Olddaddy

Flying Business, economy or first class

2 hours ago, vinapu said:

I must be old dated but since when

" excuse me "is rude ?

Just like in many couples’ arguments, most of the time, it’s not what you say, but how you say it… Although, there are some phrases that have alternate meanings, i.e. “please advise” in a business email could mean “WTF” or, in the South (US), “bless your heart” could be a socially acceptable version of “f**k you”

24 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

What airline has the bar upstairs?

Quite a few airlines used to feature bars but it seems to me that they moved away from this practice. In my most recent trips, I only encountered them a couple of times. However, my knowledge is rather limited: if I recall it correctly, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines, and South African Airways are the only non-European or North American carriers I’ve traveled on.

48 minutes ago, alvnv said:

if I recall it correctly, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines, and South African Airways are the only non-European..... I’ve traveled on.

Tell Turks thay are not European, better make sure you wear helmet and bulletproof

The fact that they invaded and made a home of a part of the South-Eastern Europe almost 600 years ago does not make them European. I don’t want to get into the definition of European right now, because that would be a lengthy conversation. Undisputedly, they are mixed with Europeans, which is evidenced by their appearance (at least, some of them). However, non-native denizens of North American countries do not claim to be Native American. We don’t consider Northern Africans as Europeans either, even though they were part of the Roman Empire; Spaniards did not become Africans during  almost 8 centuries of Reconquista. Besides, ain’t nothin’ wrong with being an Asian - this forum is full of Asian-lovers 😉

9 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Is that Emirates ?

Yes. Upstairs is all business and first class on Emirates.

Business class varies greatly from airline to airline so you have to choose carefully.

For example, I found Lufthansa disappointing and BA has a terrible reputation. Qantas is nothing special, either. Go for an Asian or Middle Eastern airline if you can.

I always fly Cathay Pacific when I go to Japan. I am cocooned in my own little pod by the window, well away from other passengers. They have 2 business class cabins and I sit in the quiet one at the back with fewer seats. And the lounge in Hong Kong is more than adequate for what I want.

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

But descendants of first Virginia settlers are no doubt AMERICANS, no ? 

No, they neither claim nor are considered Native Americans, or First Nations. As for the term American, even though it’s widely used to refer to US citizens, technically, describes the citizens of both continents of North and South Americas

11 hours ago, a-447 said:

Yes. Upstairs is all business and first class on Emirates.

Business class varies greatly from airline to airline so you have to choose carefully.

For example, I found Lufthansa disappointing and BA has a terrible reputation. Qantas is nothing special, either. Go for an Asian or Middle Eastern airline if you can.

I always fly Cathay Pacific when I go to Japan. I am cocooned in my own little pod by the window, well away from other passengers. They have 2 business class cabins and I sit in the quiet one at the back with fewer seats. And the lounge in Hong Kong is more than adequate for what I want.

As a rule, when the airplane has both, first and business classes, the latter is worse than business class cabins where first class is not offered.

Those airlines who offer a poor business class experience should remember that it is those who sit at the front of the aircraft who subsidise economy class passengers, thereby making the airline profitable.

Ninety percent of profits come from business class with airlines often earning less than $20 from each economy class passenger.

I am 6'3; thus I need "leg room."  For the past ten years, all of my international and long distance flights have entailed my having to travel first or business class.  Ah, for the comfort and for my legs.  I've gone through brokers or discounters in obtaining my seats and have save some $$$'s in my doing this.  The amenities and lounges and professional service have also been quite appreciated.  

My being comfortable is number 1 when it comes to my long distance travel: domestic as well as international.

I've changed my trip plans to align my time in Bangkok with the visits of some other forum members.  I am now booked round trip on Eva with a stop on Taipel in each direction.  It is the fastest way by several hours to transit the Pacific.  M original booking wasn't on Eva as a 48 hour covid test was required for transit passengers.  That requirement was dropped as of July 14th.  

