Olddaddy

How much to tip boy next to you

8 hours ago, jonnycome said:

I see there is a guest on this thread a lot. Are guests allowed to post without logging in? 

All those posts were by the on person, who has since quit he board, it seems, so his posts now state "guest".

Sad if he has left just because one poster did not apologise for saying something objectionable, you have a reasonably thick skin for posting on message boards.

13 hours ago, Rick7235 said:

Hi few questions.  Hope someone might be able to help ...

1) can we off the model from Jupiter?  For overnight 

2) if can ..how do I go about doing that ? Do I speak with the mamasan?

3) what is the regular rate for that ?

Thanks in advance 

1. Yes you can off those guys. Not allow them would do long time but some will. Talk about this with boy rather than mamasan unless you need translation.

2. Call boy over or signal to them you are interested by tipping them , say , 100 baht during their parade and chances are they will.somm be somewhere close to you so you can call them over

3.depensing on the boy and your negotiating skills expect to pay 3000 to as much as 5000 for overnight

21 hours ago, belkinDC said:

I think @TotallyOzis being a bit cheeky and not seriously suggesting these are going rates 😅

I wonder how often it has to be repeated that there is no such thing as a going rate. A tip is a tip is a tip. It is up to the customer to decide. There are no doubt parameters. Those who are perhaps better off financially than others may decide to offer a higher tip than those who are less well off. Also not everyone intends to off a boy every night of a visit for some visiting bars etc. live here.

Irrespective of financial status, I always felt that performance played a part in whatever I tipped. And unllike many, I never once negotiated in advance. What @TotallyOz offers is his business, same as what @belkinDC offers is his. 

14 hours ago, ichigo said:

Wow you must have so many stories to tell and seen so many changes since coming to Thailand in 1979! 🤩

Hah! Too true! One of the perks of being based in Asia for so many decades was that Bangkok was merely a short flight away - and often just a short stop-over to another city in the region for business meetings.

Perhaps it's the old rosy-tinted spectacles thing allied to general ageing but I find the changes have not been for the better. No doubt, too, the economic development of the country equally has had quite a major effect.

1 hour ago, PeterRS said:

A tip is a tip is a tip. It is up to the customer to decide. There are no doubt parameters. Those who are perhaps better off financially than others may decide to offer a higher tip than those who are less well off. Also not everyone intends to off a boy every night of a visit for some visiting bars etc. live here.

Irrespective of financial status, I always felt that performance played a part in whatever I tipped. And unllike many, I never once negotiated in advance. What @TotallyOz offers is his business, same as what @belkinDC offers is his. 

While they like to call it a "tip", functionally, it is not. If the bar or massage parlour paid the boys a meaningful salary or at least a biggish commission*, then any additional amount we give to the host, gogoboy or masseur would, functionally, be a tip in that it would be a token of appreciation. In that form, it would be a smaller and more discretionary amount, e.g. the 100 baht we give to a boy who sat with us for 15 - 20 minutes in a gogobar without an off.

(*I am fully aware that if the bars and massage parlours were to pay a meaningful salary, they might have to jack up their list prices... or they might have to stop paying the cops.)

However, in the context of a gogoboy or masseur providing sexual services which the bar or massage parlour (officially) denies responsibility for, then it becomes a fee, not a tip. Fees are either negotiated, or, in the absence of a negotiation, based on some sort of going rate.

My personal opinion is that TotallyOz's scale of remuneration (to be precise, he said "acceptable price") is on the high side. In his post 9:38am of 24 July, he said

Bangkok Short time - 3,000 baht

Pattaya Short time - 2,000 baht plus taxi

While he is free to apply his own (generous) rates, as anyone is. I think the going rates are roughly 60 - 75% of those figures. We hear the mamasans in gogo bars say 2,000 baht would be expected for short-time. I think in Pattaya a mamasan would say 1,500? (not too sure here, perhaps others can share their experience). 

In the Bangkok massage places, my recent experience is that the managers are suggesting 1,000 to 1,200 baht, on average, for playtime at the end of a one-hour massage. Nine Massage actually says 1,000 on its website.

