Tiago's food, temple tour, and boy bar tour? (In addition to business class airfare/miles ticket, and accommodations while staying with you, and a previous trip to Mexico) That's very generous of you.

Ummm, yes? I thought that was implied. And as for being generous - I thought that was the point of this website.

And he asked If I read your posts....😝

4 hours ago, numazu said:

The boys on offer: there were about 6 boys on stage when we first got there. All were in jeans and tennis shoes. I took notes in my phone to remember the details of this bar, and I see in all caps: WHY THE PANTS?????? Some were cute but no one really interested me. No obvious stars.

The stage numbers: kind of amateurish. The dancers were average at best, both in looks and in choreography. How new was this bar? Maybe they need more practice? There were some drag numbers which were fine.

Thank you for the report.

I don't care how much they invest in premises.   They need to put something on the stage that makes it worth paying the premium drink prices.   If the boys are in jeans, they need to be outstanding at the dance acts & I would still only want to see it once.

Plain boys in jeans and a weak dance act.   Drinks presumably 350 baht ?    Why do they expect us to visit ?

4 hours ago, numazu said:

So yeah, if you're in Bangkok, or planning to go in the near future, please go! It'll give them the necessary support to grow, and it'll give you a chance to report back on this board your opinion on the bar and tell us if they are changing for the better.

I will get as far as the door way on my next visit & decide if it's worth entering. 

However, it's fairly pointless supporting badly run businesses that don't offer anything of interest.    I can't think of any reason for readers to operate as a charity for bars that aren't even trying.     If we do support them, we will get more crap businesses.   I would suggest it's better to go and support the bars that are working hard to offer something worth seeing and therefore deserve our custom.

So I won't be a customer unless they have improved their offering considerably.   My suspicion is that they are thinking of the Chinese market, but whilst Mr Xi imposes draconian travel restrictions, that's a flawed plan.

Something similar to the photos below would be sufficient to win my custom.

go-go-boys.jpg

Toolbox1.jpg

Funny Boys staff 4.JPG

I visited New Twilight too though I haven't yet had time to write. Numazu's impressions are similar to mine, but I'm more with z909 in terms of opinion. I also spoke with the manager and gained some insight into what business plan they had. They will need very deep pockets to last to the high season given their running costs and their currently poor footfall.

As the other bars have moved on from jeans, could this be a tea money issue that this bar hasn't? I went on a weekday. About 7 guys, none that I fancied. Maybe 3 customers, including me. I gave all the guys on the stage 100 bt as I always feel for the men working when there is no sign of a coin. Some twinks would get me back there.

2 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

Just for the record and as a matter of public interest, which bar was that, please? and which year?  😀

These are internet photos, not my own, since I'm not in the habit of sneakily taking gogo bar photos.     As good gogo bars are dying out, it's unfortunate that there are not more photos.

The middle photo with the lads in a diverse range of clothing is definitely Toolbox, Phnom Penh & likely to be taken within the last 4 years (bar now closed).

I think the last one may be Funny Boys Pattaya, as the number of lads, quality and dress code looks about right ?

This one is Eros.

EROS.JPG

5 hours ago, zoomomancs said:

could this be a tea money issue that this bar hasn't?

This thought occurred to me too, but it's only one of several possibilities.  For now, I think a more likely explanation is that they're trying to emulate the "higher class" bars like Jupiter and Moonlight. Even Dream Boys has their boys in jeans, and New Twilight thinks that this is the way to go.

My observation so far is that the bars with the skimpiest dress like Tawan, Freshboys and Hotmale are the ones getting the most offs. Would like to hear others' observations too. 

14 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

I always enjoy the b-boys. I could never figure out if they were off-able though. Those boys at New Twilight look cute.

I think maybe some are, but not all. When I was at Boyz Boyz Boyz in Pattaya, I distinctly remember seeing a sign that said "Not all boys are available for prostitution" or something similar.

3 hours ago, sydneyboy1 said:

Could I clarify one point. What are the boys wearing? Jock straps, jeans, shitless or what?

