Sky

Medellin Gay Murders

As of April there were 6 gay men murdered per the article below:

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2022/04/04/six-lgbtq-men-killed-in-medellin-since-beginning-of-year/

There’s a reference to a possible serial killer in the article.

Does anyone know of updated information? 

• Members

Sadly the murders remain unsolved. The count is now at 10 men and likely to climb.  The deaths are remarkably similar in the state the bodies were found, and it is believed that one man escaped a deadly situation with the possible serial killer. The Medellin police are very reticent to call these serial murders publicly.

El Tiempo, the Colombian national newspaper is covering the story. However it is only available in Spanish.  You can read one article per month or subscribe for 7000COP monthly (about $1.50USD currently).

Here is the most recent article that I could find from 5 June 2022. There was another suspected murder in early July and there is concern over the Feria de las flores next week with so many events and gatherings taking place across the city.

https://www.eltiempo.com/colombia/medellin/medellin-sigue-la-zozobra-por-muertes-de-poblacion-lgbti-677873

• Members
1 hour ago, macdaddi said:

Sadly the murders remain unsolved. The count is now at 10 men and likely to climb.  The deaths are remarkably similar in the state the bodies were found, and it is believed that one man escaped a deadly situation with the possible serial killer. The Medellin police are very reticent to call these serial murders publicly.

Chatting with a friend in Bogotá today and there was another victim last week. That puts the count at 11. Sadly this victim was known to several his close friends in Medellín.

Of note -- all of the men are believed to have "met" the killer through hookup Apps -- but there are inconsistencies as to which App was used. Food for thought.

Thank you for the updates above, and the link to local media. Clearly of great concern. 11 murders to date is shocking!
Many discussion threads recommend the App’s for meetings. 

Until the perpetrator (s) is/are caught no one is safe. 

I trust all forum readers are being “careful” with a highly dangerous situation. 

On 8/2/2022 at 2:31 AM, Sky said:

Many discussion threads recommend the App’s for meetings

The “apps” in general are not safe, whether at home or abroad.  Increasingly, they are being used to target & rob the victim.  More often than not, these crimes go unreported because the victim in embarrassed.  Especially common w older gringo tourists in developing countries as the perpetrators know the tourist will be leaving and won’t follow through to press charges.  The real danger to the apps is there is no way to verify these people to know the intent.  Maybe you’ve beaten the odds thus far and has good luck, but this is a thing.

That’s why I like to stick to paid encounters from sites where it’s clear there is a transaction.  And I only hire those that can be verified through Instagram, Twitter, OnlyFans or similar. Maybe overly cautious on my part, but have never had any sort of problem at home or abroad. 

When hot young locals are hitting up the over 50 set - they’re looking for something. And it’s likely not my sparkling personality - at least in Latin America and Europe, maybe Thailand is different.  Easy to become infatuated w the idea that they really want me for me,  but realistically hardly ever the case.

6 hours ago, Slvkguy said:

When hot young locals are hitting up the over 50 set - they’re looking for something. And it’s likely not my sparkling personality - at least in Latin America and Europe, maybe Thailand is different.  Easy to become infatuated w the idea that they really want me for me,  but realistically hardly ever the case.

Well said. Agree 100% and Thailand no different, I’m there now. The only exception is the rare daddy fetish.

Latin American is dangerous generally speaking, and not for a rookie.

Now tragically there is a rash of murders. 

Quote regarding danger in S Am:

Latin America: murders of trans & gender-diverse people 2008-2020

Published by Statista Research Department, May 24, 2022
 According to the source, 3,157 trans and gender-diverse people were reported murdered in Latin America and the Caribbean between January 2008 and September 2021, making it the deadliest region of the word for this community. As of September 2018, a total of 219 murders had been reported in the region. Between 2011 and 2020, the number of murders stood above 200 every year.

• Members

El Espectador is the largest newspaper in Medellín. Today they published an article that makes the case for 15 victims since the start of the year (Tweet below).

The government and police have not agreed to classify these homicides as hate crimes. There is a lot of attention surrounding these cases as the city fills up with visitors for the Feria de las flores, the most important event of the year in Medellín.  The link to the article referenced in the Tweet is here https://www.elespectador.com/colombia/los-peligros-de-grindr-y-lo-que-dice-la-ciencia/

Unfortunately El Espectador remains largely a printed paper, so the website contains only an extract of the full article.

Medellin.png

Please see original post, as the link posted states in par 2 that first victim found in hotel bathtub.

Other victims were found in their apartments. Many but not all apartments will have “security”.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:29 PM, Sky said:

Latin American is dangerous generally speaking, and not for a rookie.

I don’t think this statement is overly broad - if the context is older gringos using hookup apps to meet young locals.  

Keep in mind that only 4% of Grindr users are over 55.  So, if you are over 55 and a gringo in a developing country who doesn’t speak the language fluently - you’ll stick out like a sore thumb to potential bad guys.  And if you are looking for “free” hookups w younger locals and inviting them to places without proper security (and the locals will know), then you’ve just identified yourself as an easy target for robbery or worse.

I think many tourists fail to realize that older gringos (meaning any older foreign person, not a local) will appear rich to the locals and many of those locals are desperate.  They know the gringos travel w electronics, cash & credit cards.  When traveling to developing countries, older gringos are targets & vulnerable.  It’s just that simple.

This doesn’t mean don’t use the apps.  It does mean take a few extra precautions. There are some easy things that can be done to weed out the bad guys & enhance your personal safety:

1. Always tell new acquaintances that you are traveling w friends and they are staying at same hotel or in same building if AirBnB. Never let on you’re traveling solo 

2. Never tell anyone how long you’re staying or actual date of departure 

3. Always tell the person that they must be ready to present ID at reception or security to be allowed into guest areas

4. Make sure to meet the person in a public place where you both will be seen (preferably in hotel lobby) - never have them come directly to your room. Don’t provide a room number or apartment number if asked.

