PeterRS

The Webb Telescope

• Members

Unfortunately, there is a paywall. If you can access The Washington Post, they published a very educative annotated slides show with some Webb's photographies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/interactive/2022/nasa-webb-space-telescope-images-explained/?itid=sf_article_list

I am pasting a screenshot with  a quick sample:

I am even more blown away. 13.1 billion light years away. Only 700 million years after the Big Bang? How does one actually measure that? How long has that light taken to reach the telescope? What was the Big Bang? I was always taught that if something inflates then it must do so into something - like a balloon inflating into the air around it or a ship displacing the water it sails in? What existed prior to the Big Bang? Into what did that monster explosion of matter expand? Try as I have, I just cannot get my mind around it!

• Members
On 7/18/2022 at 6:39 PM, PeterRS said:

What existed prior to the Big Bang?

If I understand what I've read, one theory is that everything - all the matter in the universe, and all the energy - existed in a single point called the singularity.    When it exploded, everything contained in it started flying away in all directions.  That's what we're seeing flying away from us today.

It's mind-boggling that everything we can see once existed in a single infinitesimal point, but smarter folks than I am believe that to be the case.

I've also read that someday things will start contracting again and everything - all matter and all energy - will collapse once more into another singularity, a single point containing everything.  And then I guess the whole thing could start all over again.

But I think there's another theory that says things will just keep flying away, expanding into space and never stopping until someday entropy will be complete and there won't be any identifiable matter or any measurable energy.  They call that 'heat death'.

I'm sure not the guy to explain what happened or what's going to happen but I recently saw a PBS special about the Webb telescope in which someone remarked how amazing it was that folks on this tiny planet of ours, orbiting an unremarkable star in an unremarkable solar system in an unremarkable galaxy, should have figured out how to look all the way to the edge of the universe.

I do think it's a privilege even to have these kinds of discussions.  In fact, if I had to choose between searching for the answer and actually having the answer, I think I'd pick the former.  But I couldn't swear I wouldn't page ahead to see how it all ends.  unsure.gif

ce372a053ec1912f33af9d59adc33590--vintag