joshhb

Recommended tailors

Perry's on Silom, adjacent to Saladaeng BTS, were fine but it was a long time ago. They used to be on the gorund floor but have now moved 'upstairs'. Above Boots if my memory serves me correctly. I also used Nickermann's, beneath the Landmark Hotel on Sukhumvit, and was very happy with the shirts and trousers I had made there. These are both more than 20 years ago.... I seldom wear formal suits and the like since retirement. 

Universal Tailors, 252, 2 Si Lom, Suriya Wong, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand

They did excellent work for me. Very highly rated. Experienced. The only shop I’d use and I’ve tried others.

There are thousands of tailor shops around, Just go and talk to the owner look at the shop and you will see the difference.
Good luck with your suit!

On 8/12/2022 at 3:48 PM, TotallyOz said:

I love Tailor on Ten

I love them too! They are great. Got suits and shirts done there 2 visits ago and shirts on the last visit.

Went to another tailor last time, thinking it would be lot cheaper, based on their ad. They had good reviews. Definitely not as good as Tailor on Ten

On 8/17/2022 at 10:30 PM, sydneyboy1 said:

How long does it take to get a suit made at Tailor on Ten?

About a week. Not sure how busy they are now, but they ask you to set up an appointment before heading off to see them. They are meticulous about their tailoring.

Not sure about prices in Australia, but definitely somewhat cheaper than a custom made quality suit in Canada.

Two of the better known tailors in Bangkok are the Rajawongse Clothier and the Raja Tailor, both on Sukhumvit. Rajawongse dressed every US president from Reagan to Obama and the business cards on the wall of their changing room reads like an international who's who. They also dress most of the US Secret Service agents based in Bangkok. Their house cut is more to the American taste than to the British one. So, if you prefer your suits more fitted and double-vented, be sure to state that from the outset.They are practically right outside the Landmark Hotel. Incidentally, the chaps who own the Rajawongse Clothier also own the Radisson Blue hotel in Sukhumvit. That tells you how popular their tailor's shop is.

The rival Raja Tailor, on the other hand, is run by the brother of the guy who owns Rajawongse and they have their own list of celebrity clients. You get a more personalised service at Raja. The owner's daughter is a pain in the neck , but his son is a pleasure to deal with. The real Raja Tailor is located on that bit of Sukhumvit Road almost directly across from Soi 11, where the Ambassador Hotel is located. If you are standing at the mouth of Soi 11, the Raja Tailor will be on the opposite side of Sukhumvit Road, diagonal at about 2 o'clock. You probably won't see it immediately though, because it is now hidden behind the pedestrian overhead bridge. Take note though, that if you are standing at the mouth of Soi 11, immediately to the left will be another tailor shop with a huge red signboard saying "The World Famous Raja Tailor" or something like that. That is a completely fake one trading on the name of the original one, which is now hidden behind the overhead bridge.

Both these shops started-out during the Vietnam War era and are well-established. I used to use the Rajawongse, which still has a slightly better selection of fabrics, but I switched to Raja because it has better service.