reader

China-Thailand flights set for fivefold increase next month

BANGKOK (The Nation/Asia News Network): China is seeking to increase the number of scheduled flights to Thailand by five times next month, according to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT).

The number of flights between the two countries could rise to 15 per week next month, the agency reported on its website.

The CAAT said it received an email from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) last Wednesday asking about the “potential of further increasing the passenger flights between China and Thailand”.

The CAAC proposed raising the number of flights from three per week at present to 15 per week.

China’s aviation authority asked for a list of Thai airlines wishing to fly to China so it could prepare Chinese airports for increased traffic, the CAAT said.

1 hour ago, macaroni21 said:

In 2019, about 11 million Chinese visited Thailand. That's about 30,000 a day. If we assume 200 passengers per plane, it means 150 flights a day.

when China -Laos railway will be extended to Thailand thay will start coming  by trains as well but it's big 'when ?"

11 hours ago, reader said:

BANGKOK (The Nation/Asia News Network): China is seeking to increase the number of scheduled flights to Thailand by five times next month, according to the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT).

The number of flights between the two countries could rise to 15 per week next month, the agency reported on its website.

The CAAT said it received an email from the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC) last Wednesday asking about the “potential of further increasing the passenger flights between China and Thailand”.

The CAAC proposed raising the number of flights from three per week at present to 15 per week.

China’s aviation authority asked for a list of Thai airlines wishing to fly to China so it could prepare Chinese airports for increased traffic, the CAAT said.

15 flights a week assuming 200 passengers per flight is 3000 per week 12000 per month ... it's really almost zero Chinese tourist for a nation of 1.5 billion.

13 minutes ago, jason1975 said:

Not unless they are competing with you for your favourite muscle boy in bar!

not really as I'm least competitive person you ever met. If they off my favorite, I'll settle for second ( his best friend by the way) or third best

I understand that lavish tips and those money garlands and even motorcycles some Chinese are forcing upon boys keep them and their bars in business

11 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

In 2019, about 11 million Chinese visited Thailand. That's about 30,000 a day. If we assume 200 passengers per plane, it means 150 flights a day.

Unless my maths are very rusty, your calculations assume each Chinese visitor stays only one night. The majority are on some kind of package tour which I assume lasts for several nights. I know other Chinese who travel individually and like to stay at least 5 nights each visit. Much more likely the number of flights was closer to 30 per day split between BKK, DMK, CNX and HKT.

5 hours ago, PeterRS said:

Unless my maths are very rusty, your calculations assume each Chinese visitor stays only one night. The majority are on some kind of package tour which I assume lasts for several nights. I know other Chinese who travel individually and like to stay at least 5 nights each visit. Much more likely the number of flights was closer to 30 per day split between BKK, DMK, CNX and HKT.

Um, actually there is no need to factor in the duration of stay. My calculation was very simple. 11,000,000 visitors (from China) in a year divided by 365 days = 30,137 persons arriving each day. What I did assume was no significant seasonal variation.

If one was hoping to estimate how many Chinese tourists would be in the country at any given time, then yes, one would have to factor in duration of stay. A week or so ago, I saw somewhere (can't remember where now) a figure of 5 - 6 days as the average duration for a tourist from East Asia. So, if we use 5 as the multiplier, then at any given time, there would be 30,000 x 5 = 150,000 Chinese tourists darting around Thailand.

For more than a year now, many posters have been saying that what bars need is the return of the Chinese tourist...and the Japanese.....and the Koreans...and the Singaporeans...and the Malaysians...because they can come for more frequent trips due to proximity, and when they come they tend to spend freely. I've  been told the Malaysians are appearing in increasing numbers and now we're seeing the Chinese beginning to trickle in. There's every reason to hope that this is a harbinger for the reopening of venues like Lucky Boys and Screw Boy in Bangkok and many more in Pattaya. Their baht is just as good--and welcome--as westerners' baht.

5 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

Um, actually there is no need to factor in the duration of stay. My calculation was very simple. 11,000,000 visitors (from China) in a year divided by 365 days = 30,137 persons arriving each day. What I did assume was no significant seasonal variation.

Not sure why I do not follow your logic. The topic is about the increase in numbers of flights, not tourists. I can see that 30,137 Chinese per day is accurate but in terms of flights per day, I cannot see that this therefore means 150 flights per day. With your average of 200 passengers per flight, you surely assume merely a one night stay for each Chinese tourist to fill up all those seats. If the average length of stay per Chinese tourist is, say, 5 nights, then you surely have to divide the number of flights by number of nights stayed. Hence my 30 flights from China per day rather than your suggestion of 200.

I defer to @macaroni21's estimates! I ran a check on an AOT website which details all flight movements by all airlines to Thailand in 2019. There were 16 Chinese airlines (including charters) flying in to various Thailand airports that year. The total number of arriving flights was 36,389. So, even if my calculations are slightly out, the number of arriving flights was very close to 100 per day.