12is12

Pattaya Questions, after Due Dilengence

On 9/2/2022 at 10:38 PM, 12is12 said:

1) If I understand correctly (on Sawatdee it's explicit), there are no gogo bars in Jomtien Complex; only host bars and saunas. Why then is it so popular, including staying at hotels there? Aren't most members here interested in the two action zones (SP, BT)? What am I missing?

Wow, so many replies within 24 hours. 

I used to choose hotels in or close to Boyztown, but one trip, the noise level annoyed me. Ever since, I have chosen to stay in Jomtien Complex, even though I hardly ever spend time in the Jomtien Complex bars (they do nothing for me). Only the Boyztown bars hold any interest for me. Not even the Sunee bars (RIP).

So why do I stay in Jomtien Complex? Proximity to the beach. 

There are really two things on my agenda when I am in Pattaya: boys (gogo) and beach. When I stayed in Boyztown to be near the bars, I had to commute every morning by Songtaew to Jomtien. Now, I stay in Jomtien Complex to be near the beach and commute every evening to Boyztown.

5 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Even under current circumstances, if there is anywhere better than Thailand to search for your type, I'd like to know where . . .

I'm always amazed at how many members here haven't ventured into Latin and South America......I love my trips to Asia (changes things up)  am amazed at the money people throw at some of the guys in Thailand.

Just back From Bogota ($20-$30, no off fess, no expensive drinks) and Panama, got a cute guy on Grindr for $35, there were others asking $80-100, Panama is more expensive overall...but has some real hotties that will negotiate down to $50.

I live in Mexico and it's a big country with gay places throughout.....then there is the motherload, Brasil.

I know guys that go strictly to latin countries because the "don't like Asians"....I'll never understand that either. I show pics of guys from Bali or Thailand and they think they are Latin.

Brasil and Mexico never closed during Covid either.....

On 9/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, 12is12 said:

I researched both here and on the other website. My google map is full of blues for hotels, greens - food, yellow stars - tourism, red hearts - sex venues.

Questions:

1) If I understand correctly (on Sawatdee it's explicit), there are no gogo bars in Jomtien Complex; only host bars and saunas. Why then is it so popular, including staying at hotels there? Aren't most members here interested in the two action zones (SP, BT)? What am I missing?

Jomtien Complex map

Perhaps seeing a map of the over 30 gay places to visit in the Jomtien Complex would help to answer your question 1) above.

I do note that there are no GoGo bars (at the moment) - but there are many host bars, restaurants, entertainment venues, hotels, and massage places.

Jomtien_Complex.jpg

14 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

The days of being really picky seem to be over, hopefully only for the time being.

I think this is true for Pattaya, but not necessarily for Bangkok, where I spend the great majority of my nights when I'm in Thailand. While the twinks have disappeared from DJ Station, doing so sometime around 2008, there seemed to have been plenty to choose from in the Soi Twilight-now-Patpong go-go bars, especially Screwboys. I found this to be true on several visits in the years leading up to covid. The problem of course is how easy it is to burn a gaping hole in my pocket as soon as I walk into one of these bars. The drink prices are beyond high. Then there are tips and other fees. Plus, I'd usually take whomever I might have taken a liking to out for more drinks or to DJ Station. Whereas years ago starting out with 7,000 baht in my wallet would be more than enough to sustain me, these days 7,000 baht simply is not enough.

So, despite my lack of Pattaya success over the decades I usually make my way there when I realize I have to stop spending so much.

Here's another interesting phenomenon. While Pattaya is much less expensive for us tourists, the guys I've met in the bars say Bangkok is the better deal for them. They can demand higher pay and, they say, their apartment rents are cheaper.

So I have to wonder, why do the bar boyz choose Pattaya over Bangkok?

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

Sounds like someone has never been there

Someone has.  I have not spent time in Colombia or Mexico, but before discovering Thailand I spent quite a bit of time in Argentina and especially Brazil.  Brazil to the point I became very good at speaking Portuguese.  Would you like to tell me again that I'm making assumptions?

I go by what I personally experienced, but I'm not going to get into a debate about where guys are hairy . . .

5 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

So I have to wonder, why do the bar boyz choose Pattaya over Bangkok?

Cost of living, particularly regarding accommodation. Often, this includes transport; most Pattaya guys live within walking distance of their bars in Pattaya and travel can be an issue in Bangkok.

Social interaction with friends on the scene. Often the Pattaya guys live close together in certain areas (near Tuc Com, for example) and frequently in the same building.

Guys looking for a LTR are more likely to find one in Pattaya, where visitors stay longer.  Some of the falangs in BKK are two -nighters on business trips, or are  moving onto other Thailand cities.

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

Cost of living, particularly regarding accommodation. Often, this includes transport; most Pattaya guys live within walking distance of their bars in Pattaya and travel can be an issue in Bangkok.

Social interaction with friends on the scene. Often the Pattaya guys live close together in certain areas (near Tuc Com, for example) and frequently in the same building.

Guys looking for a LTR are more likely to find one in Pattaya, where visitors stay longer.  Some of the falangs in BKK are two -nighters on business trips, or are  moving onto other Thailand cities.

Great insight! These guys are making a lot of economic calculations!

4 hours ago, Londoner said:

I tend to disagree "guys looking for LTR are more likely to find in Pattaya"

Sure,moneyboys that is,that are working the scene 

I think Bangkok and or Manila are the best in seeking LTR

17 minutes ago, Olddaddy said:

I think Bangkok and or Manila are the best in seeking LTR

Does Manila have a gay nightlife scene? Are there the equivalents of go-go bars, or G.O.D. or Silom Soi 4? In short, is it fun? Actually, I just looked it up on travelgay.com, and there seems to be a few show bars, a few bar-slash-restaurants and one gay nightclub. Sounds like it could be fun.

