reader

420-Unfriendly hotels?

From Coconuts Bangkok

Bangkok’s hotels large and small had a resounding message today for guests wanting to blaze up: not here.

Though weed is now so legal that its sellers will soon outpace 7-Elevens, tourists flying in to score some ganja could be in for a rude awakening – without the baking – at their hotel of choice. 

“Absolutely not,” a representative from Novotel Bangkok Siam Square told Coconuts on Friday morning. “While weed isn’t illegal, bringing such drugs is not appropriate for hotels. If the guests are caught smoking, whether cigarettes or weed, they will be reprimanded on a case-by-case basis.”

Of 11 hotels contacted, all said they would not allow recreational smoking on their premises, and while some acknowledged it was not illegal, determined smokers could face fines for violating hotel policies. 

“Here at Banyan Tree, we do not have smoking areas for such activities, therefore weed isn’t allowed on the premises,” a hotel spokesperson said.

One major hotel said that it would tolerate a purple haze if it was for a documented medical purpose.

“At the moment, we do not allow guests to bring in weed for recreational purposes, but if they have a medical license and require it for their health condition, then we will allow it,” said a rep at Bangkok Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit.

But every other hotel was adamant that guests should not 420 in the rooms, on their roofs, or even poolside.

“We’re sorry, but we do not allow that,” a receptionist at the Shangri-La Hotel Bangkok said, politely. “It’s a bit of a sensitive topic.”

“Our rooms are non-smoking areas, so not only could you not smoke cigarettes or weed as well,” Asai Bangkok’s concierge said. “You’d be given a warning and may be fined if you were caught smoking.”

That’s not to say stealth smokers aren’t’ blazing their way, as you read this, through a gram of Gary Payton on some hotel balcony.

The Okura Prestige hedged a bit, saying it doesn’t allow smoking ”at this time.” Ibis Bangkok Sathorn gave a firm no, saying that tokin’ was verboten at all its branches.

Anantara Riverside, a resort known for decidedly sick riverside views, said it didn’t even want guests to bring in weed.

The most lax position wasn’t quite 420-friendly, but not really.

So Bangkok, over near Lumphini Park, nixed smoking but said edibles and drinks were fine so long as they were in “accordance with the current laws.” 

Since weed was decriminalized in June, Thailand has grappled with numerous unanswered questions that hadn’t been considered in its hasty rollout. Fly with buds on domestic flights? You bet. Smoke recreationally? Sure. Licenses required? Kind of but not really.

Enthusiasts, cultivators, and retailers are still waiting for passage of the Cannabis Act, which is going through a round of revisions in parliament for clearer rules (any rules, really).

Cannabis was decriminalised. It's not legal to walk around smoking it. 

A couple of bars in Jomtien Complex are allowing customers to smoke there. 
More bars are not allowing it. 

I have no interest, but others can do as they wish. I smell it everyday now, but I don't worry so much. My only concern is it will attract the wrong type of people. 

I generally think you shouldn't smoke indoors anywhere (cigarettes or weed) and I say this as a smoker.

I think those 5* hotels are right to not want people smoking at their properties, especially where they don't have rooms with private balconies. Weed smoke can be pretty strong and it lingers a lot, even common areas that allow smoking and outdoor seating at bars aren't a good place for it.

As Gaybuttom mentions, the fines can be pretty steep for smoking it in public if someone gets offended and calls the boys in brown.

If I plan to partake, I would just book a hotel with a private balcony and do it there, avoid any issues.

3 hours ago, gayinpattaya said:

Cannabis was decriminalised. It's not legal to walk around smoking it. 

A couple of bars in Jomtien Complex are allowing customers to smoke there. 
More bars are not allowing it. 

I have no interest, but others can do as they wish. I smell it everyday now, but I don't worry so much. My only concern is it will attract the wrong type of people. 

Sitting near smokers affects my throat , hope those bars know what they are doing ,maybe the smokers are big spenders!  

Then I would understand 

I remember the first time I went to Vietnam. I was sitting on the porch,  facing the street, of a bar in the hip backpacker enclave writing postcards when all of a sudden there was a quiet shuffle. I looked up and saw everyone at every other table taking out their weed and rolling joints. I asked the guy at the next table what in the world was going on, and he said the police go home at midnight. I looked at my watch -- it was 1997 and we still wore timepieces around our wrists back then -- and sure enough it was 12:01. So I sat there drinking Ba Ba Ba and getting high with my new best friend. With the entire, bar, really. It turned out Saigon had a pretty tight, fun-loving expat community. I had a fantastic night! So I wouldn't mind if that kind of scene were to come to Thailand.

Rewind several decades, to the late 1970s, when my friends and I were discovering that with our newly earned driver's licenses we could do stuff like drive ourselves to the major league baseball stadium, sneak bongs into the game, go sit high up in the cheap seats and get stoned while watching America's past time. Fact was the entire upper deck of the stadium was filled with young people getting stoned and passing joints to whomever was in the next seat. We were mellow and having a good time. Meanwhile, in the other cheap seats, beyond the outfield, the fans had been drinking beer all night long and by the seventh inning of every game several fights would break out. Alcohol, we decided while still in high school, is a much more harmful drug than weed. So again, I don't mind the decriminalization of pot or people who get high.

But when I was in college, every time I smoked up I ended up getting terribly paranoid. Oh my god! What am I doing! Why am I smoking pot when I should be studying! I'm going to fail all my classes, get kicked out of school and end up homeless! So I never smoked again -- except for one night in Saigon when I just couldn't resist imbibing in a totally new experience. I have friends back home, though, who have never stopped. They're all successful with plenty of money and thinking about retiring. I don't think of them as the wrong type of people.  

8 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

But when I was in college, every time I smoked up I ended up getting terribly paranoid.

you were probably smoking a more sativa mix back then - the more cerebral weed vs indica, the more body high weed.  Everyone’s body chemistry is different & the legal weed nowadays tends to get stronger & stronger - essential to take it slow & figure out what works.  

The sativas can give the paranoid effect when you’re not used to it.  Indica is better for sex or anything sensory IMO.  

Watch out for the edibles 

1 hour ago, Slvkguy said:

The sativas can give the paranoid effect when you’re not used to it.  Indica is better for sex or anything sensory IMO.  

Wow, awesome! Thanks for the advice! Pot is legal in my home state now, and my friends definitely partake. Now when I go back home to visit and they ask me to join them I'll know to ask for Indica.

A side note: Even when I was in high school I tended to get terribly paranoid on pot, but there were, of course, some good times, too. The "brand names back then were stuff like Oregon Purple Hair and Maui Wowy. I remember one particularly good bong session when I couldn't stop laughing. The name of the stuff -- Thai Stick.

15 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

Wow, awesome! Thanks for the advice! Pot is legal in my home state now, and my friends definitely partake. Now when I go back home to visit and they ask me to join them I'll know to ask for Indica.

A side note: Even when I was in high school I tended to get terribly paranoid on pot, but there were, of course, some good times, too. The "brand names back then were stuff like Oregon Purple Hair and Maui Wowy. I remember one particularly good bong session when I couldn't stop laughing. The name of the stuff -- Thai Stick.

My favorite “brand” used to be Skunk Special circa 1990s in Amsterdam: Strong smell and velvety high