Latbear4blk

question about Cali

• Members

I am starting to have doubts about going again to Medellin in November. I am getting tempted by Rio in one hand, and by Cali in the other. Surprisingly, flying to Cali is cheaper than flying to Medellin. 

My question for the connoisseurs of Colombia, specifically Cali, is: in what neighborhood should I look for my airbnb?

I went once because of someone that I met on a chat sight, years ago. I stayed at the Intercontinental and had him for a guide. We went to a few local places, where he was known...dated the bartender before type of stuff, wasn't a hustler....to speak of.

I had fun but never had the urge to go back.....Brasil is a sure thing.

8 hours ago, Latbear4blk said:

My question for the connoisseurs of Colombia, specifically Cali, is: in what neighborhood should I look for my airbnb?

I stayed almost a week in Cali in July so that is easy.

- Granada (North of the river/around Parque Simon Bolivar). Close the centro and the main sights. Several gay bars and saunas (Phisicus 21 and Relax Men)

- El Penon (the latter is a bit further to the West of centro, but still within walking distance). The IC hotel is located there. Several nice restaurants.

- Santa Teresita (upscale residential area south of the river but a bit further out than El Penon).

I don't have much experience with the barrios south of the centro, but supposedly Jardin should be nice as well (but is quite far to the south). The area immediately south of the centro is to avoided (at night).

DM me for any questions or further info.

• Members
6 hours ago, floridarob said:

Brasil is a sure thing.

I know. Rio is calling me. And Medellin too. However, I should explore new destinations in my quest for places to live part of the year after retirement. I am meeting so many hot caleños en internet, that I am tempted to give the city a try. I have not made a decision yet. 

You should. I would consider Cali as a pleasant alternative to Medellin. Less established for people working remotely and notably less tourists/foreigners in Cali with no Gringo area like El Poblado. Many things are notably cheaper too, including accommodation and local guys (you will hardly never get quoted 200 mil/hour which guys in Medellin easily command). 

Cali feels more authentic. An example is Siloe (pronounced Silo-ee), the equivalent of Communa 13 in Medellin (which IMO has become a commercial/ tourist trap; I was shocked when I revisited in July and left quite quickly); the local people looked at me with horror when I explained that I had been sightseeing in Siloe, and asked  me if I still had my cellphone and money ;) 
Certainly some eye candy in Siloe (if you are into more rough guys, hustlers/street trade etc ) 

• Members
1 hour ago, Collins said:

Check out Santa Marta.  I’m not a huge fan of Cali, tbh.  Santa Marta give you Beach vibes and not as developed or as hot as Cartagena.  

Santa Marta is in my list, but probably for when I am already staying in Bogotá or Medellín for several months. I would probably visit for a week or even just a weekend. My curiosity for Cali is evolving in the same direction.

I know I just said that one should not get hooked with one destination and instead try different ones in different trips. However, Rio is just too tempting. To make its charms more irresistibly, I just learned that Rhyheim Shabazz will probably be in the city by November. If the situation does not change, everything seems to tell me that I have to spend  my Thanksgiving break in Rio. 

• Members

As mentioned Grenada-Versailles keeps you central and close to restaurants and nightlife.  El Peñon-San Antonio is also central and has lots of good options and attractions.

I would also suggest the areas around Parque del Perro down to the main Hospital del Valle is also very lively and walkable. Main transit route is on Calle 5 and buses run late, so it is pretty easy to get around the city.

CuidadJardin is a beautiful neighbourhood, but basically a gated community for the wealthy. It caters to affluent families that want little to do with the street life downtown.

Cali is a very distinct flavor of living -- a veces parece puro desorden -- but not without many charms.

• Members
6 minutes ago, macdaddi said:

Cali is a very distinct flavor of living -- a veces parece puro desorden -- but not without many charms.

Oh, also want to share with anyone that is thinking about visiting Cali...

The entire city comes to a standstill on Sunday. Virtually nothing is open. You can hike up to El Cerro de las tres cruces or up to Cristo Rey, the malls in Versalles and Jardin are open, but that is pretty much it. The salsa clubs in Juanchito come to standstill. Very traditional in that sense.

For the record I love visiting Cali and make a point of going each year for a few days. But I always fly back to Medellín on Sunday morning.

• Members
1 hour ago, Riobard said:

Direct Cali-Medellín? I don’t think Satena does it. Another carrier?

Easyfly.  You can purchase online using a VPN. They fly direct from Olaya Herrera in Medellin daily to Cali international (CLO). Which is a nice timesaver. They also do regional flights just like Satena.

Viva Air, Avianca and LATAM also have flights between Cali and Medellin, but to the large airport outside Medellin (MDE). The air fares are usually very reasonable; From 150 mil if purchased a few days in advance.

