emiel1981

Trip report: Thailand September 2022

19 minutes ago, emiel1981 said:

With Thais still wearing their masks everywhere (even outside on the streets) it's hard to see if a boy is flirting. And smiles are not seen trough that masks... Thank god at least the boys on stage don't wear masks...

I should have been more specific. It's actually eye contact that communicates interest. And a head turn--with or without mask--is not to be ignored. 😄

19 minutes ago, emiel1981 said:

Somehow I think there is a difference for me. I would like to think at least there is some kind of equal opportunity and fair competition here. But when the hot "straight" boy on stage has to choose between a girl in the audience or me, I thinks I don't make a fair chance anymore... And sometimes that makes me a jealous bitch... Lol

You're right. It's completely unfair but you can't compete with a straight guy's libido--unless of course you're prepared to wildly outbid the lady's best bid for his affection. But even then, you may well still end up disappointed.

2 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

Because Bangkok has much more to offer than boys alone, right?) 

yes , there are some girls there too, actually quite a lot

2 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

I took the advice from this forum to download the Bolt taxi app. As Bolt should be cheaper than Grab. For my trip from Le Méridien hotel in Silom to Gran Palace I looked up the prices:

Bolt: 87 baht, 17 minutes waiting time
Grab: 177 baht, 8 minutes waiting time 

Well... Happy I never listened to them. As conversion via atm would have cost met just over 300 euro. 💸 I just checked my digital account and my bank only charged me 286 euro... Good to know. 

in May  me , my Boy de Last Night and other member hailed taxi on Suriwong in front of Patpong and  paid 100 baht to Grand Palace tip included so it looks Bolt is not much better if at all and Grab just extortionate

yes, never accept ATM conversion rate but let  bank convert it. I did the same in May and it was always more favourable , the same as you discover.

Also because of bank fees, often on both ends,  it's better to withdraw bigger amounts like 20000 or 25000 in one shot.

Also when paying  by credit  decline conversion at point of sale and let bank to do that. So called ' dynamic conversion ' was invented to skin tourists alive, often without anesthetics.

2 hours ago, reader said:

It's completely unfair but you can't compete with a straight guy's libido--unless of course you're prepared to wildly outbid the lady's best bid for his affection...

for example by hanging that 1000 baht garland  on the guy in plain view of everybody or even better to hand him that 1000 baht note but in a way he will be able to see what he is getting

2 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

The problem is this: If we had to choose between going to a show bar with no realistic chance of a satisfactory off and a  sex-offing bar with no show, which would we go to? I would choose the latter with no hesitation, and I think many members here would too

count me in

at end of day what counts is that in Bangkok or broader,  in Thailand we still have a choice

3 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

That shows you how much the bar owners understand their market.

I agree. I'd prefer just a parade rotation sans the show. But I think the bar owners are more tuned in to what Asian audiences of both sexes like and that is a show. They want to be entertained for their pricey drink. It certainly seems to work for Moonlight and it was a big part of the draw at Lucky Boys.

That's not to say they don't also come for--and regularly leave with--a boy.

Those of us who are westerners are becoming more of a minority.

Haven't the shows been in place for a long time though - since before there were so many Asian women (especially) and men going to the bars?

I agree that the boytisserie is enough show for me. Or if they would be real stripper bars like what the Canadian places used to be - I haven't been up there in a while so I'm not sure what the current shows there are like. But I suspect the Montreal clubs are about the same as they used to be. I used to love Remington's in Toronto. So many fun times there.

I remember Remington's. I seem to recall it had a back room but it's been many years since I was last there. Same for Montreal that had a host of memorable places.

As for Bangkok show bars, westerners jammed Dreamboys when it was on Twilight so we have to shoulder some of the responsibility for the popularity of the shows. We tolerated the performances so we could ogle the guys. 😄

9 hours ago, macaroni21 said:

The problem is this: If we had to choose between going to a show bar with no realistic chance of a satisfactory off and a  sex-offing bar with no show, which would we go to?

I miss pre-2008 DJ Station, when the place got packed EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. When the stage would fill up with bronze-skin Adonises flaunting their perfect bodies. When a throng of twinks, macho athlete and all other types would show up to dance and flirt. When you didn't have to "off" anyone. Just flirt back. God, I remember the surge of excitement I'd get every trip to Bangkok when, on my first night in town, I'd walk through the door at DJ Station. The music instantly pulsed through my body and then I looked up on that stage. Better than any show I've ever seen elsewhere in Bangkok.

I can't wait till my trip in November. I'm really hoping the Banana room nightclub develops a similar ambience.

31 minutes ago, emiel1981 said:

A very friendly papasan started a nice conversation with me. He also told me 5 of the 8 boys were gay and can be fucked. From these 5 there were at least 3 I could take home because they were my cup of tea... 

Wasn't the boy one of the 5 gay can be fuck and if so why was he so nervous in your room  ?

57 minutes ago, emiel1981 said:

During the show some more customers came in and I couldn't have somebody else quickly take him before I could make a move. 

that was very smart and prudent as quite often I see customers entering bars and calling some guy to seat with them shortly after. I'm one of those , if I see somebody I like I tend to call him right away. 

Once again, @emiel1981's observations match mine - this time about Tarntawan Hotel. It is habitable, but it's getting really old. The dark wood of the heavy furniture is the one thing I remember most. I found it made the room gloomy, and that's not a mood I want to be in. I also have a personal dislike of bathtubs. A modern shower stall is important to me. preferably one big enough for two. So, except for maybe 2 visits perhaps 10 - 12 years ago, I have not been back.

3 hours ago, emiel1981 said:

But to be honest after my first impression; with current low hotel rates I think there are better hotel options in this area. 

Paying rates in the low $20 usd including breakfast for 2 ......they'll never have a reserve to remodel. At this price point and location, what are the better hotel options?

They do have rooms on the front side of the hotel that are better than the back, for a few bucks more 😉

2 hours ago, floridarob said:

Paying rates in the low $20 usd including breakfast for 2 ......they'll never have a reserve to remodel. At this price point and location, what are the better hotel options?

you are right.

While we enjoy low prices we need to remember that eventually it will start to bite us back when funds will be to scarce for maintenance , even less basic renovations. That was sad fate of once very agreeable places like Om Yim and Nantra Silom

So unfortunately when we are fortunate enough to land a good rate we need to be prepared to compromise on quality.

With such mind frame staying in somewhat neglected hotel will be enjoyable enough. While Tarnatwan was never my favorite option I stay there quite a few times. Location can't be bitten indeed , central yet quiet.