emiel1981

What else than boys...

My last trip to Thailand was in February 2020, just before covid hit the world. Finally going there again, in September. 

Before covid I was a regular visitor of the kingdom. So I've seen the standard tourist places. I'm having planned almost a full month in Thailand in September. So was looking also for something else to enjoy there than just the boys... 

Any advise on not-so-knows-but-worth-visiting places to visit in/from Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket are more than welcome! Or you guys always stick to the famous boy-areas in Bangkok and Pattaya...? Hahaha

Was looking into visiting Phimai (via Nakhon Ratchasima maybe) and Phanom Rung... But no idea how and from where to get there easily. Anybody been there? Maybe I should find a driver from Bangkok for a few days or something? Or take trains and go for a real adventure?

I've been to Phimai.    I took the train to Nakhon Ratchasima and then the slow local bus from the bus station to Phimai.

Phanom Rung is also worth visiting.

P5020062.JPG

P5020069.JPG

P5020113.JPG

You could take the "sprinter" train all the way to Ubon Ratchathani and make that your base for exploring eastern Isaan.

Soutbound, take a train to Phetchaburi for a few days. There are temples and caves (surprise!) and a hilltop palace/observatory.

The Mae Hong Son loop from Chiang Mai is worth doing, too. Public transport is probably not adequate so you will need wheels of some description (I did it in a hire car.)

I'm a bit of a bore about the north but the journey from Chiang Rai to Mae Salang, a Chinese town inhabited by the descendants of the defeated  Nationalist army is, for me, the most fascinating in Thailand. Better than Doi Inthanon. Some of the roads aren't for the faint-hearted- narrow and mountainous-but what views!

On 7/11/2022 at 10:51 AM, bkkmfj2648 said:

Hello Emiel1981,

Back in 2015 I took a hired gay guide couple who gave me a road trip through Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Sukhothai, and then the fabulous Kanchanaburi region.

Here is a link to my 2015 trip report - in case it could be helpful to you.

Cheers and enjoy,

M.

2015 trip report

That would be just perfect. Finding a guide or guides with car to take me around Nakhon Ratchasima, Phimai and Phanom Rung areas. And if he/they can also give massages like the guides you had... Wow. 

Anybody knows any guides that would be able to go on trip like this with me? ;)

I suspect that the guides who are not listed as drivers would know drivers if necessary if they are official guides.

I did a trip several years ago to Sukhothai and Phitsanulok at Loy Krathong time where my guide friend arranged a driver and car for our trip. It was a really nice experience. They have a great parade and pageant at the Sukhothai ruins for Loy Krathong. He also arranged a trip to Khao Yai NP for me another time. I think my friend has retired from guiding now to teach English in Saraburi or I would recommend him.

I find organising things myself is part of the experience.    Something usually works out OK. 

In the case of Sukothai, I flew to Phitsanulok with some kind of Nok Air service which also included a transfer to Sukothai.    I stayed in New Sukothai.   The next day, I took a Songthaew to Old Sukothai and rented a bicycle to look around the place. 

I returned to New Sukothai by songthaew, then took a bus to Phitsanulok the next day and headed south on the train, stopping at Ayutthaya.

On my next trip I am planning to visit the far north Chiang Mai,Pai and Mae Hong Son never had been there due my laziness.I am planning more touristic things then boys. lol .

By the way I had been in Sukothai five years ago, the old city is amazing much more impressive then ruins in Ayutthaya and the Thai's there are the most lovely people I ever met in Thailand.

On 7/11/2022 at 2:52 AM, thaiophilus said:

You could take the "sprinter" train all the way to Ubon Ratchathani and make that your base for exploring eastern Isaan.

If you're tired of cultural sites, there is apparently a bar in Ubon - but I have no idea of the bar's name or address.