Olddaddy

Get that Prostate check please !

I see prostate cancer in men has risen .

Please guys go get a PSA blood test and a rectal exam.

The last few days I have noticed increased urination myself I'm thinking possibly prostate cancer and have booked in to see a Urologist next week!!!

Please ask your doctor for a PSA blood test  ASAP to determine your prostate level .

Look to be honest it appears going by Google they can't do anything anyway if you have the cancer but least they can slow it down .

I have booked in with a young Asian urologist which will cost me around $400 but better to be safe than sorry .

He will do the physical rectal anal exam of putting his finger in my bum to feel my prostate .

The digital prostrate exam is not as fun as it sounds…

Cleveland Clinic does an IsoPSA that gives better results and prevents some unwarranted biopsies that really aren’t fun.

But dying doesn’t sound like fun either.

After prostratectomy, injectable ED medication therapy 2-3 times a week raises erection recovery to 50% by a new smaller study.

2 hours ago, tm_nyc said:

Yes!  Agree 100% on both.  And, no, the 'digital' exam is no fun at all.

Mmmmm...one of my reasons for going regular is the finger(s) up the bum 👍🤣

• Members
18 hours ago, Olddaddy said:

Still better to be safe than sorry and get a check, same with a colonoscopy every 5 years .

Again, please get your information from public health professionals and professional advisory guidelines, not from forum posts. If you're using colonoscopy as the screening tool for colon cancer, the evidence shows screening should be every 10 years, not 5. Colon cancer screening is the most effective cancer screening there is, precisely because there is a very long period from polyp to pre-cancerous polyp to cancer to invasive cancer, which is why 10 years is the official recommendation. While it may feel you're being "more clever" by doing it every 5 years, colonoscopy has a pretty high rate of serious complications (about 1 in 1000 result in perforation), which is why 10 years works out best. "Intuition" is not what one needs to make these decisions. Guidelines come from statistics and hard facts:

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/colorectal-cancer-screening

Direct visualization tests
Colonoscopy Every 10 y
  • Evidence from cohort studies that colonoscopy reduces colorectal cancer mortality
  • Harms from colonoscopy include bleeding and perforation, which both increase with age
  • Screening and diagnostic follow-up of positive results can be performed during the same examination
  • Requires less frequent screening
  • Requires bowel preparation, anesthesia or sedation, and transportation to and from the screening examination

And, again, with prostate cancer screening, the facts are known and well-summarized for anyone who cares to look into the details of the previously-provided link. While it may intuitively feel as if knowing if you have prostate cancer is useful information, it's a statistical fact that this knowledge does NOT increase lifespan. The vast majority of prostate cancers discovered by prostate cancer screening will never affect the life of the person with said cancer. Discovery of these cancers is more likely to harm the patient than help the patient. This is absolutely a matter of fact, and not a matter of opinion. 

Now, if you see the statement "PSA-based screening programs in men aged 55 to 69 years may prevent approximately 1.3 deaths from prostate cancer over approximately 13 years per 1000 men screened" and you feel it's better to take the chance on being one of those 1.3 per 1000, rather than in the overwhelming majority who will be harmed (and even have his lifespan shortened) due to the screening, now that is a matter of personal values and opinion. But it's best to make such decisions fully informed, and with one's eyes wide open, because the consequences are serious. 

Well guys went to a GP yesterday, about my prostate .

He said gay men and listen to this ,he said gay men have HIGHER PSA levels because they have gay sex and it massages the prostate !!!

I had no idea !

Anyway rather than a rectal or blood test again ,he gave me a urine test ,didn't know you can get these for prostate so I will await the result 

• Members
On 9/7/2022 at 3:02 PM, Olddaddy said:

Well guys went to a GP yesterday, about my prostate .

He said gay men and listen to this ,he said gay men have HIGHER PSA levels because they have gay sex and it massages the prostate !!!

I had no idea !

Anyway rather than a rectal or blood test again ,he gave me a urine test ,didn't know you can get these for prostate so I will await the result 

Yikes! You should strongly consider getting a new GP. First of all, there's NO evidence gay men have higher PSA levels, whether they bottom or not. In fact, studies have shown that ejaculating more frequently seems to LOWER the risk of developing prostate cancer (which makes sense, intuitively, because you're clearing out your prostate more frequently):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5040619/

"...These findings provide additional evidence of a beneficial role of more frequent ejaculation throughout adult life in the etiology of PCa...".

Also, if a person, knowing the risks and modest benefits of prostate cancer screening, still wishes to undergo this screening, a blood PSA level is the only way to do it. This screening cannot be done with any urine test.