And I also agree with you that performance must play a (big) part in what we finally fork out. So, the way I see it. there is a "fee" component and a "tip" component. Say, we take a gogoboy out from a Bangkok bar. Nowadays, it seems the expected fee is 2,000 baht. But if the guy gave us a great time, we may add 200 or 300 baht on top. That would be the tip component. Ditto n a massage parlour. The expected rate may be 1,000 to 1,200, but if we're on Cloud Nine after the session, we naturally feel an extra 200 - 300 baht is well-deserved.

Just in case my comments above are misinterpreted, when I say an extra 200-300 baht would be appropriate as the discretionary tip component for really good service, that is exactly what I mean. This tip component is not normalized. That is to say, in more than 50% of engagements, I do not add this tip. They get exactly what was agreed or what is the going rate. Only about one in three boys/masseurs get extra. That way the extra really represents an above average performance. Boys, in my experience, have been happy with my compensation either way. When they get extra, they show their delight.

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

the 100 baht we give to a boy who sat with us for 15 - 20 minutes in a gogobar without an off.

On second thoughts, this is not a good example of a tip either. It is kinda mandatory, after all, so it's more of a fee for time spent. A better example might be the 100 baht we give to a selected mamasan after he/ she gave us a good recommendation or extra information about a desired boy or helped translate...

I think a discussion about MB rates must be a sharing of experiences. To give others (specially newbies) and idea on what to expect. We don't have to judge each other on what we pay a MB.

Some of us might have a bit more to spent than others. Why would that not be oke? Good for the MB! 

But in general I myself find I very useful to have an idea of the "going rates". General difference between Pattaya and Bangkok. And between different bars (for example Moonlight and Jupiter vs DreamBoy). 

But in the end its all up to you and the MB on what rate you agree on. And also totally up to you to maybe add some extra tip for outstanding service and performance on top of the agreed rate... 

5 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

While they like to call it a "tip", functionally, it is not . . .

However, in the context of a gogoboy or masseur providing sexual services which the bar or massage parlour (officially) denies responsibility for, then it becomes a fee, not a tip. Fees are either negotiated, or, in the absence of a negotiation, based on some sort of going rate

Apologies in advance if this has already been covered for I have not read the full thread. But in the case of the provision of sexual services, in Thailand a tip is indeed just that - a tip! At least in terms of the law. The provision of sexual services for cash or other gain from an establishment like a gogo bar, host bar, spa or other such venue is illegal. If a bar was to pay a boy a living wage and then rent him out, that in the peculiar Thai way of logic is prostitution. Paying a bar fine is not because it denies the bar of the boy's time to dance or whatever. Negotiating a fee in advance between two people for sexual services is technically an agreed advance payment and is therefore prostitution. Tipping a boy or a girl at the end of a session is technically not payment for sexual services!

But I can't imagine any of the boys in blue who get their monthly commissions are going to be too fussy about it LOL!

It's always been generally accepted that two types of posts are the most popular and well read: trip reports and venue reports.  If this discussion has proven anything it's that the topic of money--and how and why we spend it--is deserving of a place alongside them.

In the five days since this thread first appeared, it has attracted over, 2,400 views and 88 replies. It has succeeded in touching a cord that has prompted numerous members to participate. To a man, they all have divergent views, something I don't believe comes as a shock to any of us.

Unlike trip reports, which almost always win universal acclaim. discussions about money have almost the opposite effect. No two posters see it precisely the same way. Maybe that's because it's such a deeply personal matter. Some just want to get their rocks off and walk away from the engagement with a quickly fading but pleasant memory. Some prefer to see their time together as an opportunity get to know these young men with hopes of possibly seeing some of them again.

This is all to be expected because we're all motivated by different needs and emotions and--like snowflakes--no two are alike.

While it's been a motivating discussion, talking about sex and money is akin to talking about religion and politics. No one is going to persuade another to come around to their way of thinking.

But it makes for a hell of a ride.