macaroni21

Bangkok post-Covid, July 2022

3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

As many of us would know, Super Rich offered some of the best exchange rates when changing cash. A particularly convenient branch was located on level 3 of Silom Center. It's no more. The next one that I knew of was located at the front of Silom Plaza (what we generally know as the Arena Massage building). So I went there. It too was closed.

The Super Rich next to Silom Plaza is still open but with shorter working hours (9am to 6pm). I just exchanged money there a couple of times, barely a week ago.

Some of the best exchange rates I had were from the money changer at Sala Daeng BTS, I think it was The Richey Money Exchange but last I saw of it online it said closed permanently. It was always a good rate there and as I used the BTS a lot was easiest to change there, hope it gets going again. 

34 minutes ago, TMax said:

Some of the best exchange rates I had were from the money changer at Sala Daeng BTS, I think it was The Richey Money Exchange but last I saw of it online it said closed permanently. It was always a good rate there and as I used the BTS a lot was easiest to change there, hope it gets going again. 

The best exchange rates I received for cash were at the airport rail station.  
I haven't used them for several years, as I now use Transferwise to move money to my Thai bank account.

Whilst I haven't looked closely, I think there is still some activity at the station, but much reduced.

The exchange rate places around Sala Daeng seem to be in a state of constant flux.   Once tourist numbers pick up, I expect more will open. 

3 hours ago, Boy69 said:

I know some can enjoy hunting boys in Bangkok and tell the whole world how wonderful their latest trip was and ignore the lifeless streets , shuttered business, absent of street stalls and markets but I couldn't do it , I will not be able to enjoy my self on this gloomy post covid area.

Everything I need in Bangkok is open.

The best coffee shops are still open.

My favourite restaurants are all still open.

There are enough massage shops open to provide choice.

The gogo bar scene is somewhat depleted, but I have learnt to cope without gogo bars.  If the likes of Fresh Boys put out some nice twinks in the thin white underwear they used to have, I'll be a customer.   If not, I'll enjoy myself on Grindr and just have a beer in Soi 4.    

I can only speak for Pattaya today, though I suspect that BKK is much the same.. It's a

mistake to expect more than a semblance of the old glories of the past. Too early for anything other than the green shoots of a recovery.

But don't be discouraged; there's plenty here to keep you happy. And that means a lot more than other places can offer. Anyway, we're overjoyed to be here. 

21 minutes ago, macaroni21 said:

Oh dear, I fear my opening post might have been made into something it was not intended to be. In any case, as with many things in life, the flux of life (and economics) is seldom amenable to being reduced to a simple dichotomy: good and bad. 

I didn't mean to give the impression that it's all doom and gloom. 

Please carry on posting as you are.   Many of us are enjoying this thread.   Just like we enjoyed your blog (assuming no mistaken identity).

As for choosing a holiday destination in 2022, the rational approach is to pick the best destination available in 2022.   Comparisons with 5 years ago are irrelevant, except for those members who possess a working time machine.

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

Am I enjoying myself? Yes, yes and yes. Choices may be more limited than before due to the closures, which may well be compensated for by new openings in due course, but for a short holiday, how many choices do I need?

Heartened to hear that you're enjoying yourself.

15 hours ago, Boy69 said:

@macaroni21 finally you are describing us the truth about the current situation in Silom-Suriwong area because  almost all the latest reports by other members you could get the false impression that things get back to normal which isn't the truth, I know some can enjoy hunting boys in Bangkok and tell the whole world how wonderful their latest trip was and ignore the lifeless streets , shuttered business, absent of street stalls and markets but I couldn't do it , I will not be able to enjoy my self on this gloomy post covid area.

I hope the situation will improve very soon so I can visit again my beloved Thailand as it was before. 

As you said in another thread recently

" don,t buy , don,t cry"

7 hours ago, numazu said:

And "gloomy post covid area (sic)" can be applied to any number of locations in the world, if that's how you view it, since none are "back to normal". Like others have said, everything you need in Bangkok is open. You can get your rocks off, you can eat the amazing food, BTS/taxis/tuk tuks are plentiful, and boy bars are open. If you'd rather stay home holding on to money while waiting for the world to get back to "normal", you might be waiting a long time.

no more waiting for anything - the Covid lesson is live in the moment, make educated choices re: personal behavior vs risk tolerance & don’t expect things to get better.  Majority of the world’s population has lived through much worse circumstances than Covid. Majority of us here are in age category of 45 -65 and mostly unaccustomed to adversity. It’s a curveball for sure, but life goes on.  

• Members

Best we just enjoy Bangkok as it is today.  I question that it will ever be as it was in the early years of 2000,  but that is history and Covid has changed things around the world.  Not just in Thailand. I am happy to have what we have now and, hopefully, it will get even better.

Regardless, I think that this thread is very active and this is good.  Just different opinions.