TomNg

Amara vs The Raya Surawong, which hotel would you choose ?

I’ve stayed at both and like them both, for different reasons.

But, for the same price, my choice would most definitely be for Amara.

More upscale, especially friendly and efficient front desk staff, excellent bedding, rooftop pool, executive floor lounge for afternoon drinks and breakfast (currently closed, I think). I always stay on a high floor on the side with view of the Mahanakhon tower.

That’s the one thing I dislike about the Raya, not only no view but the windows are tiny. Once they put me in a room 1 floor beneath reception and it was quite dreadful. I think it was under a steam room or something. Quite dark and dank. All other times I was on an upper floor, that was ok.

27 minutes ago, JimmyJoe said:

I’ve stayed at both and like them both, for different reasons.

But, for the same price, my choice would most definitely be for Amara.

More upscale, especially friendly and efficient front desk staff, excellent bedding, rooftop pool, executive floor lounge for afternoon drinks and breakfast (currently closed, I think). I always stay on a high floor on the side with view of the Mahanakhon tower.

That’s the one thing I dislike about the Raya, not only no view but the windows are tiny. Once they put me in a room 1 floor beneath reception and it was quite dreadful. I think it was under a steam room or something. Quite dark and dank. All other times I was on an upper floor, that was ok.

+1

Amara also offers ample western cable channels and compact gym

Edited by reader

I prefer the Amara and have just booked three night there in September.  It's about a five minute walk from the New Twilight Male bar and five more from Moonlight, Hot Male, DreamBoys etc.  The Raya once steps from Twilight is now next to a construction site.  It hasn't moved just the developers have moved in on Twilight.

If debating between the two, recommend a @vinapusolution...a few nights at each.  My version of this is Amara to start, then Pattaya for a few nights, then back to Bangkok with a stay at the new Quarter Silom hotel.

Depends on your plans. Raja has the advantage you can take boys without passing front of reception but I really enjoyed Amara small but great-view rooftop pool and the breakfast was really good (not sure if they have it now). Well, this is what I did: took my bf to Amara and used Raja when offing bar boys.

For me, the Raya is so close distance to the boy bars, nice bathroom set up, comfortable bed, decent room size and total privacy because you could bypass the reception when you take boys to your room.  Deluxe room is one step up, not the lowest room type at Raya.  However, everything else is normal and nothing to do in the building.  

Amara is about 8 minutes walk to boy bars (google map) which is fine because I love to walk (jogging) and see people or business on the way.  They also seem to be ok with joiner but you may have your boy to check in with the reception so it could be a minus (i am a shy type of guy) or plus (added security for my safety).  Deluxe room is the cheapest room at Amara and I don't know how big or how comfortable the room is at Amara compared to The Raya.  Maybe somebody who has stayed in both hotels will chime in to let us know.  The big plus for Amara is the infinity rooftop pool which I read several compliments in online reviews.  

What else am I missing?

Stayed in Amara many times and absolutely no problem with bringing someone back with you. Neither did I have any problem at Raya. You don't have to check in with reception at either location.

I found rooms at both hotels comfortable but, as Jimmy Joe pointed out, Amara is much newer property. Rooms and very well appointed and very well maintained.

Amara has very good restaurant.

Cheapest rooms are of the same size in both but for a few dollars more one can have Grand Deluxe in Raya which us spacious indeed.

Raya is bit closer to BTS and shopping.

Amara looks and feels more upscale.

For the same price I'd split  my time between both   otherwise cheaper option were my choice

On 7/30/2022 at 8:28 PM, TomNg said:

Maybe somebody who has stayed in both hotels will chime in to let us know. 

If you could wait for 90 more days.....

So far, I have stayed at Raya only. The thing I like the most about Raya is its location - just a few steps away from my favorite bar, moonlight. Secondly, I like Raya's grand deluxe rooms specifically for their space. Unless your room is on the 5th floor where their reception is, you wont need to worry about being seen with your guest(s). 

I dont like their rooms on the 8th floor since they could be very hot during the daytime.
AC in at least grand deluxe rooms are hitting directly your face/head if lying in bed. 
they dont have gym/pool or any exercise area. So i had no other choice .. but there was only one way to utilize all my calories gained from good thai food - gymnastics in my bed!

On my most recent visits, I have noticed that Raya is in need of some improvements. their towels and furniture in the rooms need replacements.
i was told that the phone in my room was not connected even for local calls. 
So, I am trying Amara on my next visit in 90 days. 

Anyone stayed in Raya recently and know whether they are still making guests take the tradesman/freight elevator at night?

It put me off staying there completely on my last visit in Jan, they were doing work at time, but have read since that they have kept the practise up 

13 hours ago, colmx said:

Anyone stayed in Raya recently and know whether they are still making guests take the tradesman/freight elevator at night?

I was there in April so not super recent. The elevator in the car park was not at all bad at night. There was a security guy "on duty" but he didn't even look up when I brought a guy back.

I was there last month. I was never directed to the service elevator, though I had previously read reports about that and was conscious of the possibility. However, I should add that the latest that I went back to Raya Hotel was probably around 11:30pm, at which hour I still used the front entrance and guest elevators. Perhaps those reports referred to the wee hours of the morning?

Then again, nowhere did I see any signs put up by the hotel to alert guests that a detour might be required at some time in the night. So maybe it's no longer the case?

By the way, my review of Raya was uploaded yesterday on my blog. https://shamelessmacktwo.travel.blog/2022/08/02/the-sequestered-fridge/

there are two quite new hotels in the area worth a try: ibis styles silom (silom opposite to soi 6) and the quarter silom by UHG just opposite of the prime massage in silom soi 6. both reasonably prices and nice from what i saw and heard from friends.
personally i stayed in another very nice, cheap, new hotel called "the cotton saladaeng" at sathorn soi 2 (2 min from so/ sofitel). i can recommend it, no problem bringing guests into your room :).

a bit off topic, concerning partying: as clubs (GOD) must close at 3, there are 2 small, speakeasy-style after parties at "the kitchen" (krua restaurant in silom) and banana club (soi 4). go there, to the back or upstairs and you will be surprised how much is still going on :D. i enjoyed it a lot the last 2 weeks!