Edited by BiggusDikkus
add information

9 hours ago, Gaybutton said:

Someone has.  I have not spent time in Colombia or Mexico, but before discovering Thailand I spent quite a bit of time in Argentina and especially Brazil.  Brazil to the point I became very good at speaking Portuguese.  Would you like to tell me again that I'm making assumptions?

I go by what I personally experienced, but I'm not going to get into a debate about where guys are hairy . . .

Argentina def hairy....Brazil, never been with a hairy guy, never been with a white Brasilian....only brown for me and smooth. I lived in Brasil for a bit, the cost of sex at todays exchange rates....and let me remind you that it's great sex 99% of the time is about 1/2 that of Thailand, without the drama and up to you. 

I believe what keeps people from going is the language, in Thailand is easier to find someone that speaks bits of English than in many Latin countries.

14 hours ago, Shonen said:

I’ve wondered why the boys work in Pattaya and not Bangkok also. But maybe it’s the same reason why I prefer Pattaya over Bangkok, the slower pace and not so polluted environment. The rents are cheap and generally prices are lower.

their reasoning may be the same like ours.

They have different priorities and tend to pick up place  according to those. Some may be looking for difference in cost of accommodation or foods, other may follow where their friends are working  or to be as far as possible from their families ( I heard it from BKK natives working in Pattaya at least twice ).

Universal claim ' more customers ' I heard in both cities so obviously there's no uniform reason why they opt for either.

We , their customers too can dispute to no end advantages of either city. I for record am Bangkok fan but even at that I had one trip where I spent more time in Pattaya than in BKK 

I've had problems in Brasil, of my own doings. Alcohol makes you do stupid things.....

Wherever I go , I try to be aware of my surroundings and taking alcohol out of the equation, I haven't had problems in any of the countries I've mentioned.

You've been to some of the countries I've talked about.....as has Gaybutton. Look at Namazu, when I met him all he knew was Asia for the most part, look what happened to him after knowing about Brasil and Colombia 😆

I just can't wrap my head around how the Thai's and others get farang's so brainwashed into supporting them financially.

I've told this story here before: I was pretty good friends with Hugh Miller, he used to be the manager at Ambiance. We'd hang out in BBB or even in BKK and the stories he told of boys that claimed to work on farms (yet had hands smoother than mine) and had multiple foreigners sending them money for fake emergencies (even with photos). He used to laugh when the boy had 2 "Boyfriends" in town at the same time, he said it was like watching a 3 ring circus.

So, with that in mind....and I know, I know...everyone thinks their situation is "different", but is it?

Tomcal for all the years I've known him was the staunchest believer that how can a 20-30 yr old model LOVE a 70 yr old wrinkled ass, he knew it was the money that was the attraction. He used to say, tell the guy you're broke and lost all your money in the stock market, cut them off from all money and see how much time they stay with you.

Then he found someone who blatantly was using him, but for whatever reason thought it was love. He went against all advice he had been giving for more than 20 yrs and his response "this is different" 🙄 

This post went astray , the point being....it's a big world....lot's of other known and interesting places to explore and be a whore. Stop throwing money away so you can feel better about "helping" someone (get the latest iPhone) when there are people that could use the money for real.

On 9/3/2022 at 3:16 PM, Gaybutton said:

I truly am hoping for a major push to allow go-go bars in Jomtien Complex.  Assuming an ordinance really does exist prohibiting it, then it's time for that ordinance to be repealed.

Zack (@homebar) explained to me that the reason they won't re-zone the complex from a residential zone to entertainment, thus allowing gogo bars, is because the complex is actually sitting on "royal land" due to a royal residence Pratumnak way. 

3 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

Zack (@homebar) explained to me that the reason they won't re-zone the complex from a residential zone to entertainment, thus allowing gogo bars, is because the complex is actually sitting on "royal land" due to a royal residence Pratumnak way. 

I'd like to know where he got that from.  Maybe he's right, but i would like to know his source.  I've never heard any such thing.  There is a royal residence on Pratumnak, rarely used, but I have no idea what that would have to do with Jomtien Complex which is nowhere near.  Does that mean all of Jomtien is royal land extending at least from Pratumnak to the beach?  The Jomtien Complex venues pay their rent to whom?

Again, maybe he's right, but that makes no sense to me.  Why would royal land mean just about anything goes except go-go bars?   If it really is royal property that doesn't allow go-go bars, then why don't the venues try petitioning to get that revoked?  Nothing to lose by trying.

4 hours ago, floridarob said:

I just can't wrap my head around how the Thai's and others get farang's so brainwashed into supporting them financially.

I think I understand.  An older gay guy who prefers/enjoys the companionship of slight-build younger men is flattered when that young man fawns over him, pleases or slightly pleases him sexually, etc.  It's a relationship many guys don't have the opportunity of back home - so they don't want to let go.  Smart, intelligent (otherwise) farangs.  Such relationships/financing isn't limited to Thailand, as we know.  And it's not limited to just the gay community.  Straight men and Pinoy women (as one example) ... you see/hear a lot of the same commentary.  In the Philippines, it's not just the girl/young lady you help support ... but her extended family (sometimes true in Thailand).  I've known many young men in Mexico who have had 2 or 3 foreigners financially supporting them - at the same time.  I'd laugh watching the Mexicans juggling the visits of their backers/lovers (particularly in Acapulco).  "A fool and his money are soon parted" (Thomas Tusser).