I will be going economy using 84,000 miles/points  for the round trip.  That prices the trip at approximately  $1,100 based on a value of 1.3 cents per mile/point

On 8/7/2022 at 12:24 AM, Olddaddy said:

Is that Emirates?

Yes. And it is not only premium alcohol brands. It offers substantial snacks for those who don't want a meal. Qatar also has a bar at the back of its A380 biz class. But it is smaller, not as good and there is economy seating behind it. Emirates only has the galley behind its bar. This is the Emirates window seat in the upright position.

Emrates_A380_Biz_Seat.thumb.jpeg.91f9562548a481cac0cad674b07b4eb8.jpeg

And part of the bar at the back

EKBiz5.thumb.jpg.8ad43604a8318625105510cc2183940d.jpg

EKBiz4.thumb.jpg.26d382b5c0ab408f9e11129e317a881d.jpg

- and this the window side Q suite layout on Qatar's 777s.

QR_Suite2.thumb.jpeg.3e9308ad6b897fce922096b737aa0ab8.jpeg

I find the Emirates window seats just as good as QR's Q suites if you take a Q suite backward facing window seat. One plus is QR offering four main courses for most of its long-haul flights and then serving meals at the time of your choosing. Unlike Emirates which plonks most of the meal on one tray, QR serves course by course.

36 minutes ago, scott456 said:

I was very impressed by Qatar's flight attendants.  They are so humble, gentle, attention to detail.

Do they serve alcohol on Qatar?

3 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Do they serve alcohol on Qatar?

Almost every type and all premium brands. As good is their champagne, wine and dessert wine selection. The airport at Doha has a large duty free alcohol section but I have never checked prices. The Doha business class lounge is huge with three restaurants and other casual eateries. Again virtually all types of alcohol are served.

4 hours ago, scott456 said:

I was very impressed by Qatar's flight attendants.  They are so humble, gentle, attention to detail.

Yes same as Thai airways Flight attendants and Singapore they were nice .❤️

Worst ones for me were Malaysian Airlines and British Airways , some older nasty women, 😠but I do understand it must be a very difficult job dealing with some people having to "act" nice especially to rude passengers ,I could never do it 😅 I probably end up getting fired the first day!😂

• Members

My last flight with Thai Airway was in 2019. BKK to Frankfurt business class on a very old/worn A350 plane, dirty/soiled/worn seats. Awful food: beef steak meat quality was bad, salmon fish was dry and overcooked.  They have Thai main course, but I am not a fan of Thai food.  Anyway,  my biggest complaint was the dirty seat.  FA was just OK.  I will avoid TG if I can find alternatives.

14 minutes ago, Will7272 said:

I’m lucky to fly business from Australia with qantas most of the time. Always good service and food. 

Qantas airways have always been more expensive from Sydney to BKK  than the Asian airlines,I just flew Business class with Philippines airlines $2899 compared to Qantas $5409

The comforts of sitting 'up front' are really nice, but I get from point A to B just as fast in an economy aisle seat for a thousand bucks less. 

But I spend maybe half of that by going a day early, find a gorgeous, comfy 5* hotel, have a great relaxing massage, an exquisite meal in a Michelin starred restaurant and then sleep off my jet lag for 10-12 hours.  The other half I then use for half a dozen offs during the week.  

In MY mind I come out way ahead.  

1 hour ago, bucky13 said:

The comforts of sitting 'up front' are really nice, but I get from point A to B just as fast in an economy aisle seat for a thousand bucks less. 

But I spend maybe half of that by going a day early, find a gorgeous, comfy 5* hotel, have a great relaxing massage, an exquisite meal in a Michelin starred restaurant and then sleep off my jet lag for 10-12 hours.  The other half I then use for half a dozen offs during the week.  

In MY mind I come out way ahead.  

Sounds good until you have sit in a small cramped seat for 12 hours😂