Olddaddy

Keeping yourself fit as a senior citizen

I know Vinapu speaks a lot on weight control and overeating .

Can I ask many if you as you get into your senior years are you still taking care of yourself

And what I mean by that is ,you guys past 50 are you eating a good diet ,doing any exercise and no smoking ,limited drinking or have you let yourself go?

Look I'm going to he honest ,if I was past 80yo I probably wouldn't care what I ate or drank but you guys going past 50 are you taking care of your body ?

How many of you actually go to the gym to lift weights? Or do swimming ? 

I wonder how many runners are here or cyclists ?

Or be honest you stopped exercising.

If I were past 80 I also probably wouldn't worry too much about what I ate or keeping in shape. Luckily, I'm not there yet.

I exercise in order to be fit enough to go sightseeing when I travel. I usually walk around 17 kilometres a day when I'm on holidays. I want to be able to climb up cathedral stairs in Europe, for example. 

My last overseas trip was to Spain and Portugal. In Portugal you are forever climbing stairs and hills so you need a fair degree of fitness. It is the most exhausting country I've ever visited.

I live on the coast so I just cross the road and I'm at the beach where I go swimming in summer. In winter I have a heated pool to swim in. There is also a walking path that goes on for kilometres along the coast, so that is also very convenient.

I also have a gym at home but rarely use it as I prefer to exercise outside. But I've kitted it out with lots of equipment because the "friends" who come over to provide me with a special kind of "exercise" like to work out. Just looking at all that equipment wears me out!

I have a sweet tooth so I actually need to exercise more then most in order to stay fit. I don't drink much and I only smoke when I'm in Thailand, never at home - or anywhere else for that matter.

When on holidays I would easily walk at least 15 kilometres a day all up, that starts with an early morning walk to and around Lumphini park but future trips I will give the Lumpini-Benjakitti park green mile route a try out. Some previous trips to Bangkok I would sign up at Thaniya Fitness and do a morning workout and swim there but sadly that is no more. Trips to Phuket was always walking and swimming every day.

In the Philippines I would usually stay up in the mountains and still do a lot of walking but more up and down hill but I do like to walk around Camp John Hay a lot. At home I workout 2 hours a day and no matter where I am I try to eat healthy but I do still treat myself to some non healthy favourites once or twice a month. After having a few health scares in the last 10 years it has me doing more to look after the body and mind, still relatively young (mid 60's) and hopefully with many more years to go, there is still much more for me to see and do. 

If I get to 80 I'll be happy, getting past it could well be a different matter.

21 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

Workout 2 hours a day ????😳😳😳

Yes, some cardio, stretching and some weight training, always try to get the day going with a good morning workout