After the opening of the road tunnel east of El Poblado (tunel de oriente) it has become less time consuming to travel between MDE and the city.

Easyfly is also useful between Pereira and Armenia to Medellin (Olaya Herrera airport in the city)

Although the distance Medellin to Pereira or Armenia is short, don't be tempted by the cheap bus fares (60 mil) vs Easyfly air fares (around 300 mil and upwards as I recall it) as the bus takes at least 7 hours (often 8+ hours) to drive between Medellin and Pereira due to road construction works which forces the bus to make several stops of 30min and more enroute (the road is restricted to one-way traffic)

• Members
21 minutes ago, speedoo1 said:

Easyfly is also useful between Pereira and Armenia to Medellin (Olaya Herrera airport in the city)

Although the distance Medellin to Pereira or Armenia is short, don't be tempted by the cheap bus fares (60 mil) vs Easyfly air fares (around 300 mil and upwards as I recall it) as the bus takes at least 7 hours (often 8+ hours) to drive between Medellin and Pereira due to road construction works which forces the bus to make several stops of 30min and more enroute (the road is restricted to one-way traffic)

Yes, apart from transport mode considerations, I recently booked Olaya Herrera to Bogotá return on Satena for an upcoming Medellín trip in which I wish to add a Bogotá excursion. I did not need a VPN. Fare range was COP300-600K. I booked the highest fare (Plus) of the four options as it really isn’t much by Canadian standards. It turns out that it has the highest flex for changes but all seats on the small craft as well as checked luggage privileges are created equal, not that I will have more than carryon.

• Members
29 minutes ago, speedoo1 said:

Viva Air, Avianca and LATAM also have flights between Cali and Medellin, but to the large airport outside Medellin (MDE). The air fares are usually very reasonable; From 150 mil if purchased a few days in advance.

Good options, although personally I think I would rather walk than ever take another Viva Air flight...

giphy.gif

• Members
On 8/27/2022 at 1:14 PM, Riobard said:

Yes, apart from transport mode considerations, I recently booked Olaya Herrera to Bogotá return on Satena for an upcoming Medellín trip in which I wish to add a Bogotá excursion. I did not need a VPN. Fare range was COP300-600K. I booked the highest fare (Plus) of the four options as it really isn’t much by Canadian standards. It turns out that it has the highest flex for changes but all seats on the small craft as well as checked luggage privileges are created equal, not that I will have more than carryon.

Eeeesh. Satena only allows a personal item, it turns out, and I was required to check the cabin bag I had planned on taking on board; a 2nd less important bag was to be checked anyway. Fortunately, I had time to rearrange things, wearing extra layers of more expensive items and making sure vital stuff was transferred to the small backpack that was the personal piece brought on. It was the one piece that fit the chrome enclosure and satisfied wright limits. I have never had a bag lost or delayed in my lifetime but I expect there’s easily a first time. 

On 8/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, floridarob said:

I went once because of someone that I met on a chat sight, years ago. I stayed at the Intercontinental and had him for a guide. We went to a few local places, where he was known...dated the bartender before type of stuff, wasn't a hustler....to speak of.

I had fun but never had the urge to go back.....Brasil is a sure thing.

Was there 6 years ago and didn’t see much action. The city is dead after 6pm, it doesn’t offer much for night life. When the city is too quieted and not many people walking around during night I normally avoid it. There are more black if you interested and the scenes is nothing like Brasil. Cali has an uneasy atmosphere or and uncertainty. People I met were fine….

On 8/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, Latbear4blk said:

I am starting to have doubts about going again to Medellin in November. I am getting tempted by Rio in one hand, and by Cali in the other. Surprisingly, flying to Cali is cheaper than flying to Medellin. 

I'm thinking of visiting Cali for the big Salsa festival between Christmas and New Year.

Any tips / advice?

Anyone else going to be there?

I took a bus from Pereira to Cali, I like bus travel in central Colombia. Usually overnight, pretty comfy, weird 2am snack stops, every second trip something was broken (aircon, electricity system), people are shared to other busses, etc. But, everybody remains calm and happy, big respect to colombians. Its a project in itself!

There is a city called Palmira near Cali, Grindr went crazy there. In Cali I spent most of the time in the Phisicus sauna, nice people, cold beer, (too strong) weed if you are polite with guys in smoking area, massage guys and quite many (hot) visitors at weekends. 

There is also sauna called Cali Club, where sexy guys go on weekends. I was there within a week and there were few visitors, including horny muscle guy.

I stayed in a hotel next to the main futball stadium, walking distance to Parqu del Perro. Took uber to the center.

I had an impression that in the Cali main bus station one should be careful with the belongings you have.

I did not hear or see any salsa😀.