Ryanqqq

Short term accommodations

Been reading here for a long time. it is always an excellent source of information 
I am thinking of 1-2 months stay in Bangkok early next year, but not sure how to go about accommodations preferably in silom/ Sam yan mrt area. Ok also near the Chong nonsi bts stop.

I know I can just stay in a hotel, but 2 months seem a bit too long without access to a kitchenette or laundry. 
any suggestions? Thanks.

Laundy: hah, you do not yourself-plenty of places where they will do it for you-in Thai places priced by the kg, in neat western-style )(probably most over there) by the piece.

Casual daytime (sloppy?) clothes:  take it under the shower, hang out, next morning dry and clean

The well-known sites of booking and agoda (=bokg mostly for asia) do not list all, but most and have easy and lots of different choices/options

If feeling a bit unsure about it: hire HTL for first few days and visit the places-there will be many more locally. You greatly enlarge choice by being not too specific and able to alk a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions. 
I’d never tried Airbnb but might just do it this time. Really ideal is a place in Ashton chula or similar condo in the area.
Oh yes, the laundry is actually not too much concern with just laundry places. Thks for the idea. 
Even the kitchenette is not super essential. But it’s nice to have for lazy breakfast in the mornings. 

On 8/20/2022 at 7:23 PM, vinapu said:

rooms I was staying at Furama Xclusive Sathorn had kitchenette , not laundry machine though

I think the hotel has self service laundry machines, just not in the room.

And I think I read something about long term rates, so it might be worth contacting the hotel and ask for more information.

3 minutes ago, 10tazione said:

I think the hotel has self service laundry machines, just not in the room.

most likely you are right as they style themselves as executive style hotel with all those kitchenettes and separate bedrooms in some rooms.

Laundry is never my concern since I travel light so whatever I have gets easily washed in the sink and it's usually dry by the morning

• Members
On 8/20/2022 at 11:19 AM, pong2 said:

Laundy: ....Casual daytime (sloppy?) clothes:  take it under the shower, hang out, next morning dry and clean

The well-known sites of booking and agoda (=bokg mostly for asia) do not list all, but most and have easy and lots of different choices/options

If feeling a bit unsure about it: hire HTL for first few days and visit the places-there will be many more locally. You greatly enlarge choice by being not too specific and able to alk a bit.

Depending on what type of fabric, given the humidity in Thailand.

9 hours ago, vinapu said:

most likely you are right as they style themselves as executive style hotel with all those kitchenettes and separate bedrooms in some rooms.

Laundry is never my concern since I travel light so whatever I have gets easily washed in the sink and it's usually dry by the morning

I take it no baggage then?

Saves you waiting at the carousel 

I usually travel to Thailand with a carry on as well but longest I have been is 2 weeks. So I think I’d have more stuff staying a month or two.

but I really like the convenience of just a carry on not just in Thailand but the many travels I did elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Ryanqqq said:

I usually travel to Thailand with a carry on as well but longest I have been is 2 weeks. So I think I’d have more stuff staying a month or two.

really ?  only thing I'd be carry more are perhaps prescription drugs. Otherwise if we need something , all can be bought in Thailand anyways, often cheaper than at home .

few people would take 2 month supply of  say, shirts,  for longer trip so why bother with 10 if 3 will do? back to laundry in the sink, more often though

36 minutes ago, reader said:

Based on my experiences with Airbnb in Bangkok, if you book for four weeks or more you get a substantial discount over the daily rate.

In Bangkok, only monthly Airbnb stays are technically legal.

The host will often give you a discount for booking several weeks to encourage booking longer stays (sometimes discount is offered already from staying 1 week a more). It is not Airbnb offering you a discount on the booking fee. 

Stayed at Evergreen Laurel many years ago. I remember it as a comfortable, well-appointed place and, as you said, certainly walking distance from Silom via Soi Convent. Had no problem with visitors. Also easy walking distance to Soi Suan Plu where you'll find some good restaurants and several male massage shops.

(Btw, think I paid about double the 1200 rate way back then)

7 hours ago, vinapu said:

really ?  only thing I'd be carry more are perhaps prescription drugs. Otherwise if we need something , all can be bought in Thailand anyways, often cheaper than at home .

few people would take 2 month supply of  say, shirts,  for longer trip so why bother with 10 if 3 will do? back to laundry in the sink, more often though

Hmm. You made me rethink the luggage situation. I am just thinking of needing a lot more clothes. But I can make do precisely by washing what I’ll bring. It’ll definitely be just tshirts anyway and lightweight pants. I’m a fan of columbia type pants.

it’s just the winter clothes that I’ll be wearing coming in that’s inconvenient but I can carry it in my hands. 

I definitely relate to the laundry thing. I like staying someplace where I can do my own wash in the apartment and not have to bother hauling it all over and picking it up. One time I did take my clothes to a laundry they used so much fabric softener my clothes smelled awful. 

I booked a place at Ashton-Chula for my next trip via Airbnb and I agree that it seems to be a good option - nice location, new building. 

There are also serviced apartments around the city. I stayed at the Fraser Suites in Sukhumvit 11 many years ago. Beautiful apartment but less-than-ideal location. For a while I always stayed at the Siri Sathorn in Sala Daeng Soi 1. There's another apartment place across the street that is cheaper.

There are tons and tons of condos for rent around the city. You might want to look at a site like fazwaz.com that lists available units. It looks like there are some short term (1 month +) places available. 

Also, depending on your visa situation remember you might need to leave the country for a "visa run".