5. Lock electronics, cash, documents in the safe before they arrive (only stay at places that provide a working safe - that’s basic)

6. Don’t be under influence of alcohol or drugs when making hiring decisions 

7. Go with your gut - if anything seems off or the person has pushback on anything, then don’t do it

8. if saunas are an option to meet guys - go there and save the time/ trouble and be safe.  That’s exactly why the saunas exist.

Dont be embarrassed about hotel staff seeing you meet a guy in the lobby.  The hotels in destinations discussed here have seen it all and they will not be surprised.  They may be subjective in who they allow in and who they won’t.  If your guest appears to fit in the environment and nothing looks off to hotel staff, then no problem.  If for some reason, your guest raises some red flags, then they’re not getting in. 
Remember  - the primary responsibility of hotel staff and any building security is to protect you and the OTHER guests/residents. 

I like to meet guys in the hotel bar for a drink.  I take that time to fully check them out, before taking them up to my room.  If anything looks off, then I’m prepared to offer them half of the fee to just cancel & leave.  I can’t ever remember a time when that’s happened only because I go to great effort to weed them out before it gets to that point.  

As I’ve said in other posts - I prefer to hire so there’s a clear & defined transaction and I verify those guys on social media before agreeing to hire. There’s way too many hot guys that are easy to verify to risk hiring some unknown person.  But, if your thing is the apps, then there are ways to modify the hunt, without too much inconvenience that will greatly enhance personal safety.

Be smart and be safe

Thank you Slvkguy, your 8 pointers are excellent and on topic, and wise from experience.

That list of 8 should be pinned if not already so.

The goal here is to make aware and warn tourists as to the current situation. It’s not about drama or trying to scare anyone.

Some visitors  may get 100 hits from an app and believe they’re in a paradise free of danger or risk.

If it saves one life it’s accomplished something. I say enjoy and be careful!

• Members
On 8/4/2022 at 7:09 PM, 12is12 said:

Macdaddi, do u know if they were murdered in hotels?

From what I have read from the articles and from amigos in Colombia, there are some patterns. But the information is incomplete as many of the murder details are not public at this time.  What I have noted is (not an expert in crime)

- only one victim was found in a hotel (where he worked, not in a guest room)

- most of the victims (again, publicly-shared) were in their own homes or apartments in Medellín

- the age range of the known, publicly-shared victims are in the age range of 25 - 34

However, I MUST INSIST that this should give NO ONE should be thinking that he-she-it is safe from being a potential victim here. There are patterns here HOWEVER the police and the Alcadia have released so few details (hence the journalism references) that one should be on 100% surveillance for potential threats. Full stop. 

Please be careful about hookups in Medellín until this is resolved. Be cautious, ask friends or the reception to check in. Let people know your situation and be hyper vigilant about who you allow into your personal space.

• Members
10 hours ago, macdaddi said:

From what I have read from the articles and from amigos in Colombia, there are some patterns. But the information is incomplete as many of the murder details are not public at this time.  What I have noted is (not an expert in crime)

- only one victim was found in a hotel (where he worked, not in a guest room)

- most of the victims (again, publicly-shared) were in their own homes or apartments in Medellín

- the age range of the known, publicly-shared victims are in the age range of 25 - 34

However, I MUST INSIST that this should give NO ONE should be thinking that he-she-it is safe from being a potential victim here. There are patterns here HOWEVER the police and the Alcadia have released so few details (hence the journalism references) that one should be on 100% surveillance for potential threats. Full stop. 

Please be careful about hookups in Medellín until this is resolved. Be cautious, ask friends or the reception to check in. Let people know your situation and be hyper vigilant about who you allow into your personal space.

I do not have time or interest on going back to research on this topic. However, I was of course very interested last April when I was visiting Medayork. Back then I had learned about 6 homicides and more than one in an hotel. I wrote the following in my traveling log:

"Last evening, before I turned them off, the hook up apps were driving me crazy, out of temptation. It is amazing the number of attractive young men into older guys, without any transactions. Unfortunately, I have been studying the series of homicides of gay men in the city (6 so far, the last one about 2 weeks ago), and the modus operandi is concerning. For instance, one of the things that usually would make me feel safe is when the guys are not insistent. Well, apparently the 6 cases looked like regular hook ups, the killer/s did not harass their victims at all. The victims were all single men living alone or who met in an hotel, and they all were tortured and murdered before being robbed. I learned a Spanish word that I had never seen before: sevicia. You can look for it. Initially, the killers’ cruelty (so far there are two suspects detained, but 4 murderers are still unresolved) made the police detectives think of homophobic serial killers, but now they think they are dealing with homosexual homicides who know when the victim is in his most vulnerable moment to kill him."

• Members
15 hours ago, macdaddi said:

- only one victim was found in a hotel (where he worked, not in a guest room)

- most of the victims (again, publicly-shared) were in their own homes or apartments in Medellín

Hotels have front desks and some have security guards.  Plus surveillance video cameras.  At the minimum,  these are some layers of security. 

• Members
30 minutes ago, scott456 said:

Hotels have front desks and some have security guards.  Plus surveillance video cameras.  At the minimum,  these are some layers of security. 

There were homicides also in hotels.

When I was researching the topic back in April, I remember that fact to be one of the most shocking characteristics of thee cases. The other shocking aspect is that the killers seemed to be playing sexually until getting the victims with their defenses totally down. In these cases the police do not want to share much details for obvious reasons, but the language used would make you think that the victims were actually engaged in sexual interaction when they were attacked, immobilized, tortured, and killed.