12is12

Pattaya Questions, after Due Dilengence

I researched both here and on the other website. My google map is full of blues for hotels, greens - food, yellow stars - tourism, red hearts - sex venues.

Questions:

1) If I understand correctly (on Sawatdee it's explicit), there are no gogo bars in Jomtien Complex; only host bars and saunas. Why then is it so popular, including staying at hotels there? Aren't most members here interested in the two action zones (SP, BT)? What am I missing?

2) Someone mentioned 40-50% (loud) women audience at BBB. Is that always like that? Also at other venues?? For me, it spoils the atmosphere... 

I guess jomtien has a few gay  expats who like to meet up, thankfully not the same generation of expats as 20 years ago ,which have all moved on,so jomtien is more a expat area although there are fewer and fewer every year.

You will enjoy jomtien more though as it has a mixture of gay bars and gay massage areas as well as gay friendly hotels 

You can always visit Sunee & Boyztown.

6 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Boyztown has go-go bars, but they are comparatively expensive and don't appeal to everybody.  Sunee Plaza is down to just a couple go-go bars.  They too don't appeal to everybody, 

The women in go-go bars were almost all Chinese.  Now there are none....

Also, not everybody needs or is all that interested in go-go bars in the first place. 

The best way for you to research is to check out all three areas for yourself and decide which works best for you.

in view of your repeated statement "don't appeal to everybody " with which I agree in any case,  advice in the last sentence is very sensible and one to apply.

What one member finds boring , next one can assess as fun and other way around. The same goes with boys , bars , food , you name it.

Even in boring , dirty and noisy  bar we may find attractive boy and as I always say , all we need is one bar and one boy in it as long as boy is matching our specification.

so yes , 12is12,  go and check for yourself.

as for girls at BBB Shameless mack2 aka Macaroni 21 recently reported in his blog plenty of them at BBB. They may annoy some with all that giggling and squeaking but as much as us , they keep bars operational and boys gainfully occupied. Yes , they are our competition but so are other gay customers so it's better just treat them as part and parcel of experience.

If they spoil an atmosphere , better avoid that bar but if one likes better built boys, like me , may be stuck as BBB is best source of those.

8 hours ago, 12is12 said:

Questions:

1) If I understand correctly (on Sawatdee it's explicit), there are no gogo bars in Jomtien Complex; only host bars and saunas. Why then is it so popular, including staying at hotels there? Aren't most members here interested in the two action zones (SP, BT)?

many boys , many bars, many farangs, massage , meal and accommodation options abound in very close vicinity. Even airport bus is just walking distance. Thoese are advantages of Jomtien.

Disadvantage in my opinion - both boys and bars very uniform and hard to tell one apart from the other. If one is into twinks , it's paradise or close to. If one is looking for hunks , tough place but not impossible to find. One of my best treasures ever was found (or rather found me)  at @Home bar.

So again old mantra, go and check, even better , more than once

Some really good information in all the replies here. To tell you the truth, I first started going to Pattaya for the go-go bars. I loved watching the dancers get up on stage in their swim suits and smile at me. Or not. I loved the sleaze factor. The hedonist in me loved the excitement. But over the years Boyztown and Sunee became shadows of what they were. I have no idea why as I really loved the nightlife they provided. But everyone seemed to have migrated down to Jomtien.

I've tried to follow them. But I've never had a good time in Jomtien. First of all, there are no sleazy go-go bars. There are only open-air beer bars that, when I sit down at one, make me feel like I myself am on display to be gawked at by all the other tourists walking by. Secondly, despite everyone saying the place is heaven for twink lovers, I've never found that to be true. I have never met -- or even seen -- anyone I'd like to invite back to my hotel room. With all the twink heaven comments persisting, however, I'm nearly convinced that I've just visited Jomtien during slow times of the year. How could my experiences possibly be the exact opposite of everybody else's?

Anyway, my thinking is that Jomtien became the hot nighttime spot because of its prices, although I would not get into a debate on the matter with Gaybutton, who made some excellent points earlier in this thread. Plus he always seems to be extremely knowledgable.

So when I visit Pattaya in November, I will book a Jomtien hotel for the first time -- at least for the first couple of nights -- and, um, try to have fun.

13 hours ago, 12is12 said:

I researched both here and on the other website. My google map is full of blues for hotels, greens - food, yellow stars - tourism, red hearts - sex venues.

