babybear2

efficient way to learn Portuguese?

I've been learning Spanish on Duolingo, it's actually much better than taking lessons in a class. Actually talking to somebody in Spanish would still be extremely difficult since I'll have trouble processing what they're saying. But it will be helpful for sure. Somebody on here will know what's best for Brazil. Knowing how to pronounce the word for bus station for instance would be a big help as I found on my visits to Brazil.

• Members
9 hours ago, babybear2 said:

Preparing for my next trip to Brazil in Nov. 

If I know some Portuguese, my trip will be more enjoyable.

Are they any efficient way (Youtube channel, Apps etc) to learn basic Portuguese in a few months?

I plan to actually spend a couple months in Brazil and attend language classes (anybody has recommendations on language schools?).  I believe the better way to learn a language is do it in "live" action, not just on-line.

2 hours ago, scott456 said:

He "had" a Brazilian bf for years back in the U.S., (and he learned Español in school growing up.)

That's news to me, went I met him in BKK a few years ago, he knew nothing of portuguese nor of Brasil......and of numerous trips in Brasil, I saw his progress.

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

I plan to actually spend a couple months in Brazil and attend language classes (anybody has recommendations on language schools?).  I believe the better way to learn a language is do it in "live" action, not just on-line.

Keep in mind, Brasilian portuguese is different than motherland portuguese....and Carioca Portuguese is different than Brasillian portuguese, lol 

• Members

Why does any hot stud need to speak to me while sitting on my face? My attention is elsewhere and he grasps the task at hand wordlessly. And how can I manage intelligible pronunciation with a smothered mumble owing to a delicious ass pressed against my piehole? When the time is up he’ll just get off. Nonverbal cues are the backbone of communication. Think hunters and gatherers. I’m getting a meal, not braiding hair. 

• Members
7 hours ago, floridarob said:

Keep in mind, Brasilian portuguese is different than motherland portuguese....and Carioca Portuguese is different than Brasillian portuguese, lol 

Exactly,  Brazilian Portuguese is only good for Beazil.   That's why I am still deciding if I should just go to a language in Colombia and learn Spanish.  Spanish covers a whole lot bigger geographic area than Brazilian Portuguese. 

• Members
12 hours ago, floridarob said:

That's news to me, went I met him in BKK a few years ago, he knew nothing of portuguese nor of Brasil......and of numerous trips in Brasil, I saw his progress.

You need to pay attention when you read posts:

Screenshot_20220712-174339_Chrome.jpg

14 hours ago, scott456 said:

He "had" a Brazilian bf for years back in the U.S., (and he learned Español in school growing up.)

I was gonna, say, when did this happen @scott456 lol. Then you gave some context, so I dug up that snippet you posted, shown here:

On 2/12/2018 at 9:01 PM, numazu said:

Also, I have been casually dating a Portuguese/Brazilian guy for the past 7 months, and when he told me that he was visiting his Brazilian mother over Christmas and New Year,

Yes, that is true, but I did not date him in the U.S. Gosh, I wish he did, that would've saved a lot money going back and forth to... Portugal. He was my first Brazilian bf, and he lived in Lisbon at that time. I met him in Lisbon, and "dated" him long-distance.

So to bring it back to the topic of this thread:

19 hours ago, floridarob said:

@namazu could probably answer.....he learned pretty quick.

@floridarobyou know me very well, and for a few years now, so yes you would have seen the evolution from absolutely no Brazil whatsoever in brain to what I am now.

My advice, if you're just starting out:

1. Apps: I've never really learned as much from apps like Duolingo or Rosetta Stone, but if you're just starting out, I guess the repetition of these apps would benefit you, just to increase your vocabulary. Its funny that I've tried to learn other languages using Rosetta Stone and Duolingo but never really got fluent, but I've never tried learning PT on the apps and got fluent because...

2. Private lessons worked well for me. I'd recommend https://streetsmartbrazil.com or private tutors from https://preply.com. It'll be on your own pace, and you can tailor the lessons to what you want to know (tourist phrases, basic greetings, verb conjugation etc). It was worth every penny for me. When I started, I did about 2 months of classes and then that's all it took to get over the hump and after that I learned and practiced further fine on my own.

3. Increasing vocabulary is key: Like @scott456 said, I've learned Spanish in school, and the vocabulary of Spanish words I remembered from that was fairly useful for portuguese. I'd learn a word a day, and verbs are key as always, from either apps in the phone if you search "portuguese word a day" or sites like https://www.transparent.com/word-of-the-day/today/portuguese.html. And don't just read the words, try to say them out loud/pronounce them, correctly. These sites (and Google Translate) can sound out the word for you so you can say it correctly.

