macaroni21

Bangkok post-Covid, July 2022

19 minutes ago, fedssocr said:

maybe it's too cold for them to wear less clothing

Quite possibly.

To solve that, the bar needs to adjust the aircon temperature to a compromise level, just like other bars have been doing for decades.      People will happily sit in outside bars with no aircon.    So if it's 30 C outside, somewhere around 26~27 inside still works for all.   Preferably with the cool airflow aimed at the customers, who are usually clothed.

However, if they don't know how to adjust the music volume, I guess they might be equally challenged by the temperature control.

11 hours ago, macaroni21 said:
  • He mentioned something about the difficulty of attracting gogoboys should they insist that they strip down on stage ("Boy don't want to work here."). I would have thought that if that's the boy's position, then this cannot possibly be a vocation for him, but New Twlight might think differently.
  • I tried to ask about tea money and if there were different rates for strip bars versus jeans-and-shirts bars, but got nowhere (or he didn't understand my question);

Thai people have a tendency to say they don't understand you when they don't want to answer a particular question.

It is difficult to attract boys to work in bars indeed due many reasons: Some prefer to find their customers in the apps without the commitment to bosses in bars, some don't like to rotate semi-naked in very cold air condition environment, some are to shy to expose themselves to customers in bars and the last reason I can think of is the vast improvement at the Thai economy in the past ten years making it possible to find better jobs .

There's another possible reason: the manager and mamasans were all wearing suits. Part of the "higher class" look that they're aiming for, perhaps? They won't feel the cold, and think the airconditioning is just fine, while the boys and customers freeze their male-tits off. In a sense, one can say, even in the simple matter of temperature control, the (misguided) business design has closed off a feedback loop.

16 hours ago, z909 said:

I'd be really surprised if finding gogo boys prepared to strip down to underwear on stage were that difficult.  

Quite a number of my Pattaya friends that used to work as Gogo boys don't want to go back to wearing their pants again after such a long hiatus. Seems that they are happy to be fully dressed host boys and to use their charm to snare customers 

There may be something to the post COVID angle. Some might have put on the kilos and know they won't look good in tight briefs now.

But the bigger picture is this: pre or post COVID, the vast majority of people won't be caught dead gyrating away on a stage in underwear, so gogoboys has always been minority vocation. Each cohort in turn had suffered the ravages of age and moved on, to be replaced by the next cohort. Maybe the question is why the new cohort is smaller than the previous. Rising prosperity?

Host boy is not as easy as it sounds. It requires language (English, Japanese, Chinese) and conversational skills.

Just last night, I saw a bunch of women call a boy down from the stage only to discover within 5 minutes that no conversation could be had and sent him back.

They probably tipped him and he'd get his 100 baht from the boy drink, so he didn't do too badly out of that, I suppose, 😛

9 hours ago, colmx said:

Quite a number of my Pattaya friends that used to work as Gogo boys don't want to go back to wearing their pants again after such a long hiatus. Seems that they are happy to be fully dressed host boys and to use their charm to snare customers 

5 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

The vast majority of people won't be caught dead gyrating away on a stage in underwear, so gogoboys has always been minority vocation. Each cohort in turn had suffered the ravages of age and moved on, to be replaced by the next cohort. Maybe the question is why the new cohort is smaller than the previous. Rising prosperity?

Whilst I don't believe MBs would be unwilling to dance on stage in underwear, when there are alternatives such as host bars or the apps, I very much see why some of them choose those instead of gogo bars.    Quite a few app boys don't even work in the host bars and those that do seem free to come and go as they please.

There are a couple of obvious ways for gogo bars to solve this:

(i) Pay the boys more.   I remember reading a blog, probably Stickman, where the author was chatting to a girly gogo bar owner and a couple of young ladies came in and asked for jobs as nude dancers.   They wanted the nude jobs, because they pay more.  

With the exception of Winner Boys, every gay gogo bar in Pattaya charges 200 or more for a drink.  In Bangkok, I think it's 350~500.    The gogo bars need to spend some of that extra gross margin on entertainment to lure the customers in.   If they are greedy and try to keep too much of that gross margin, they will struggle to get customers & deserve the inevitable business failure.

