Olddaddy

Is it just me? Am I too old?

5 hours ago, scott456 said:

I don't have family members or any significant others to worry about.  I don't want to leave any money to anyone.  So I just need to figure out a way to time my death and money spending. 

You don't get lonely by yourself?

Do you care for yourself?

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

It's not just the advent of the Final Curtain, but the increased possibility of ill-health that would make the already arduous journey to BKK beyond my capabilities that haunts me.

Then there comes the farewell to P. Will  it be the final one?

Hello Londoner,

Without prying too much - why not solve this problem by just moving to Thailand?

Then you can have more time with P. and be where you might want to already be when the end of the life journey arrives.

I am moving to Jomtien in September - as part of my retirement plan for the final segment of my life.  This is my motivation to write to you what I wrote. 

3 hours ago, Slvkguy said:

Aging is a mixed bag, but overall a blessing as we get older & wiser - seemingly important things become less so and it’s the small things that bring joy.  A more simple life w more simple pleasures.  For me, it’s about growing older gracefully which means acknowledging the new realities, lots of self-care and less fear of judgment. It’s liberating to let those things go. 

Of course there’s an end and that’s to be expected.  The western cultures are taught to fear death, even though many others believe it’s just another transition to something better. 

This isn’t dark subject matter or a discussion that should be taboo. It’s real and many of us are at the point where these thoughts come & go.  Better to bring it out into the light where others can support and let you know they’re experiencing the exact same thing.

Yes. Coming to appreciate and embrace the difference between pleasure and joy has been critical for me.

6 hours ago, PeterRS said:

It's certainly not only you - or at least, it certainly shouldn't be! I'm just surprised that reading between the lines of your post you have left it so long to consult your lawyer. Hopefully it's only to revise an existing wil.

Keep in mind that that if you're at all considering naming a foreign national in your will, the post-death transfer process is more complicated than if you both resided in the same country (at least that's the case in the US and I suspect other countries have their own laws regarding this). The laws of the country where the beneficiary lives also come into  play. I've found that not all lawyers are familiar with them and prepared to properly advise you. Finding a lawyer who is could be your first step.