reader

Thailand seeks Filipinos to staff hotels

From Inquirer.net

MANILA, Philippines — Thousands of jobs in the hospitality industry, particularly in the accommodation sector, in Thailand may soon be offered to Filipino tourism workers, the Department of Tourism (DOT) said Monday.

The job openings were among the agreements in the bilateral meeting between the Philippines’ Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco and Thailand Ministry of Tourism and Sports (MOTS) Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn on August 18, the DOT said in a press release.During the meeting, the Thai Tourism Minister said that the Thai tourism industry is currently experiencing a shortage of workers, with up to 60% of hotel staff and middle management positions vacant, despite the lifting of travel restrictions and the resumption of tourism activities in Thailand.

In response, Frasco said the Philippines’ DOT acknowledges Thailand’s tourism workforce deficit “with serious consideration.” She also said that her agency is in talks with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) to conduct nationwide job fairs, specifically for the tourism industry.

Frasco and the Thai Minister met on the sidelines of the 11th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Tourism Ministerial Meeting held in Bangkok, Thailand.

Filipinos are I think the highest World's outsourcing of workers .

They even have a special departure area at the airport for them and the airlines have special flight rates for them with a "overseas worker" membership card .

Filipinos are in the majority fantastic loyal to the boss  workers, mostly into hospitality jobs,hotel front desk,cleaning and nursing/Carer  type jobs .

With the Thai tourism industry decimated as a result of covid, with millions of experienced employees laid off and expected tourism arrivals in 2023 not expected to reach even half those of 2019, what has happened to all the Thais who used to work in the hospitality industry? These men and women need jobs and should have the opportunity of being rehired. So why the need for overseas workers? Is this a ploy merely to get cheap labour, I am tempted to think?

I noticed a lot of Filipino here in Australia working as aged care nurses in nursing homes,I would say at least 80% ,I guess some jobs the natives don't like 👍

About any cruiseliner has a near full pinoy crew-certainly in all that have customer contact.

Plus that indeed many tankers/ships also have a mostly pinoy crew.

This is by now a rather old item-with the nr of hotels still closed-or even standing derelict what I now see around in this area, I doubt if Thailand would need to turn to PH for it-and if foreign workers are needed, I would give the Burmese, followed by the Khmer, first choice.

BTW-I think there are a few more countries that have large crowds of overseas workers-and also special lanes at (air)ports to accomodate them-forgotten where.

IF it goes about sheer nrs-the very large countries like INdia and China most likely have more people working overseas (INdians mostly in the Gulf petrol states) as they have well over 10 times as many people as PH.