Olddaddy

Why not retire to Thailand?

Would be quite interesting to see just how many gay farangs are nstill retiring to Thailand particularly Pattaya 

The current 50yo to 65yo age gay farang group is very different to the generation of 25 years ago.

More wealthier,more knowledgeable, far more different,I don't think as "settled",

I can't see the new generation of gay retirees doing what the past generation did 

Do any of you agree with that?

5 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Would be quite interesting to see just how many gay farangs are nstill retiring to Thailand particularly Pattaya 

The current 50yo to 65yo age gay farang group is very different to the generation of 25 years ago.

More wealthier,more knowledgeable, far more different,I don't think as "settled",

I can't see the new generation of gay retirees doing what the past generation did 

Do any of you agree with that?

Yes I agree the west culture is much more open to gays ,  more gay enentertiment venues.the internet, apps and smartphones made hook up more easily then it used to be before .gay peoples have  more opportunities in their home countries nowadays . Thailand is no longer the great escape destination.

Many years ago I had the opportunity leaving at Pattaya  couple of month every time and it was a gay heaven I had everything I needed there and rarely leaved the city limits nowadays it's still fun but not close compare to the past after a week l find myself bored and prefer traveling more other destinations in Thailand. 

With younger gay tourists seemingly wealthier and travel hopefully soon to become less expensive, I'm rather surprised that there seem to be no tour companies around organising gay tours to several countries on one trip. Many will recall the Utopia Tours company which was based in the Tarntawan hotel lobby. It did organise multi-country tours. Sadly it became the subject of a scandalous court case (the scandal surrounded the judge!) and later shut up shop. I believe it was reincarnated as Purple Dragon Tours. But even that no longer exists. Anyone wanting to know more about that case can check here -

https://web.archive.org/web/20050606015724/http:/www.yawningbread.org/arch_2005/yax-435.htm

I know that Siam Roads provides excellent guides around the region.  But it does not include Malaysia, Hong Kong or Taiwan nor make transport and hotel arrangements. Once the covid entry restrictions in all countries are removed, I expect the gay scenes in these cities to be fully open to tourists again. Perhaps the new breed of sex-related tourist might wish to include at least 2 if not 3 destination countries rather than always sticking with Bangkok and Pattaya.

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

But what would we leave behind if we were to locate?  I decided back in 2004 when this issue was uppermost in my mind,  that frequent visits were the better option for me.

And then came Covid.  

I guess you would leave behind family,friends?

Maybe medical services you don't have to pay for .

I just can't see the same level of gay farangs living in Pattaya say in 10 years like there is now,and even now many of the older ones have left and are slowly leaving.

I'm not sure how the gay  beer bars are surviving,I guess to many owners it's just a hobby.

3 hours ago, PeterRS said:

With younger gay tourists seemingly wealthier and travel hopefully soon to become less expensive, I'm rather surprised that there seem to be no tour companies around organising gay tours to several countries on one trip. Many will recall the Utopia Tours company which was based in the Tarntawan hotel lobby. It did organise multi-country tours. Sadly it became the subject of a scandalous court case (the scandal surrounded the judge!) and later shut up shop. I believe it was reincarnated as Purple Dragon Tours. But even that no longer exists. Anyone wanting to know more about that case can check here -

https://web.archive.org/web/20050606015724/http:/www.yawningbread.org/arch_2005/yax-435.htm

I know that Siam Roads provides excellent guides around the region.  But it does not include Malaysia, Hong Kong or Taiwan nor make transport and hotel arrangements. Once the covid entry restrictions in all countries are removed, I expect the gay scenes in these cities to be fully open to tourists again. Perhaps the new breed of sex-related tourist might wish to include at least 2 if not 3 destination countries rather than always sticking with Bangkok and Pattaya.

Very interesting link 

As for gay tour companies I can see a future,but I think they will concentrate on the middle aged wealthier gays particularly the gay couples ,I very much doubt Pattaya will be high on their list,many I see like the Greek islands,Turkey,Boracay ,Rio ,I doubt moneyboy Pattaya has much appeal for middle-aged gay couples .

Even the mature aged gay man as you mentioned now can use apps & far far more gay destinations

That link to Utopia travel was very interesting read , it did happen nearly 20 years ago but nothing has changed.

That matter was caused by the Australian government at the time but nothing has changed in Australia the people & media are still homophobic to a degree .

Of course this sort of stuff went in years ago where pedophiles did prey on children in Thailand but in them days they linked gay men to that and pedophiles should never be thought of as part of the gay community.

I often cringe sometimes when I read on gay Asian forums the use of the word "boys" to describe young men of 18plus ,the Karen's will soon have a field day when they start reading these forums .