Questions:

1) If I understand correctly (on Sawatdee it's explicit), there are no gogo bars in Jomtien Complex; only host bars and saunas. Why then is it so popular, including staying at hotels there? Aren't most members here interested in the two action zones (SP, BT)? What am I missing?

2) Someone mentioned 40-50% (loud) women audience at BBB. Is that always like that? Also at other venues?? For me, it spoils the atmosphere... 

There is one go-go bar in Jomtien, a ladies go-go! It is across the street from the Complex area.  It does seem that fewer men like the go-go scene although the dancers do get offs in Sunee and in Boyztown. 

Pre Covid I often stayed in the Complex at one of the gay friendly hotels (Zing, Agate and Poseidon). But I enjoyed looking for boys in the BT and Sunee gogos. Returning later with an offed boy was usually by motor bike taxi taking what seemed like no time at all. On arrival it was good to sit in one of the bars for a while taking in the late night scene.

in this way I to some degree combined the advantages of the three areas. However during my June/July trip this year I operated the other way round by staying at the Ambience and bringing boys back on two occasions from the Complex. 

6 minutes ago, Travellerdave said:

However during my June/July trip this year I operated the other way round by staying at the Ambience and bringing boys back on two occasions from the Complex. 

What would you recommend to someone planning to spend four nights in Pattaya in November? Lodging in Jomtien or close to Boyztown? Where was there more action during your recent stay?

In June/July the gogos had not really got into full swing with the exception of Winner from where I offed on three occasions . Transit between the three gay areas was quick and easy due to the quieter than normal roads and because I have no fear using motor bike taxis even three up. That was the theme of my post. I think for my next trip I will go back to staying in the Complex, with its profusion of boys, both twinks and more mature.

There's no difference in essence. Eye contact and a smile, or an offer of a drink.  in my day, guys would often approach first...nowadays, I'm led to believe, this isn't so common.

I must agree with BiggusDikkus about JC's lack of twinks. I must admit that we only visit the bars early in the evening for a drink before dinner and so I am an observer rather than a participant but he's right; it is not a twink-heaven. It certainly isn't like the  BT or Suny of years ago, or even, as I understand it, Winners today. The guys are predominantly Cambodian, a higher proportion are straight  and the cute, gay twenty year-olds of yore don't seem to be much in evidence.

And yes, I know this is dependent on the definition of a twink....but Biggusdickus and I seem to agree on that.

6 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

over the years Boyztown and Sunee became shadows of what they were. I have no idea why as I really loved the nightlife they provided. But everyone seemed to have migrated down to Jomtien.

Unless one wants to go to the few remaining go-go bars, Jomtien Complex is the only fully gay nightlife scene left in Pattaya.  Until and unless there is a comeback of the Boyztown-Sunee Plaza go-go bars, what other gay nightlife scene is there?

I truly am hoping for a major push to allow go-go bars in Jomtien Complex.  Assuming an ordinance really does exist prohibiting it, then it's time for that ordinance to be repealed.

It also could be that the beer bar owners are opposed to go-go bars in the Complex for fear they would lose too many customers.  I don't think that would be a valid fear because when Sunee Plaza was in its heyday there were plenty of go-go bars and plenty of beer bars.  In case no one noticed, many of the go-go bars failed long before the beer bars started failing.

If I were interested in opening a gay go-go bar in Jomtien Complex, I would hire a Thai lawyer and also head for City Hall to see if there really is such an ordinance or not.  I think we all assume it exists only because for many years that has been the assumption, but I have never seen it and I don't know anybody who has.  I would first get all the legal ducks in a row, obtain whatever licenses and permits are necessary, and if it turns out to be perfectly legal in Jomtien Complex, start hiring boys

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

There's no difference in essence. Eye contact and a smile, or an offer of a drink.  in my day, guys would often approach first...nowadays, I'm led to believe, this isn't so common.

I must agree with BiggusDikkus about JC's lack of twinks. I must admit that we only visit the bars early in the evening for a drink before dinner and so I am an observer rather than a participant but he's right; it is not a twink-heaven. It certainly isn't like the  BT or Suny of years ago, or even, as I understand it, Winners today. The guys are predominantly Cambodian, a higher proportion are straight  and the cute, gay twenty year-olds of yore don't seem to be much in evidence.

