Olddaddy

Flying Business, economy or first class

The last few months of traveling I took several flights, Philippines airlines,and Cebu Pacific, 

To me seating is very important,I can't travel for more than a few hours without feeling cramped so have to end up flying Business class most times I'm 98kg so not overly heavy 

A few weeks ago I done the most stupid thing,I booked a flight from Manila city  to a city in the south of the Philippines called General Santos City,it's a 1 hour flight so I looked online and booked what I thought were great seats !

As soon as I got on Cebu Pacific flight , yep , I thought this is great the 3 seats right up the front of the plane were to myself,I looked back in the plane to see other seats all crowded 😳 little did I know ,the toilets were right next to my seats !!!😳So every few minutes someone would walk the aisle right in front of my seat nearly trampling on my feet to get past to the toilet, I ended up without asking moving seats ,never book the very front of the plane seats guys if you see a toilet right next to it ,I soon learnt.

As for economy I travelled Bangkok to Manila, Philippines airlines economy seats 70k aisle seat ,which is also near the toilets, 3 seater  I had the aisle seat, a large Filipino who looked more Hawaiian/islander sat next to me and kept pushing me, a baby in the next seat crying and wailing for the 3.5 hour flight ,the second economy flight I took, Manila to Bangkok I bring headphones 😃

I looked up ahead in the aisle to see a very very large old farang in the aisle seat with half his body out into the aisle, I heard the staff pushing the trolley up the aisle keep saying excuse me to him,how embarrassing for him😳

People lined up stretching past my economy seat 70k  seat for the toilets, breathing & coughing over me standing above me 

A few days ago I flew Philippines airlines Manila to Sydney seat 3K  in Business class,the whole seat to myself flat down bed , great food, and that 8 hour flight went so quick , I could never never travel 8 hours in economy,

Business lounge Louis at Bangkok airport was great ,a large separate dining area with relatively great food , free wifi,great coffee 

When I got to the outdated ninoy Aquino airport in Manila went to the crowded business lounge there wasn't the best but ok to sit for the 4 hour transit ,it seems it's the only business lounge in the airport which became crowded very quickly 

Manila airport looks like the old Don meung in Bangkok only more outdated,small dark , they really need to build a modern airport 

But I'm very stingy sometimes and don't like to spend money so just for the 3 hour flight I probably will still fly economy and sit with all the baby's crying and people listening to YouTube loudly etc 😅😅

Anyone here flown first class though ,I noticed Philippines airlines has no first class now 

On another note Philippines airlines now I noticed have "Premium economy," I noticed this was in front of normal economy class area ,I flew Business so no idea about it ,but I looked back when the curtain was open it seems the seats are bigger ,so you guys on the larger side may consider that instead of normal economy 

Just on that, you guys who are on the larger size just like me,do you still fly economy ? 

I actually feel empathy for the farangs I saw who were very large sitting in economy,I'm 98kg myself so I even found it difficult cramped for the 3 hours so if that farang I saw was I would say 150kg plus just imagine that flight for him.

I actually feel empathy for the farangs I saw who were very large sitting in economy,I'm 98kg myself so I even found it difficult cramped for the 3 hours so if that farang I saw was I would say 150kg plus just imagine that flight for him.

There is another angle to this, pity the poor normal sized person in economy sitting next to the overweight guy.

I am 78kg and a couple of times had this on long distance flights, it was not a happy experience.

After a few years break from visiting Thailand I will be treating myself to business class on my next trip despite the price, although tall I have had no problems fitting into economy but the 7hr flight in economy seats is close to my limit. When I was in Indonesia I flew business class everytime on Thai airways and really loved it, the fights from Bali were only about four and a half hours but it was nice to be up the front away from the crowed economy section. 

14 hours ago, TMax said:

After a few years break from visiting Thailand I will be treating myself to business class on my next trip despite the price, although tall I have had no problems fitting into economy but the 7hr flight in economy seats is close to my limit. When I was in Indonesia I flew business class everytime on Thai airways and really loved it, the fights from Bali were only about four and a half hours but it was nice to be up the front away from the crowed economy section. 

3 hours ago, neyger said:

I'm thin but tall (1m85 / 6'1), fly +- 180h a year and always book economy.  I simply prefer to spend my money on other things than on luxury during the flight, although I certainly understand why people book business once you have experienced it. 

