reader

Why China’s young workers are choosing to ‘rot’ than work hard

From Channel News Asia

From 996 to ‘bai lan’: Why China’s young workers are choosing to ‘rot’ than work hard

Wang Yandong (left) gave up on what was 'unattainable', while Li Xiaolin wants to do what makes him comfortable.

BEIJING: Li Xiaolin leads a “tedious” life. He goes to work at his uncle’s vehicle inspection factory at 9am, six days a week. After completing his tasks — checking for mechanical faults like worn tyres or fuel leaks — he’s headed home by 5pm to eat and sleep. 

If his boss tells him to do something, he might say: “Can I do it tomorrow?” “Can you ask someone else to do it?” “Can I not do it?”

BEIJING: Li Xiaolin leads a “tedious” life. He goes to work at his uncle’s vehicle inspection factory at 9am, six days a week. After completing his tasks — checking for mechanical faults like worn tyres or fuel leaks — he’s headed home by 5pm to eat and sleep. 

If his boss tells him to do something, he might say: “Can I do it tomorrow?” “Can you ask someone else to do it?” “Can I not do it?”

To the Chinese youth, said battle looks like this: 10.8 million graduates are entering China’s workforce this year but the youth unemployment rate is at a record high of nearly 20 per cent. The country’s economic growth has moderated since 2010 and was recently dragged down by its COVID-19 lockdowns.

Income inequality in China is also among the highest in the world. 

This disillusionment among the young has worried president Xi Jinping, who has his eyes set on a national rejuvenation. At the 100th anniversary of the Communist Youth League of China in May, he called on them to offer their energy and creativity to the rejuvenation cause and not be intimidated by difficulties.

Social immobility is behind the bai lan phenomenon, said Alfred Wu, an associate professor at the Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy. 

He attributes it to the “burden of the three mountains” — education, healthcare and housing. 

Continues with video and photos

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/cna-insider/996-bai-lan-china-youths-workers-rot-work-slacker-2917476

On 9/3/2022 at 11:59 PM, floridarob said:

Sounds a lot like the USA these days 😏

I can't believe the USA has a 20% youth unemployment rate! 😀

But the article points out yet another problem on Xi's ever enlarging plate. I don't think China has faced so many problems since the Cultural Revolution. Compared to what is facing Xi, the Tiananmen Square incident in 1989 was merely a blip. It would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall to hear many conversations going on in Zhongnanhai, the compound for government leaders in Beijing. Is anyone likely to challenge Xi for the leadership as he must surely be vulnerable to being dethroned - but only if there is a movement amongst a number of the leadership and a credible alternative candidate prepared to take him on.