Olddaddy

Miriam Margoyles

Just watched a ABC documentary on 81yo Lesbian now Australian Miriam Margoyles traveling Australia.

Am I only the only Aussie to just recently hear of her,so funny and crude 🤣

I absolutely love her😊

Love to be with my partner for 56 years like she has ! 

What a incredible relationship, nearly 60 years with one partner, especially in those times where being "out" wasn't accepted.

• Members
2 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Am I only the only Aussie to just recently hear of her,

I believe so @Olddaddy. She’s the great-aunt of a friend of mine. IRL she’s just as crude and salacious…which I find a bit much. It’s as if she is trying deliberately to shock others, rather like an immature teenager running off at the mouth.

I do not get British television and so only knew her from her films, which - as she has a habit of telling everyone she meets - included the performance in the Harry Potter movies as Professor Strout. But I do recall her earlier fine performance in Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence with Daniel Day Lewis.

In Thailand we were able to see her in The Real Marigold Hotel, a series based on the movies of roughly the same name, this time about groups of British pensioners spending 4 weeks somewhere in Asia to see if they would find it suitable for retirement. I know she was in the first of the series when they stayed in Jaipur. A second series titled the Real Marigold Hotel on tour saw her in places like Kyoto, Chengdu, Havana and I believe also St. Petersburg.

She certainly tells it like it is. While her language may sometimes be a little crude, on those TV series she livened up procedings no end when they sometimes began to flag. It is claimed that she was the first person to say "fuck" on British television. That may be true but I always thought it was the acerbic theatre critic and writer known for his sadomasochistic sexual fantasies, Kenneth Tynan. What made that less of a shock and somewhat amusing was that Tynan had a stutter. So 'fuck' came out more as "f-f-f-fuck!"

Interesting, I thought, that the producers of that Marigold Hotel series spent quite a bit of time letting her talk about her life as a lesbian. Yet another of that group in Japur was the equally gay former Royal Ballet dancer and choreogapher, Wayne Sleep. We learned little about his gay life apart from a video phone call to his partner from the Taj Mahal. It was almost as though they wanted viewers to become more aquainted with older lesbians.