Olddaddy

Flying Business, economy or first class

• Members
5 hours ago, bucky13 said:

The comforts of sitting 'up front' are really nice, but I get from point A to B just as fast in an economy aisle seat for a thousand bucks less. 

But I spend maybe half of that by going a day early, find a gorgeous, comfy 5* hotel, have a great relaxing massage, an exquisite meal in a Michelin starred restaurant and then sleep off my jet lag for 10-12 hours.  The other half I then use for half a dozen offs during the week.  

In MY mind I come out way ahead.  

Many of us do all the same 5* hotels, Michelin restaurants,  and a dozen offs as you do.  But, PLUS the business class flight.

There is nothing wrong with flying economy class.  But some people just have the money to pay for ALL the nicer things in life, including business/first class.

47 minutes ago, scott456 said:

some people just have the money to pay for ALL the nicer things in life, including business/first

Doesn't include me ..I'm poor 😭

Just signed up for Phillipines Airlines Mahubay club and surprised when I claimed my missing miles online I had accumulated 22,000 points,enough for a free economy airfare .

I remember years ago joint Krisflyer on Singapore Airlines accumulated a lot of points but couldn't get the annual leave at that time  and they expired one week before I could get my leave😟

At least with mahubay they last 2 years .

Qantas is another one frequent flyer club although I believe it's 80,000 points for a free flight 

On 8/7/2022 at 9:36 AM, a-447 said:

Yes. Upstairs is all business and first class on Emirates.

It was - until about 4 years ago when it converted the upstairs section of some of their A380s. The airline got rid of first class and the front of the business class seating. In their place they have 100 additional economy seats at the front. End result - a capacity of 615 passengers. And it was often totally packed. They used to fly this aircraft on the BKK/HKG route. Not sure what the after covid schedule is like.

• Members
7 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Qantas is another one frequent flyer club although I believe it's 80,000 points for a free flight 

You should be able to get a free flight on a OneWorld partner like BA intra-Europe or AA domestic in US for a lot less than 80k.

On the last few trips, I have flown business class on long haul flights and economy on flights less than couple of hours. I don't think I could fly economy on long haul flights anymore. As it is, I am not able to sleep on the plane (even in biz class) except for dozing off for few minutes during the flight. So whatever little rest I can get on the way is great.

I used to travel in Premium Economy, but found biz class fares on other airlines not much higher, so now choose that. With lounge access, it's really helpful to relax there and eat something light, when the layover in 3-4 hours. That makes it a less tiring trip overall. On board, I also appreciate the service and food choices in biz class.

I used to redeem my Aeroplan points to fly business class - and that's how I got used to flying in biz class. They have now changed their redemption policy and it now takes a lot more miles to get a business class seat. And you are often offered routing that may take up to 30 hours to get to your destination. Oh well, I just have to fork out more money now to travel in biz class. (sigh). But I think it's worth it.

To balance the extra cost in flying..... 
while I do like to stay in decent hotels, I don't go overboard. And I don't spend too much money on food either. Some basic local dishes are fine.... and sometimes just go for KFC or Burger King when I feel the urge to eat fast food!