abidismaili

Anyone else checked the latest airline prices ?

6 minutes ago, scott456 said:

Airfare is about 1.5x to 2x of the price before this summer.  I traveled 2 longhaul round trips this summer, business classes were all full.

Must be a lot of money around , no poor people nowadays 😂

35 minutes ago, vinapu said:

why you worry ? That's poor people problem

I am poor !!!

Despite being over 60 I still use the backpackers & fly economy 😉👍

If the recession comes along I may have to rent my ass 😂

Of course depends from where and I have been looking-mostly simple overview google.flights a few monthes & waiting &waiting-till all these extra requirements fell-and then waited&waited till the OK for the 45 days (more as 30-no visa hassle for longer stay) and then looked again&again-and the prices only grew higher. Singy is not in them-and strangely this was a lot cheaper from nearby airport in other country-but still, then you look-with +20 hrs transit wait in Changi.

Last yrs I mostly used Swiss, coming from EURope, as the transit break halfway in the Mid-East disturbs any chance on sleep etc. But they now have extra to pay for luggage etc-total price was indeed near double pre-covid and even >1000. And they also changed the timings a lot.

Saudi now offers also flites-dry of course and change in their homeland-now the lowest priced, but pretty bad reviews. Never used them, but plenty of other airlines from arab countries.

So just a few days bit the bullet, forked out about 250 more as usual long ago and booked in the AB380 on EK =emirates, coming back long wait in Dubai. Could not fit in kratong, thats a pity, and not yet counting the days till.

Abdismaili, I guess you from Malaysia, selamat malam dari disini, so its for you I think AirAsia-and they are really in the doldrums due to covid-here in EURope these lowcost airlines are also now about double or more for short flights. There also used to be Malindo (allied to Indonesia LIONair-bad safety record), in Thailand trading as ThaiLionAir, but I have no idea if they still fly.

• Members

I checked yesterday and coach fares were $2000 RT LAX/BKK.

I priced a Business Class trip on American, with a stopover in Taipei, and it was $24,000, although that might have been First Class.

Can you imagine the couple that would spend $50k RT to Asia? You could feed so many people for that.

I think the issue is that more countries are opening over there but the flight numbers haven't caught up to the demand yet. And of course we keep hearing about pilot and staff shortages, fuel expenses, etc. So it all adds up. A friend of mine was looking at flights to Japan from SFO in November and it was over $2k in economy. But she did note that there are just not many flight options at this point because the country has been closed so long. They're supposed to be opening back up soon, so I expect more flights will get added. And more flights through Japan will probably mean more connections available to SE Asia.

I recently used my Thai Airlines miles for a round trip to Bangkok from the end of November to the beginning of December. Before COVID, I would have to pay from $20 to $40 in fees. This time I had to pay about $300 in fees. Still, that was much less than half what I'd have to pay if I chose to use money and fly with a "budget" airline.

Now I'm struggling with the decision of whether to use some of my hotel points that I bought during the early part of the pandemic when Marriott was offering deals of 40% more points. Now I see that the hotels are charging a lot more points than they were before the pandemic. So I supported Marriott when no one could stay at its hotels, and now those hotels are punishing me for doing so. Grrr.

1 hour ago, floridarob said:

just looked NYC-BKK $837 on ANA roundtrip October .....$925 Cathay

$881 ANA from Lax

Those are great fares! I booked nyc-bkk round trip two months ago on Emirates for $1500. Could have gotten Eva for $1100, but that was best on google flights.

I used miles to book on Qatar biz class to the UK about 2 months ago. Unfortunately it was the time when fuel was its most expensive. Also as Qatar now add in to the surcharges lounge access and seat selection (if you pay for a ticket these are now extra costs), the extra charges were over $1,000. But I had to use up the miles or lose them - so you pay your money and take your choice!

3 hours ago, BiggusDikkus said:

Now I'm struggling with the decision of whether to use some of my hotel points that I bought during the early part of the pandemic when Marriott was offering deals of 40% more points. Now I see that the hotels are charging a lot more points than they were before the pandemic. So I supported Marriott when no one could stay at its hotels, and now those hotels are punishing me for doing so. Grrr.

I was lucky in buying points when Marriott made its first offer during the pandemic. My purchase of 100,000 points got a bonus of 70% and seemed quite a bargain. The latest offer is around 25%, But I knew that Marrriott would just increase the number of points required for most hotels - especially at the top end. And so it has proved although I'll still come out slightly better.