abidismaili

Anyone else checked the latest airline prices ?

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

LHR-BKK on EVA Air Business Class in July, £3000. In November, £3000. In March 2023, £2500. I surmise from this that the hike in prices we experienced recently is over.

Hopefully but not necessarily. The price goes up as the plane fills up. Eg in Eva first the Business Basic sells out then the prices move to Business Standard and then Business Up. Supply and Demand

Guest guest_BenG1000

In July I paid 4800AUD (from Perth, AU), next week I paid 5800AUD and for my trip end Nov I paid 4600AUD ... it doesn't really make sense. I thought Nov would be the most expensive being high season. Time of booking in advance, was about the same. On the other hand, Thai Airways wanted 7000AUD for a direct flight to BKK in Nov ... dreaming ... I will keep flying SIA.

Hotels however, wow pricing has gone skyrocket for November..

4 hours ago, khaolakguy said:

Hopefully but not necessarily. The price goes up as the plane fills up. Eg in Eva first the Business Basic sells out then the prices move to Business Standard and then Business Up. Supply and Demand

Yes, true. Book early! But comparing March prices  with the one I paid for in July and my up-coming November flight, the fact remains that prices are stable.  

2 hours ago, Londoner said:

Yes, true. Book early! But comparing March prices  with the one I paid for in July and my up-coming November flight, the fact remains that prices are stable.  

Stable? Direct flight Amsterdam to Bangkok with KLM for October is around 1300 EUR.  Used to be around the 700 mark.  You call that stable ?

Not many airlines fly out of Perth and ticket prices are ridiculous. Business class fares on Cathay Pacific to Japan have tripled! 

The fare on my last trip before Covid was around $4500 return. Now it's $11750. 

And due to tough Japanese government restrictions on visiting Japan, I have to book through a travel agency. 

I really can't justify paying out that much for what amounts to 28 hours flying time. That's hardly value for money. And to make matters worse, I've invited a friend to come with me. Had I known how much it would cost I would never have invited him. 

I haven't paid for the tickets yet; I've just asked the travel agency to hold the seats for me while I decide what to do. 

The consultant did say that prices would probably come down early next year but I want to go over Christmas and New Year, as I do every year. A friend reserves a large suite in a beautiful hotel - he pays for it - and we all get together for our own New Year party. So I don't want to go next year - that's too late.

I've got until Tuesday to make up my mind. I think I might give it a miss. 

2 hours ago, a-447 said:

Not many airlines fly out of Perth and ticket prices are ridiculous. Business class fares on Cathay Pacific to Japan have tripled! 

The fare on my last trip before Covid was around $4500 return. Now it's $11750. 

And due to tough Japanese government restrictions on visiting Japan, I have to book through a travel agency. 

I really can't justify paying out that much for what amounts to 28 hours flying time. That's hardly value for money. And to make matters worse, I've invited a friend to come with me. Had I known how much it would cost I would never have invited him. 

I haven't paid for the tickets yet; I've just asked the travel agency to hold the seats for me while I decide what to do. 

The consultant did say that prices would probably come down early next year but I want to go over Christmas and New Year, as I do every year. A friend reserves a large suite in a beautiful hotel - he pays for it - and we all get together for our own New Year party. So I don't want to go next year - that's too late.

I've got until Tuesday to make up my mind. I think I might give it a miss. 

$11,750 😳Perth to Tokyo?

I was going to agree with you in giving it a miss , but I guess it depends on your wealth and most importantly your age .

Not sure how old you are but if in late 70's I say go for it ,you can't take it with you and it will be a lifetime experience you enjoy .

Having said that, isn't there a cheaper premium economy? 

1 minute ago, Lonnie said:

That's $8000 US....OMG ..they are thieves...business class for you guys is a must?

I can't fly anything else other than business for long trips .

I put up with economy from Bangkok to Manila last July ,that was very cramped and painful.

probably paying that much for business class is way too much ,of course if your in your 70's or older and financially secure I say go for it ,you don't know how long you have left,no use saving it ,go out and enjoy I say ! 😊

Nothing wrong with Eva air prices from London in economy. Most dates, including December, £800 return. More or less same as before.

Business is a different matter...over £3000. This is the pattern over all airlines. Reason is simply that people haven’t travelled for some time and have the money available. 

Airlines are taking advantage. 

• Members

It's an Asian thing evidently. Now that summer is over and we're suddenly in Off Peak (kids in school), airfares in US and EU are back to normal. Flights in the US and to EU are the same as last year. Within the EU is a little worse because of government's demand that flights be cut so people use trains more. And Switzerland's higher because Swiss is more a monopoly than before. Otherwise same as a year ago. 

7 hours ago, bucky13 said:

All you prima donnas that would surely die if you had to sit in coach deserve those ridiculously high prices.  🤣

Well, I don't "deserve" anything, as I have no control over fares - I'm at the mercy of the airlines. I certainly didn't do anything to "deserve" such a ridiculous fare.

I wouldn't "surely die" if I had to sit in coach (economy), just like I'd surely survive if I had to eat fish fingers for dinner rather than something nicer. It's a lifestyle choice.

Olddaddy, I never give a thought to how long I've got left as I've still got a way to go before I hit my late 70s. I also believe it's no use dying with lots of unspent money in the bank so I don't have any trouble going out and spending it.  I'm a shopaholic, afterall.

But I want value for money. That's all I think about before I bring out the credit card. I'm trying to tell myself that the value is there because I'll get to catch up with my friends in Tokyo and enjoy our traditional  "bounenkai" (忘年会) after having missed out the past few years. It's why I invited a friend, as I wanted him to enjoy it with me.

I'm still working hard on convincing myself.

10 minutes ago, a-447 said:

Well, I don't "deserve" anything, as I have no control over fares - I'm at the mercy of the airlines. I certainly didn't do anything to "deserve" such a ridiculous fare.

I wouldn't "surely die" if I had to sit in coach (economy), just like I'd surely survive if I had to eat fish fingers for dinner rather than something nicer. It's a lifestyle choice.

Olddaddy, I never give a thought to how long I've got left as I've still got a way to go before I hit my late 70s. I also believe it's no use dying with lots of unspent money in the bank so I don't have any trouble going out and spending it.  I'm a shopaholic, afterall.

But I want value for money. That's all I think about before I bring out the credit card. I'm trying to tell myself that the value is there because I'll get to catch up with my friends in Tokyo and enjoy our traditional  "bounenkai" (忘年会) after having missed out the past few years. It's why I invited a friend, as I wanted him to enjoy it with me.

I would do it !

You sound like you enjoy going there , otherwise it's missed opportunity and who knows wait another 12 months and airfares not much difference.

You can't take it with you ,and if you have enough then spend it on the airfare and go !

2 hours ago, a-447 said:

What will do over Xmas if you don't go ? Whats the alternative?

16 minutes ago, abidismaili said:

I am surprised how many people here post the business class prices. Looks like a number of the forum members are wealthy people. Looking at this thread you will get the idea at least 50% flies business 

Many of us are old so have saved the money overtime, I'm certainly not wealthy I'm still working.