Ryanqqq

Short term accommodations

10 hours ago, fedssocr said:

I definitely relate to the laundry thing. I like staying someplace where I can do my own wash in the apartment and not have to bother hauling it all over and picking it up. One time I did take my clothes to a laundry they used so much fabric softener my clothes smelled awful. 

I booked a place at Ashton-Chula for my next trip via Airbnb and I agree that it seems to be a good option - nice location, new building. 

There are also serviced apartments around the city. I stayed at the Fraser Suites in Sukhumvit 11 many years ago. Beautiful apartment but less-than-ideal location. For a while I always stayed at the Siri Sathorn in Sala Daeng Soi 1. There's another apartment place across the street that is cheaper.

There are tons and tons of condos for rent around the city. You might want to look at a site like fazwaz.com that lists available units. It looks like there are some short term (1 month +) places available. 

Also, depending on your visa situation remember you might need to leave the country for a "visa run".

Thanks to you and everyone for all the many information on accommodation options. I’ve never booked with Airbnb but is there a way to know exactly the condo that’s in offer? It’s actually the Ashton chula that I would really like to try because I would be sort of testing it for a possible retirement visa extension. It’s in the most ideal area as it is close to the language school I’m looking at, and of course, the silom bars and restaurants. I’ve seen long term rental that specify it along with nearby condos like wish and ideo, which is a bit further off silom.

One issue you might run into with Airbnb is that with tourism picking back up finding a place in that exact building that is available for a full month or two might be a challenge. All it takes is some one having already booked for a few days to take that unit out of the running for your full month rental.

When I booked the place I will be staying in I took a look at one of the rental sites and about 1/3 of the Ashton-Chula was available for rent or sale. A lot of those units probably have 1 year lease or maybe 6 month minimums. But with such a glut of units you might be able to work out something shorter.

14 hours ago, Ryanqqq said:

Thanks to you and everyone for all the many information on accommodation options. I’ve never booked with Airbnb but is there a way to know exactly the condo that’s in offer? It’s actually the Ashton chula that I would really like to try because I would be sort of testing it for a possible retirement visa extension. It’s in the most ideal area as it is close to the language school I’m looking at, and of course, the silom bars and restaurants. I’ve seen long term rental that specify it along with nearby condos like wish and ideo, which is a bit further off silom.

Sometimes you can find the same apartment or other apartments in the building with the same floorplan to see more photos on https://www.hipflat.com/ which is a property sale/rental site.

Ashton Chula seems to have plenty of info available https://www.hipflat.com/projects/ashton-chula-silom-rqmwim

• Members
5 hours ago, vaughn said:

Ashton Chula seems to have plenty of info available https://www.hipflat.com/projects/ashton-chula-silom-rqmwim

Wow, rent is so cheap in BKK now, high floor 1br for <$800/month?! 

I had to pay $1200 for a high floor 1br apartment 15 years ago in a similiar location (silom/sathorn area), and that was a one year lease!!

• Members
9 hours ago, fedssocr said:

1250 units available for rent! I think that's almost the whole building!

(Although I guess maybe it's the same units listed with multiple sites so the numbers could be inflated)

Are farang expats all gone? BKK is a ghost town now?

I rented an Ashton-Chula condo in 2018 through airbnb.

Although I enjoyed my stay and had no problems (with joiners or otherwise), there were posters everywhere (in the elevators, lobby,.. ) stating that airbnb was illegal and the tenant and landlord could be fined or even go to prison. That was rather intimidating. My airbnb host at the time just said that if they asked anything, I should tell them that I was his friend staying at his appartment, but still..  

I don't know what the situation is today though (legality of airbnb).