In New Twilight, shirts, jeans, shoes. Others reported that they are less dressed (exactly what?) after a certain late hour, but I didn't stay past 11:10pm at most. Can't report on what they wear later in the evening, even if that's the case.

3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

In New Twilight, shirts, jeans, shoes. Others reported that they are less dressed (exactly what?) after a certain late hour.

Also, even if they did strip down later on in the evening, what's the point of that ?  

They need to capture the customer's interest at the point where he looks through the door.   Most people with any experience will not want to sit around being deafened, waiting for promises to materialise.

18 hours ago, z909 said:

The middle photo with the lads in a diverse range of clothing is definitely Toolbox, Phnom Penh & likely to be taken within the last 4 years (bar now closed).

Any credence to the rumour that the former Toolbox owner may open a new place in the Jomtien Complex ?

2 hours ago, numazu said:

That then got me to thinking, why hasn’t Lucky Boys reopened? I googled and get this listing. Permanently closed?

Even when a business appears to be doing well, they can still close. First of all, their bottom line may not have been as good as one thinks. Even when custiomer traffic looks good, the cost base could be ruinous. Another possibility is that, as others in the know have reported here, Lucky Boys being a joint venture between Fresh Boys and one other bar (can someone remind me which one?), the partners might have fallen out. This is quite common when circumstances take a sudden turn for the worse, e.g. the onset of Covid and the partners cannot agree how to proceed or how to share the losses. Or simply, as in the case of Tawan's old location, the landlord just wouldn't renew the lease - for reasons unrelated to the health of the bar business.

12 hours ago, numazu said:

so the only way he would have remembered is that he just had a good memory.

Can edit names in Line....any thoughts how he has your name saved?  I've asked to see before, Thais are known to be very direct and is funny to see what they save us as 😵😝

On 7/17/2022 at 5:25 PM, numazu said:

Muscled bottoms who kiss are indeed a harder thing to find in Thailand for some reason. Not in other places of the world. MonBoy is by no means a muscled-bound, but meatier than the average boy in Thailand. I'd recommend DreamBoy and Hot Boys. I've offed two who may fit your three criteria (muscle, kisses, bottom), and have had tremendous luck in those bars in the past.

Were you just in luck? Or did you ask a mamasan for advice and just told them what you were looking for (kissing, bottom)? 

I have some (luckily not all...) bad expierence with waiters / mamasan advising me which boy will fit my "needs", only resulting in a disappointment back in the hotel room... 

Do boys in the bars keep same numbers all the time? If so, would be great if anybody can give nrs of kissing bottom boys they had great experience with... Lol

5 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

Were you just in luck? Or did you ask a mamasan for advice and just told them what you were looking for (kissing, bottom)? 

I have some (luckily not all...) bad expierence with waiters / mamasan advising me which boy will fit my "needs", only resulting in a disappointment back in the hotel room... 

Do boys in the bars keep same numbers all the time? If so, would be great if anybody can give nrs of kissing bottom boys they had great experience with... Lol

With looking for bottoms, I just used to just go it alone and make my determination with the boy itself. That often lead to me picking a boy that I think would be a bottom, but after him sitting with me and some talking, he will often that not will say he is a top.  I've since learned to depend on the mamasan, I usually have one trusted one in almost every bar, and usually the mamasan will list the boys that are bottoms by their numbers onstage. I invite the one that I think would be the most attractive, and then I make sure he is a bottom by asking him directly.

10 hours ago, floridarob said:

Can edit names in Line....any thoughts how he has your name saved?  I've asked to see before, Thais are known to be very direct and is funny to see what they save us as 😵😝

I'm sure he has me as Generic Asian Face.

On 7/18/2022 at 10:52 PM, macaroni21 said:

In New Twilight, shirts, jeans, shoes. Others reported that they are less dressed (exactly what?) after a certain late hour, but I didn't stay past 11:10pm at most. Can't report on what they wear later in the evening, even if that's the case.

The were shirtless, but with pants, when I was there.

On 7/18/2022 at 1:11 PM, Lucky said:

The Bangkok Tourism authority should be deeply grateful to @numazufor his efforts here which encourage people like me to return to Thailand.

LOL. They can return the favor and open Lucky Boys back up!