And yes, I know this is dependent on the definition of a twink....but Biggusdickus and I seem to agree on that.

Make that three of us. I’m spoiled from the past also, but the twinks in jomtien complex are few and far between. And not many stunners either. I don’t like it at all.

id rather pay more for a better boystown or Sunnee. In fact I see more twinks riding the baht bus. I’ve probably picked up more on the baht bus than at the complex.

There was one really hot twink at Sun Bar that looked dressed in a Japanese komodo, wearing glasses. I’m not sure if he was there to sell drinks or get offed. My regular from years ago works there and tried getting me to buy him a drink. I was more interested in playing pool at corner bar sadly.

I doubt we’ll ever see a go go bar in Jomtien. I’m hoping more don’t give up on Winner bar or Toy boys, they are our last hope for twink survival.

Nevertheless, JC is the place to be! It is the last outpost for such as I. And, taking into account the fact that I'm no longer in the market, it is vibrant, more than gay-friendly....and fun.

I suspect that the twinks of yore do not exist in Pattaya for a variety of social and economic reasons. In the past, large families in rural areas resulted in the youngest children leaving in their late teens to find work. I'm suggesting for one moment that life is easy and that poverty isn't very real, only that social conditions have improved. Helped, of course, by contraception.

The young  are staying home. 

As an example, in 2001, P left home for Pattaya and after some other jobs, ended-up in BT. His twenty-one year-old nephew, both gay and cute (a winning combination) is happily living in the same village and with an enormously improved life style. Pad's family didn't even have electricity until 2000.

These responses are why I think it is best to try everything Pattaya has to offer - Boyztown, Sunee Plaza, Jomtien Complex, the apps, just cruising around, venues that cater to everyone, not primarily gays - whatever you can come up with - until you find what works best for you - or if nothing else, the least of the evils.

I also always suggest if you see a boy somewhere around town who attracts you, even if you are in a shopping mall or something, just start with hello and a smile.  If he rejects you then he rejects you.  You'll survive.  But sometimes it works.  I compare that tactic to fishing.  Some will get away, but every once in a while you reel one in.

You might consider making some cards or just carrying around a slip of paper with your name and telephone number and handing it to the boy if he seems responsive to your hello approach.  It doesn't even have to be your real name.  You never know - maybe you'll get a call.

And don't forget about boys working in shops, 7-Elevens, waiters in restaurants, delivery boys, etc.

The point is there are many more ways than only the bars to meet boys.  I actually prefer those ways - I like the challenge of it.  Over the years I've had many successes.  And if I can do it, for sure so can you, even if you don't speak much Thai.   I didn't always speak nearly as much Thai as I can speak now.  I realize living here means I have much more time than people on holiday who want to get everything in before they have to return home, but it is an option to try.

The days of being really picky seem to be over, hopefully only for the time being.  I think if the upcoming high season is really successful, that can be the beginning of a true comeback and perhaps will attract some of those rice farm twinks back to the bars.

If the current crop of boys just doesn't suit you, I suppose you'll either have to settle for second best or do without.  Even under current circumstances, if there is anywhere better than Thailand to search for your type, I'd like to know where . . .

17 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Gaybutton, 

Any tips on how / where to find English-speakers?

Nowhere in particular - just about anywhere.  You might be surprised at how many Thais speak acceptable to good English and can read English.  I'd say your best chance are venues that attract farang.  For example, a farang restaurant is likely to have more good English speakers than a pushcart vendor.

I've only been to Jomtien once and had an average time compared to Bangkok, but willing to give it another try - I like it because it is walking distance from the Suvarnabhumi bus station (I like to walk to most places - I'm scared of riding motorbikes, and haven't quite worked out how to use the baht bus) and it is near the beach where I like to hang out during the day. I'm just uncertain how to host bars work - when I was last there I had a bar guy come on to me quite strongly so I ended up offing him even though he wasn't really my type, but didn't know what to do lol. Another guy I offed I just found on Grindr. Gogo bars just seem easier. Any tips?

3 minutes ago, ichigo said:

and haven't quite worked out how to use the baht bus

just wave  at one, hop in when he stops, when you are close to your destination press the buzz button - plenty of those in the vehicle, alight , go to driver, pay him 10 baht and keep walking to your destination