12is12

Sawatdee?

Please excuse my ignorance, and I'm not trying to pique anyone.

In one of the threads, someone mentioned a website called Sawadtee, and observed that it focuses on Pattaya. I took a look.

Could anyone please enlighten me regarding this and that website? 

Do they offer the same in different clothing, or can I find something in one which I can't find in the other? 

In some cases, the forums cover the same material, in other cases, there are subtle differences.

Although this board might have a lot of fans of Moonlight (& similar bars), if you keep looking, there are also plenty people posting here who have totally different tastes.

Certain other forums have historically had more trolls.    If you don't want to waste time, don't get sucked in by that.

Also, the editorial line on the other board is rather strongly supportive of Putin, irrespective of what he does.   So as you might expect, some people have stopped contributing after that.

If you want information without wasting time, I suggest using the search facility, rather than browsing (although I'm not the one to advise on time wasting).   And if the search  doesn't work just post questions, on whichever board you like, but preferably here🙂

There is also Gaybuttonthai.

Sorry-and not that its really much important, but I think the real oldest-granddad is S-g-t. THIS forum had another name untill a few years ago, when it was all merged with the guides and also the South-Americ section.

There used to be quite a few forums dedicated to life in gay Thailand-the others have dropped down the line. One was -a long time ago- much more interesting and saucy-and it covers the whole world-but the Asean section is dead.

18 hours ago, pong2 said:

Sorry-and not that its really much important, but I think the real oldest-granddad is S-g-t. THIS forum had another name untill a few years ago, when it was all merged with the guides and also the South-Americ section.

There used to be quite a few forums dedicated to life in gay Thailand-the others have dropped down the line. One was -a long time ago- much more interesting and saucy-and it covers the whole world-but the Asean section is dead.

Were you referring to cruising 4 s** Com forun website? That was my go to guide when traveling 

I also agree there seems quite a difference between the two sites. Sawatdee is definitely more Pattaya-centric.

On 7/11/2022 at 8:38 PM, z909 said:

the editorial line on the other board is rather strongly supportive of Putin, irrespective of what he does.   So as you might expect, some people have stopped contributing after that.

With respect I think that is just not true. So what if the owner of that board lives in Moscow? He took over the Board when it seemed it would bound to close. The owner, Moses, has been particularly helpful to both this Board and gaybuttonthai when each has had technical issues. Although i don't often read either much, I do look at them occasionally and I doubt it gaybuttonthai would exist without Moses' considerable help.

As for sawatdee having a Putin bias, I doubt if any of the members of that site would agree. And I wonder where you got the idea that some posters stopped contributing for that particular reason? Again, I find that extremely difficult to believe - where is the proof? From what i see, Moses makes almost no contributions, so how can the Board have a Putin bias?

• Members
15 minutes ago, PeterRS said:

I also agree there seems quite a difference between the two sites. Sawatdee is definitely more Pattaya-centric.

With respect I think that is just not true. So what if the owner of that board lives in Moscow? He took over the Board when it seemed it would bound to close. The owner, Moses, has been particularly helpful to both this Board and gaybuttonthai when each has had technical issues. Although i don't often read either much, I do look at them occasionally and I doubt it gaybuttonthai would exist without Moses' considerable help.

As for sawatdee having a Putin bias, I doubt if any of the members of that site would agree. And I wonder where you got the idea that some posters stopped contributing for that particular reason? Again, I find that extremely difficult to believe - where is the proof? From what i see, Moses makes almost no contributions, so how can the Board have a Putin bias?

Peter, I must disagree with you.  Read some of the past post on Sawatdee and I think you will find Moses posting some Putinesque supportive material.

I havent delved into that website yet, but I really dont undrstnd this whole Putin discussion.

Readers are interested in sex, administrative-logistical matters, tourism, and maybe - what's going on in Thailand.

Who cares what anyone thinks about Putin?!

3 hours ago, kjun12 said:

Peter, I must disagree with you.  Read some of the past post on Sawatdee and I think you will find Moses posting some Putinesque supportive material.

38 minutes ago, thaiophilus said:

The propaganda is mostly confined to one (200 pages and rising) thread entitled "The Brink of War?" in the Everything Else forum.

I agree totally with @thaiophilus. That is a particularly long thread and basically compares parts of Ukraine with Taiwan. I don't see any proselytsing for Putin, merely what it is like to live in Russia and the various benefits citizens get from the state compared to Taiwan.

Interestingly, though, Moses' main discussion seems to be with Dragonman, a poster who in one thread gets his history entirely wrong. He writes -

"Taiwan (officially the Republic of China according to my passport) is not under the same pressure from the Mainland as Donetsk is under pressure from Ukraine. Like Donetsk, however, parts of the ROC were under bombing from the Mainland for years - look up the attacks on Quemoy and Matsu known as the First and Second Taiwan Strait Crises (the second was in 1958). Despite the claims of the PRC, it has never ruled Taiwan and the so-called "One China Consensus" is a lie. Until 1971 the Republic of China was a member of the UN and held a Security Council seat."