• I have my routine and try (and mostly manage) to sleep on every flight, even if it's just a short one hour haul.
  • I bought custom made earplugs, comfortable and they block all the noise when you try to sleep. 
  • I love my noise canceling headphones. I've got the sony mx1000m4 and couldn't miss them on a flight. Lately I often fell asleep with those headphones on and my earplugs still in my bag.
  • I always pick a seat at the back of the plane (a bigger chance on an empty seat next to you)  and select an aisle seat in the middle part (only one person can ask you to stand up when he/she needs to go the bathroom).  
  • On long haul flights with a 3-4-3 layout, it often narrows to a 3-3-3 layout. My favorite seat (and I do pay extra for seat selection if necessary) is at the left side of the second row of 3 seats in the middle. (see screenshot, the green spot). You can stretch your legs, nobody bumps into you and even that bathroom was closed on my latest flights (people tend to go anyway to the bathoom that they can see).
  • As other posters mentioned, always check seatguru. 
  • I never watch movies, they keep me awake, but I do use an e-reader (makes me sleepy).
  • I used to take a sleeping pill before flying, but that made me dizzy. Now I just drink one whisky at the start of the flight.  
  • I use a pillow similar to this one: https://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-STTARLUK-Airplane-Comfortably-Supports/dp/B093HD2RK7  It's bulky, but comfy and I can even read an e-book in sleeping position. An added advantage is that it seems to refrain people to ask me to stand up if they want to go to the bathroom.
  • I do buy a last minute business class upgrade if the price is right. On one of my latest air france flights, I had a business class upgrade on both legs of a 11h flight for less than 400€ in total.
  • If the flight is delayed, I always ask for a free lounge voucher (and often get one). If you don't ask, you get nothing.. 

image.png.404b7e05207abb634a1dae2d72809a69.png

Problem with that green seat , is they line up for the toilets hovering over you 

I was in seat  which is just opposite you,I look up from my aisle seat they are all lined up for the toilet standing over me , for now on anywhere near toilets for me is a no go .

People I found out are fascinated by  toilets even on a 1 hour flight .

I can't do economy. I'm large and tall. What I have found is airlines that have business class for reasonable prices. For example, I have booked a few times on Hainan Airlines from Bangkok to Chicago and the business class fares were right at 2k USD. That was almost the same as the economy or premium economy on AA or Delta. I liked the airline and the service was fine. It was not as luxurious as Singapore or other airlines but the seat was fully lay back and comfortable.

PeterRS's comment about JAL's economy class food interests me because the last thing on my mind when I upgrade to business is the food. I am totally  incapable of  enjoying it on the flight, preferring to eat prior to departure. As for drink...well, EVA's Business had a splendid wine list on Tuesday and yet the best I could manage was one small glass.

EVA no longer have First Class but, many years ago when it was still available on the old 747s, I was "double upgraded" and found myself one of six (?) passengers in First on a BKK-LHR flight.

The food and the wine was of luxurious quality, chosen  to include the most expensive items available, such as pate de fois gras and caviar. I managed to eat very little of it . And, incidentally no doubt, I suffered stomach pains the next day which have never occurred before or since. Even on Easyjet. I put it down to divine retribution for mixing with the wrong company.

For what it's worth, I travelled on Scoot in their 'scoot plus' section which is I guess their version of business class, but considering it is a low cost carrier, much less luxurious than a business class on a full service carrier. Comparable to premium economy I guess. Whilst I luckily don't need to take a long haul flight to get to Thailand, and don't really need the extra leg room (as I am smaller in stature), it was sure nice sitting up the front of the plane! And for some reason, I don't know whether there was a glitch in the system, or some promotion, but at the time that I booked the ticket, the scoot plus fare was actually cheaper than the regular economy fare.. lucky me!

Like Neyger and Vinapu, I travel at the back of the plane for leisure. I used to fly business class quite a bit but those were the days when others (company) paid the fare. I can appreciate the difference in service, but for me it all seems quite unnecessary. I'd rather spend the money on other things that are more important to me.

It all seems quite unnecessary to me because I am lucky in a way. I am below average in height and I am able to keep my body mass index (BMI) under 25. So, an economy seat is OK for me. A premium economy would be plenty. One of the few blessings in life from being small-built.

Other aspects discussed here are also unimportant to me.

- Business class lounges? I don't want to sit while waiting to sit in the plane for the next several hours. I prefer to walk/explore the terminal, get some exercise while I can.

- Nice food? I want to stay away from temptation to maintain my BMI. There's also the risk of bloating when air pressure is reduced at altitude, making sleep harder.

- Drinks? Never really acquired a taste for that. I am no connoisseur of fine wines.

A flatbed would be nice, I agree, but then I am able to sleep in a seat. I don't even own noise-cancellation earphones like Neyger. I have considered buying one, but my normal (wellpadded) earphones muffle cabin noise to a significant degree, and so far, they're good enough to help me sleep.

Neyger's inflatable thing - I really don't know what to call it - is intriguing, but here's my question: How much huffing and puffing will it need to get inflated? In any case, I'm not sure that I would want to carry one more thing when my simple inflatable pillow seems good enough.

Living in Bangkok and with family in Europe, my only long hauls now are an annual 11-12 hour trip between the two. I would no longer dream of flying economy as long as I have ways of obtaining a business class seat. Besides, I need little to spend on at either end. Unlike @macaroni21 I enjoy the food and alcohol served nearer the front of the plane - but only if I am hungry and it is near a regular meal time. It's one reson I enjoy Qatar Airlines. Apart from the privacy of the Q suites, they serve your selection for the meals when you want them. I can't think of one meal which has been anything other than extremely good. While I don't drink much on a plane, QR's wine selection is particularly fine and I will usually enjoy a couple of glasses.