4. Get used to how PT sounds: If you're American like me, you're used to how Mexicans speak and therefore how Spanish sounds like, from TV or from neighbors. But you are never really exposed to spoken Portuguese in America. So listening to PT is as important as speaking PT. You have to get used to how Brazilian PT is spoken and pronounced. Once you have increased your vocabulary, you can identify the words you know from listening to PT, and you get used to how it sounds. Another tip: try to start to watch Brazilian shows, first with english subtitles, so you know what is going on, and then with PT subtitles on, so you can read what they are saying, and know how words you recognize are pronounced. I recommend the Netflix show O Mecanismo. They seem to speak PT with the least amount of "girias" or slang, which could trip you up when you are starting, but eventually useful down the road.

5. Practice, practice, practice: You will never be fluent in any language if you don't practice with people who speak the language, and who are able to correct you and give you tips on your delivery. I'm sure once you are in Brazil you can do this, but while you are at home, that's what these private tutors are for.

Let us know how you do. And maybe we can meet up one day in BR and you can dazzle us with your newfound PT skills.

1 hour ago, numazu said:

I was gonna, say, when did this happen @scott456 lol. Then you gave some context, so I dug up that snippet you posted, shown here:

Yes, that is true, but I did not date him in the U.S. Gosh, I wish he did, that would've saved a lot money going back and forth to... Portugal. He was my first Brazilian bf, and he lived in Lisbon at that time. I met him in Lisbon, and "dated" him long-distance.

So to bring it back to the topic of this thread:

@floridarobyou know me very well, and for a few years now, so yes you would have seen the evolution from absolutely no Brazil whatsoever in brain to what I am now.

My advice, if you're just starting out:

1. Apps: I've never really learned as much from apps like Duolingo or Rosetta Stone, but if you're just starting out, I guess the repetition of these apps would benefit you, just to increase your vocabulary. Its funny that I've tried to learn other languages using Rosetta Stone and Duolingo but never really got fluent, but I've never tried learning PT on the apps and got fluent because...

2. Private lessons worked well for me. I'd recommend https://streetsmartbrazil.com or private tutors from https://preply.com. It'll be on your own pace, and you can tailor the lessons to what you want to know (tourist phrases, basic greetings, verb conjugation etc). It was worth every penny for me. When I started, I did about 2 months of classes and then that's all it took to get over the hump and after that I learned and practiced further fine on my own.

3. Increasing vocabulary is key: Like @scott456 said, I've learned Spanish in school, and the vocabulary of Spanish words I remembered from that was fairly useful for portuguese. I'd learn a word a day, and verbs are key as always, from either apps in the phone if you search "portuguese word a day" or sites like https://www.transparent.com/word-of-the-day/today/portuguese.html. And don't just read the words, try to say them out loud/pronounce them, correctly. These sites (and Google Translate) can sound out the word for you so you can say it correctly.

4. Get used to how PT sounds: If you're American like me, you're used to how Mexicans speak and therefore how Spanish sounds like, from TV or from neighbors. But you are never really exposed to spoken Portuguese in America. So listening to PT is as important as speaking PT. You have to get used to how Brazilian PT is spoken and pronounced. Once you have increased your vocabulary, you can identify the words you know from listening to PT, and you get used to how it sounds. Another tip: try to start to watch Brazilian shows, first with english subtitles, so you know what is going on, and then with PT subtitles on, so you can read what they are saying, and know how words you recognize are pronounced. I recommend the Netflix show O Mecanismo. They seem to speak PT with the least amount of "girias" or slang, which could trip you up when you are starting, but eventually useful down the road.

5. Practice, practice, practice: You will never be fluent in any language if you don't practice with people who speak the language, and who are able to correct you and give you tips on your delivery. I'm sure once you are in Brazil you can do this, but while you are at home, that's what these private tutors are for.

Let us know how you do. And maybe we can meet up one day in BR and you can dazzle us with your newfound PT skills.

Thank you for such detailed information! 

Btw, found quite a few hot tutors on https://preply.com/

definitely will try after I learn some basic words myself 

I highly rcmnd Dualingo; thats how I learned and m still learning Spanish.

Scott, Iattended a school in Cartagena for two weeks. One of the teachers there was good and nice, so m now taking zoom lessons with him - $15 per hour. Works GREAT.

• Members
13 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Scott, Iattended a school in Cartagena for two weeks. One of the teachers there was good and nice, so m now taking zoom lessons with him - $15 per hour. Works GREAT.

The local community college here in the States charges less than $15 per hour, not one-on-one but small class (less than 10 students per class), the teachers are certified, and with graduate school degrees.  Classrooms are standard American college classrooms, with central AC/heat, clean, good furnishings.  All of these are superior to most of the language schools in central/south America.

• Members
11 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Is he cute?

• Members

Personally I’d say the most efficient way would be: step 1. Get a basic gramma and word book, go through it without chewing. Step 2. Get a local companion to practice, reenforcing all the half digested contents you’ve read.

Then I guess it really depends on your goals. If it’s for traveling and you just want to do the basics, an app or YouTube would suffice. On the contrary, if you need to deal with the administration, or want to really understand the culture in depth, getting meanings between the lines, with some of the grammatical particularities such as future subjunctive and personal infinitive, then sign up a class in the local university.