He is certainly correct that after Mao took over China Taiwan was frequently attacked by the People's Republic. But his suggestion that China has never ruled Taiwan is nonsense. Naturally he will argue that he does not mention China - only the PRC and the Republic of China. But if he bothered to look into history, it is clear that at the 1943 Cairo Declaration with Roosevelt and Churchill in attendance and ratified under the 1945 Potsdam Agreement, it was agreed that all Japanese colonies would be returned to their original rulers. Imperial China had ruled Taiwan for almost 250 years prior to the Japanese invasion. It was therefore to a China ruled after the war by the murdering, thieving Chiang Kai-shek who had managed to take over the Kuomintang on the mainland after the death of Sun Yat-sen that Taiwan was returned.

After Mao had won the civil war in China, Chiang and 2 million of his followers fled to Taiwan and took the "name" Republic of China with them. But Chiang never intended to remain in Taiwan. His followers committed many atrocities against the native Taiwanese. Probably he did not care because his attention, with the help of his fluent English-speaking Christian wife, Sung Mei-ling, who was particularly popular in Washington, was to reconquer mainland China. When Mao had won th civil war, those in the corridors of power in Washington were horrified. For years the question continued to be posed - "Who lost China?"

Even so, Washington continued to recognise Chiang as the legitimate ruler of China, almost exclusively because they wanted a buffer in the South China Sea against a hated communist China - hence his party getting the seat at the UN. Washington also tried to overturn the Cairo and Potsdam agreements at a special Conference held in San Francisco around 1952. Neither Mao nor Chiang were invited. Some countries, notably Britain, were totally against what the US was planning to try to achieve. Britain had no intention of recognising a Taiwan under any sovereignty other than the rulers in Beijing.

Chiang retained his vain hopes of returning to take over Beijing until Nixon decided that the US and China would mend fences and become friends in 1971. Chiang died in 1975. 

The one complicating factor in international law is that at the 1952 Conference when the Japanese officially handed over their colonial territories, they agreed to hand the Taiwan back to China but someone ensured that the document includes the term in use when they colonised it - the Republic of China rather than just China. Yet, when countries change their names, do the sovereign powers automatically change? Of course not! Much as I loathe to repeat it, Taiwan is irrevocably, officially and almost certainly in international law, a part of mainland China.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

I agree totally with @thaiophilus. That is a particularly long thread and basically compares parts of Ukraine with Taiwan. I don't see any proselytsing for Putin, merely what it is like to live in Russia and the various benefits citizens get from the state compared to Taiwan.

Sometimes people see what they want to see.  

Start reading the thread from February 2022 and you might realise why some people have ceased posting there as a matter of principle.

The "Brink of War" thread seemed to dominate the site for quite a few months but has gradually faded along with some of the contributors.

The board's content previously contained much news and views of Pattaya and somewhat less of Bangkok.

2 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I don't entirely agree 🙃. It has probably mutated (I tuned out after a hundred or so pages) but the earlier part of the thread did indeed contain a good deal of pro-Putin DARVO, though it is diluted by all the usual suspects trying to score points off one another.

16 hours ago, thaiophilus said:

I don't entirely agree 🙃. It has probably mutated (I tuned out after a hundred or so pages) but the earlier part of the thread did indeed contain a good deal of pro-Putin DARVO, though it is diluted by all the usual suspects trying to score points off one another.

I  must admit I read only recent pages of the thread and then got caught up in the Taiwan/Ukraine discussion. I have no desire to read the rest of such a long thread and accept other readers comments. All I will add is that a previous owner also incurred the wrath of quite a few members. If you own a chat room Board, I guess you have the right to put forward your own views whenever you want. I only know that Moses lives in Moscow. It's his Board. He bought it. In my view he has the right to promote whatever views he holds just as others have every right to abandon it if they are unhappy with those views. Surely they can turn to the other two Boards or even start up their own if they wish.

On 7/16/2022 at 12:20 PM, colmx said:

I am one of the longest surviving members of Sawatdee that has refrained from posting recently due to the vicious bile posted by the owner. 

I am in the same situation. I was never a particularly prolific poster there (where I post under the name RonanTheBarbarian), but I have deliberately kept my posting there to a minimum since the invasion (other than some postings in the aforementioned extremely lengthy war thread).

I just didnt feel comfortable posting there any more. Others are free to take their own view, of course.

16 hours ago, Londoner said:

I still contribute to Sawatdee. I suppose that the fact that my country has invaded and bombed- or helped to bomb- a number of countries over the past few years makes me wary of casting the first stone at citizens of other countries.

I'm pretty sure that citizenship has absolutely nothing to do with people not participating on a board. 

Rather, it's a matter of what the individuals say about the geopolitical issues.    If an individual strongly and repeatedly supports an unprovoked invasion, that is very different to opposing it, or just saying nothing.