Veering off topic slightly, on one first class round-the-world trip (my travel agent had alerted me to the fact that instead of the business class ticket I had reserved on CX, BA and AA, he could get me on first class if I switched to SQ, Swissair and Delta at the same price). That meant a couple of detours but I had no hesitation in changing. From London to New York, I had to fly Swissair to Zurich and pick up the late morning MD11 flight to JFK. It was one of the first aircraft to have installed video on demand. Lunch was superb and I enjoyed a movie as I dined. Two weeks later, that very same aircraft crashed into the Atlantic off Halifax just six miles from shore on the return to Switzerland. That accident resulted from a fire just behind the cockpit which had started in the wiring for the new video on demand system. Could the fire have started on my flight, I have often wondered?

I wonder how many others have had a similar sort of near miss?

12 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Like Neyger and Vinapu, I travel at the back of the plane for leisure. I used to fly business class quite a bit but those were the days when others (company) paid the fare. I can appreciate the difference in service, but for me it all seems quite unnecessary. I'd rather spend the money on other things that are more important to me.

It all seems quite unnecessary to me because I am lucky in a way. I am below average in height and I am able to keep my body mass index (BMI) under 25. So, an economy seat is OK for me. A premium economy would be plenty. One of the few blessings in life from being small-built.

Other aspects discussed here are also unimportant to me.

- Business class lounges? I don't want to sit while waiting to sit in the plane for the next several hours. I prefer to walk/explore the terminal, get some exercise while I can.

- Nice food? I want to stay away from temptation to maintain my BMI. There's also the risk of bloating when air pressure is reduced at altitude, making sleep harder.

- Drinks? Never really acquired a taste for that. I am no connoisseur of fine wines.

A flatbed would be nice, I agree, but then I am able to sleep in a seat. I don't even own noise-cancellation earphones like Neyger. I have considered buying one, but my normal (wellpadded) earphones muffle cabin noise to a significant degree, and so far, they're good enough to help me sleep.

Neyger's inflatable thing - I really don't know what to call it - is intriguing, but here's my question: How much huffing and puffing will it need to get inflated? In any case, I'm not sure that I would want to carry one more thing when my simple inflatable pillow seems good enough

Don't take it the wrong way but you sound like me sometimes 😃,Im sometimes a cheap Charlie too ,but I weak when it comes to comfort,I just can't sit in economy so long ! 

For clothes & things I just buy non brand name ,I'm not into expensive brands but for transport I hate discomfort,and I'm impatient so have to spend more in better class and taxis instead of buses . 

I think Macaroni you also wrote in a previous post you always take the baht bus for 10 baht up to Pattaya rather than use the Grab taxi , 😅,I love it !!!🤣🤣

1 hour ago, scott456 said:

It's all about money.  There are people flying private jets.  Is it necessary?  No, beyond basic food and shelter, nothing is necessary.  But people with different levels of wealth do different things, that's what we call "classes":  First class, business class, economy class".

Sure , and I seen this a few weeks ago flying economy from Manila to Bangkok, a very obese elderly farang sat in the aisle seat in front of me,next to another farang and his Filipino GF.

I heard him say to the couple in a Australian accent that he was very sorry but couldn't afford to fly business class.

I did feel very sorry for him as part of his body was sticking out into the aisle and the air hostess pushing the trolley up & down the aisle were very rude to him,"excuse me!! Excuse me! ,,they would shout everytime to get pass.

1 hour ago, vinapu said:

I must be old dated but since when

" excuse me "is rude ?

I think the exclamation mark indicates that it is.

Like others here, I have always flown business class because I wasn't paying. 

When I was a child and dad was transferred to Asia, mum and I always got special treatment because of dad's job. There wasn't any business class in those days, but we were usually seated away from others, or at least did not have anyone sitting next to us. And I was given all the icecream I wanted!

The nature of my job also meant that I got to travel business class but that stopped  after I retired. But once you get used to something nice it's hard to downgrade, especially on a long - haul flight. From Perth just about everywhere is long-haul! If I had to go economy I'd probably just not go.

The best business class is Emirates Imho, but I'm also waiting to try Qatar's Q suite. I'm not a large person and really don't need a big seat but I do appreciate being able to lie down on a bed and sleep most of the way. 

I'm not particularly interested in the food as I'm very fussy about what I eat and often  I can't find an entree or a main course. But I can always visit the bar at the back of the plane and find something to eat. In any case, I usually enjoy the food in the lounge rather rush what is served on the plane. The lounges in Dubai are awesome - I can always find something delicious to eat. I'm not a drinker so I'll just have a few glasses of champagne. Red wine tastes like vinegar to me.

I would never fly first class as it doesn't offer value for money. I don't eat caviar or foie-gras and can't really tell the difference between Moêt and vintage Dom. On Emirates the first class seat is pretty much the same as the business seat anyway - just a little shelf with lights under the TV and a few extra creams and lotions for parts of the body I didn't even know existed! 

What airline has the bar upstairs?

Is that Emirates ?

There is unfortunately only one business lounge at Manila airport which gets crowded .

I flew Philippines airlines business class and had the overnight flight so had the sleeper bed.

They serve a meal to you with choice of drinks about an hour after take off then an hour later turn off the lights ,I slept about 5  hours out of a 8 hour flight.