reader

A Tropical Vineyard In Thailand

It seems there are several vineyards now appearing in the Kingdom. Visiting the famous Dansai Ghost Festival in Loei Province some years ago, I was surprised when our minibus passed quite a large vineyard. I was informed it was the first vineyard in Thailand and that the elevation, soil and hilly region made it ideal for making wine. This is a description. I did taste one of the wines - can't recall now which one. Pleasant and drinkable but certainly nothing special. Over the years I am sure they will improve in quality.

Chateau de Loei

The Chateau de Loei winery is situated at 600 metres above sea level in the province of Loei, some 500 km north of Bangkok, and 60 km from the provincial capital, Loei. The first wines were vinified in 1995. Thus Chateau de Loei is the first winery in Thailand. With 130 hectares it is 60% bigger than the PB Winery and more than eight times bigger than the GranMonte Winery. Here, too, the Shiraz and Chenin Blanc grape varieties, which thrive best in the tropics, are cultivated.

The winery offers a large selection of different wines. The inexpensive wines are cheaper than at the previously visited wineries. But these also cost THB 450 (CHF/USD 14.50) per bottle due to the high alcohol tax. Some of these wines are drinkable, but they were not a pleasure. Since the Chateau de Loei produces a large quantity of wine, there must also be enough Thai buyers who have become accustomed to these wines over more than 20 years.

Near Chiang Mai there is also an amazing tiny distillery that makes liqueurs from Thai fruits. I visited with a friend around a dozen years ago as his nephew runs it. Both are Austrian. I thought the quality both original and quite stunning. As the output is so small, almost all is exported. But you can occasionally find a bottle or two in one or two of Bangkok's really top hotels.

php4Qz47SPM.jpg