Olddaddy asks what i would leave behind, well... yes, the NHS was the factor for an ageing diabetic. Particularly when I saw what happened to an American expat friend whose insurance ran -out as he lay in hospital with cancer.

Family and friends, yes....though sadly, not really true seventeen years later.

But classical music, Chelsea FC (live, not on TV!)and  my political activities would all have been deeply missed.

And the changing of the seasons- the advent of autumn and of spring in particular. The winter, since you may ask, is ideally spent as much as possible here in Thailand!

1 hour ago, Olddaddy said:

Maybe medical services you don't have to pay for .

I think once I retire fully ( I'm still not retired at 62) but once I do I may consider a few months a year in Pattaya, but as someone posted above ,you can meet guys anywhere nowadays via apps and there are gay bars in nearly every city ,so why Pattaya ?

Dumamagette or Palawan  in Philippines, a lot of farangs.

Philippines has also a lot of handsome boys , and very loving of  older mature western men, a lot less moneyboys than Thailand in my experience there the last few months although I don't like Manila I like Davao City and parts of Cebu/ Mactan island etc.

Filipino boys seem to be more boyfriend type experience than the Thai boys I experienced 

Just a thought. Retiring in thailand or pattaya specifically doesnt mean u are stuck there. The same way u are travelling for few months now to thailand, u could very well do the opposite when u make thailand your base. If this is the case, would anyone here feel changing your base to thailand easier?

1 hour ago, spoon said:

Just a thought. Retiring in thailand or pattaya specifically doesnt mean u are stuck there. The same way u are travelling for few months now to thailand, u could very well do the opposite when u make thailand your base. If this is the case, would anyone here feel changing your base to thailand easier?

That would mean vacating the place you own for very long periods of time rather than just a few months per visit. 
It would probably mean selling my place which I am very loath to do. So for me it’s live in the UK and spend long holidays in Thailand.

• Members
5 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I would suggest a long stay > 1 year in Thailand before planning the final retirement in Thailand.  I did my long stay for 1.5 years, and I decided it is not for me.

My belief is that your idea is very good advice.  Spend some time checking Thailand out before making a commitment to set up life here. Certainly before buying a condo and any real property because, let's face it, that is a major financial commitment that is not easy to get out of.

6 hours ago, scott456 said:

I would suggest a long stay > 1 year in Thailand before planning the final retirement to Thailand.  I did my long stay for 1.5 years, and I decided it is not for me.

You raised a good point living in Thailand permanently is completely different thing then staying there limited time for vacation,  Can you explain why you decided it's not for you ?

7 hours ago, scott456 said:

I would suggest a long stay > 1 year in Thailand before planning the final retirement to Thailand.  I did my long stay for 1.5 years, and I decided it is not for me.

Very interesting,

What kind of things made you think otherwise Scott?

Did you base your stay in Pattaya and/or Bangkok areas ?

What was your daily routine,was it far different than your normal one where you live?

13 hours ago, gerefan said:

That would mean vacating the place you own for very long periods of time rather than just a few months per visit. 
It would probably mean selling my place which I am very loath to do. So for me it’s live in the UK and spend long holidays in Thailand.

Yes not a good idea to sell up everything in your own home country and then be left with nothing if Shit hits the fan.

On 7/31/2022 at 7:04 AM, PeterRS said:

travel hopefully soon to become less expensive

What makes you hope this?

Hotels, at least  in Thailand, have  been ridiculously cheap for the last 2 years and are probably only back to 80% of prepandemic price level. I wouldn't expect them to lower again.
Flight prices now are higher than before Covid but why would they go down with all those fuel crisis, co2 crisis etc?
What am I overlooking?

20 hours ago, spoon said:

Well not really.

If you sold your house in farangland wherever that may be ,and make Thailand your home then it's going to be expensive to go back to your own country unless you had somewhere to stay cheaply.

17 hours ago, 10tazione said:

What makes you hope this?

Hotels, at least  in Thailand, have  been ridiculously cheap for the last 2 years and are probably only back to 80% of prepandemic price level. I wouldn't expect them to lower again.
Flight prices now are higher than before Covid but why would they go down with all those fuel crisis, co2 crisis etc?
What am I overlooking?

I was not referring specifically to Thailand. Travel pricing depends on a host of factors and there is no reason to believe that, as in the past, high prices are here to stay in the long run.

Re air fares, of course they are higher due to much greater than expected demand after covid, oil price, high inflation rate, finding new staff fast, peak summer demand etc. But airlines have been through similar price hikes before and prices have eventually come down. Remember when oil was almost $150 per barrel? That was in 2008 and 2012 and was followed by predictions of doom and gloom for the travel industry. By 2016 it was down to around $60. Just yesterday alone there was a cut of 12% in the price of jet fuel.