Incidentally, pre-covid, customers could see full on nudity in Pattaya girlie gogo bars with drinks from about 120 baht.   I think they make that work due to the volume of customers and rumoured higher off fees, hence they can pay enough to attract staff.

Also, when observed from a distance, all the girlie host bars in Pattaya seem to be staffed by ladies who are carrying more weight and have been around for a few years.   
I suspect the girlie gogo bars are paying their staff more than the host bars, in order to attract those in their prime & get their clothes off.  I expect the boy bars to do the same. 

(ii) Cast the net wider with recruitment.   Whilst Thailand might have near full employment, I doubt the economy is doing too well in Myanmar, for example.  

Host boy is not as easy as it sounds. It requires language (English, Japanese, Chinese) and conversational skills.

Theoretically.

There was the Scorpion bar in Soi Twilight which had host boys who relied purely on their appearance, with zero conversational skills in English.   Admittedly, I went there just the once and never repeated the mistake.

I bought a boy that I know a drink at a host bar in Jomtien.   Now whilst he can proficiently ask if you want a drink, his English skills run out pretty quickly after that.  The only way to communicate is phone translation and even then, he needs the output as Khmer audio.   Written Khmer, Thai or English isn't good enough.

Admittedly, the majority of lads that I meet know more than enough English for their profession.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, Boy69 said:

Thai people have a tendency to say they don't understand you when they don't want to answer a particular question.

... Or to say they understand you (or just say "yes" to everything) while in fact they didn't understand you at all... Or am I the only one with this expierence more than once...? 

10 hours ago, reader said:

I consider this shop the most reliable in BKK at the moment. 

16 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

In total, I spent about one hour 25 minutes there. K-Man Spa’s pricelist showed 60-minutes to be 500 baht for oil massage (550 for aroma massage) and 600 baht for 90-minutes. The manager mentioned something about a minimum tip of 1,000 baht. Their advertising mentioned something about promotions, but either I was outside the applicable time period or it was conveniently forgotten in my case.

Overall – would I go back to K-Man Spa again? Yes. Would I choose Teyko again? I think so. 

So K-Man is definitely on my to-go list for my September trip... Thanks for the review. 

He leaned over and sort of whispered into my ear. "I can bottom," he said. I hadn't expected that, as he looked straight to me. Nonetheless, I did not let my surprise delay me. My reply was ready. "And I can top."

Lol!

From my limited experience with the massage scene in Bangkok and with my communication with my regular boys, some of the boys work as freelancers. They would share their photo with what they call as managers or what we commonly know as mamasan. 

I was initially very confuse when I noticed there were duplication of the boys images in some of the line chat group of the massage shops. But soon I was educated by one of the freelancer that he distributes his photo to the various shops. 

Some of them can also be found on popular apps such as Grindr so you may contact them directly.

Earlier this year due to the pandemic it is normal that all the boys ‘work from home’ and are only activated when there is a booking. There are some of the boys who also hold a full time job and will only be activated when they do have a booking.

There are some boys who are exclusive to a shop but there are quite a percentage that are also butterflies (not just us). 

On 7/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Guest said:

There are a couple of obvious ways for gogo bars to solve this:

(i) Pay the boys more.   I remember reading a blog, probably Stickman, where the author was chatting to a girly gogo bar owner and a couple of young ladies came in and asked for jobs as nude dancers.   They wanted the nude jobs, because they pay more.  

(ii) Cast the net wider with recruitment.   Whilst Thailand might have near full employment, I doubt the economy is doing too well in Myanmar, for example. 

@I: the ´wages´ if paid at all are laughingly low compared to what guys COULD earn by what they are there for.  Most bars instead offer free meals, regular outings//´pahtees´ etc to keep up the common club-spirit. Which in fact is pretty common for many other bisnis in TH too.

@II: that has been done since many yrs-and in the lower graded Thai establishments which I used to visit -till covid struck- at least 50% of the guys were from there + Laos and even more from Khmerland=Cambodia. But many of them were forced to go home in covid and have not yet re-appeared

The MAIN reason that less and fewer Thai come there is simply demography: every year fewer births, half of them are guys, and thus the pool to fish in gets smaller and smaller. The once so common 5/even10+ kids in an Isan family-all gone.

And I just read that as tourism is rebouding-Thai HTLs struggle with finding staff- a same-same sign.