reader

Luang Prabang is top favourite with Thai tourists

From The Nation

The town of Luang Prabang, which is renowned for Unesco’s listing of its old quarter as a world heritage site, has seen 90 per cent of room reservations made by Thai visitors since Laos lifted all entry restrictions in May.

resident of the Luang Prabang Hotel and Guesthouse Association,Toun Sisouphanthavong, said hotels and guesthouses have been almost fully booked due to the large number of Thai visitors coming to Luang Prabang since the government lifted travel restrictions after the Covid-19 outbreak subsided.

However, fewer people are arriving from Europe, the Republic of Korea, China and other countries because travel is still difficult and people are dealing with an economic downturn.

This week, the city is hosting a boat festival to celebrate the start of Buddhist Lent, in a bid to attract both Lao and foreign visitors.

Since the Laos-China Railway became operational, more people from Thailand and other countries have come to Laos to experience a new mode of travel through the country.

There are also more flights coming into Laos, easing air travel and bringing in more tourists.

However, Toun urged Laos-China Railway authorities to set up an online booking system, as this would make it much easier for people to plan their travels in Laos.

Continues at

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40017721

A little anecdote about the perfectly lovely Luang Prabang. I was there in 2003 and stayed in a newly opened small guest house on the banks of the Mekong run by a Lao who had spent many years sudying and working in Australia. I adored the short trip. One afternoon, I returned to the guest house to be told by the owner that I had just missed Mick Jagger sitting having a coffee with his daughter by the river. The Rolling Stones had had a concert in Mumbai cancelled and so Jagger had flown to Bangkok where he chartered a Bangkok Airways plane to visit Luang Prabang.

The owner had actually met Jagger in Australia. He had often worked as a security guard at large-scale pop concerts. While on duty at a Stones Sydney concert, at one point Jagger went up to him, asked about his nationality and if he could get some marijuana.  No problem said the Lao. I have a friend in the Embassy and he will get some sent down in the diplomatic bag overnight. Jagger recalled the unusual event and spent about 20 minutes withe the guest house owner. And I missed it!!!

23 hours ago, reader said:

Since the Laos-China Railway became operational, more people from Thailand and other countries have come to Laos to experience a new mode of travel through the country.

For me, this is the real attraction.

I've been overland by road from Vientiane to Luang Prabang.   That was something like 3 hours on a bus to Viang Vieng, then next day, about 6 hours in a minivan over the narrow mountain roads.    Of course you could fly, but it's worth going overland for the scenery.   Just the once.  

The railway ought to be an interesting compromise.  Less high altitude views & far more comfort.  Particularly if the Chinese still have 2 week quarantine by the time of my next holiday.