Olddaddy

Why not retire to Thailand?

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Ouch, you can tell you are from Boston.....this, along with "you's guys" .....co-workers ridiculed  me to death until I stopped using them 😆

"you's guys" was the patois of the North End and Eastie. You really didn't want to be caught speaking the King's English in either place. 😄

6 hours ago, scott456 said:

Economy class is the same 13 hours.  What I meant was, I fly business class, and 13 hours in business class is not difficult for me at all.  That's why I say Thailand is only a 13 hour business class flight away.

I am so sorry some people react to business/economy class issue so strongly.

Scott, don't take that personally , posters are just having a joke , and a bit of banter 👍😅

You must admit you found some of the posts funny too,the one where the front of the plane arrives first😂

No it's good fun , nothing personal 👍

56 minutes ago, floridarob said:

The copilot replies, "I told her the front half of the airplane wasn't going to Jamaica."

while just a joke  when come to airplanes it may prove true when comes to trains as sometimes different carriages are going to different destinations splitting somewhere on the way.

as for arrival at the same time I recall situation from Honolulu years ago when for some reason boarding for delayed  Melbourne bound flight was quite unruly with people crowing up instead of lining neatly.

Seeing what's going on,  desperate employee announced though loud speaker ' please line up as captain assures us all passengers will arrive at the same time".

It did the trick almost immediately with most of us hanging head low in bit of shame

On 8/6/2022 at 1:29 PM, Olddaddy said:

Look I'm going to be honest , my Filipino boyfriend suggested  sometime  we should go on a cruise in Alaska that he looked up.

I asked him if it was thru a "gay travel company"?

No he said ,"Does it matter?

Yes , I'm going to feel very awkward on a cruise with a man (Boyfriend)who has boyish looks and is 30yo whilst I'm 62 and  mostly  retired  European &  American couples on the cruise who may judge/not judge 

I won't go on something like that, cruises etc , that means I have to be open and introduce my partner etc only to be laughed at behind our backs or judged etc ,no not for me unless it's a gay travel agency 

I'm circling back to this discussion, because I returned from my first-ever cruise (ship) - three days ago.  A Royal Caribbean Line ship, 7 nights to the Western Caribbean (4 port stops:  Honduras, Belize and 2 in Mexico).  A small ship with about 2,000 passengers. 

My observations:  onboard were many gay men and lesbians spanning all age groups ... including one group of 50 gay men belonging to the Prime Timers social group.  There was a nightly gathering for gays in one of the bars.  The Cruise Director was gay. 

There was no assigned seating in the Main Dining Room, and the ship I was on had 5 or 6 eating areas.  I was assigned one of the two time slots to eat in the Main Dining Room but I opted to eat in the buffet restaurant instead. 

Passengers interact with one another as they see fit.  Engage in conversations with others, or not.  I did not sense anyone judging another passenger - gay or straight.  People go on cruises to have a good time.  If you are sharing a stateroom with a younger man and enjoying the ship's various venues, I doubt anyone will care.  

I think what you're going through is not unusual, but you have the good sense to accept it and plan accordingly. I've met Canadian straight expat men in Latin America, Mexico and Costa Rica, who moved there for retirement. They're usually divorced and alone except for other lonely expat men they meet every day at a bar. For whatever reason they haven't found a local woman to marry who at least would bring companionship and her own family for added security. I think the companionship is the big thing except for the true loners who don't want it. It sounds like income won't be an issue for you which is a definitely a plus.

9 hours ago, Mavica said:

I did not sense anyone judging another passenger

I was lucky enough to get a ticket for the opening ceremony of the Vancouver Olympics. I was sitting next to a gay couple, and one of the two men carried on a hilarious commentary throughout the ceremony. We were also sitting in the midst of a group of couples, the husbands all being the managers of tire shops in small town B.C. and Alberta. The wives were laughing at all the jokes, but the husbands were probably all thinking this is what happens when you come to the Sodom and Gomorrah that is Vancouver.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:08 PM, Mavica said:

I'm circling back to this discussion, because I returned from my first-ever cruise (ship) - three days ago.  A Royal Caribbean Line ship, 7 nights to the Western Caribbean (4 port stops:  Honduras, Belize and 2 in Mexico).  A small ship with about 2,000 passengers. 

My observations:  onboard were many gay men and lesbians spanning all age groups ... including one group of 50 gay men belonging to the Prime Timers social group.  There was a nightly gathering for gays in one of the bars.  The Cruise Director was gay. 

There was no assigned seating in the Main Dining Room, and the ship I was on had 5 or 6 eating areas.  I was assigned one of the two time slots to eat in the Main Dining Room but I opted to eat in the buffet restaurant instead. 

Passengers interact with one another as they see fit.  Engage in conversations with others, or not.  I did not sense anyone judging another passenger - gay or straight.  People go on cruises to have a good time.  If you are sharing a stateroom with a younger man and enjoying the ship's various venues, I doubt anyone will care.  

I recently took my first cruise as well. Mine was a Mediterranean cruise on Virgin. Tons of gay couples and small groups of gay friends. Lots of lesbian couples as well. Very gay crew. They even have drag shows. I was traveling solo. Didn't feel obligated to interact with anyone. It was worth doing once but not really for me.