reader

Another flying farang, this time in Bangkok

From the Thaiger / Asean Now

An American man met his demise in the greater Bangkok suburb of Nontha Buri after plummeting out of the ninth-floor window of a rental building. For some reason, falling deaths, especially those of foreigners, have been an increasingly common occurrence in Thailand.

In this most recent incident, a man that Pak Kret police identified as Mr Campi was reported to have fallen out of a window on the ninth story of a building in Muang Thong Thani in the Nontha Buri province. He was 43 years old and died from a head injury sustained from the massive fall.

Me Campi had rented a storage unit in the building, but it was on the eighth floor. A witness said that they had spotted the man smoking a cigarette on the floor above his rental unit near the window that he later fell out of, though there are no reported witnesses to the actual fall.

A security guard heard a loud noise when the incident occurred, but he attributed it to the regular thrum of traffic that passes by the building each day and did not think anything was unusual at the time. Then a van driver spotted the American man on the ground and reported it to the guard who contacted authorities.

The Ruam Katanya Rescue Service arrived alongside the Pak Kret Police to investigate the scene and the body of the American man was transferred to Thammasat Hospital in nearby Rangsit for an autopsy to be performed.

Now, police have set about contacting friends and relatives of the deceased American to try to put together any information about him and what happened in the moments leading up to his death. They said that investigators will keep an open mind about the incident for now and have not judged it suicide or ruled out any foul play so far.

Strange, I wonder if there was anybody inside with him?

If I was going to commit suicide I wouldn't pick jumping off a building or throwing myself in front of a train ....but I guess they must be very very depressed at the time .

Very sad .

I've written this before a few years ago. One reason I could not end it all by jumping from a high floor. I know from an experience I had around 25 years ago that there are times when time itself seems to move much more slowly. Having arrived at Shanghai's Hongqiao airport one evening I had stepped on to what I thought was terra firma. In fact someone had moved a small section of a grille at the side of the parking lot right where I was to get into a hotel car. My right foot went into the hole and I had quite a bad fall when I was certain I would break my leg. I didn't, but I remember so well how that fleeting 2 seconds or so seemed much more like 10 or more. So my fear would be that as I fell from a height, maybe time would again slow down. And what if I suddently realised half way down that I had forgotten to do something very important?

• Members

Far too often I read news about a farang falling from some upper floor of a building.  This seems to go on far too frequently in lovely Thailand.   Why is there such a frequency here when I don't hear about it in the USA or other Nations?  Makes me wonder if this is not some preferred Thai kind murder.  Perhaps I am just too suspicious but it does happen far too often.

Kind of related to this topic - I was recently apartment/condo hunting with some real estate agents. It was difficult to find a decent apartment in front of Dongtan beach. I asked the agent why - when at night time perhaps only 20% of the condos are illuminated at night. I said, where are the other 80% of the condo owners?

She replied, well have you heard of the PFC (Pattaya Flying Club) ?

I said yes. She said that some of those dark condos that you see at night cannot be rented or sold because of Thai superstition of ghosts.

I said, if we find one, can you help me get a monk to ask the ghosts to leave before moving in ?

I remember a few years ago going to Viewtalay 6, next to Central Festival, for drinks in a friend's condo, only to be stopped by police as we tried to drive into the car park, only to see a Sawangboriboon Foundation ambulance leaving. We drove in to see blood all over the ground. It was apparently a young farang who asked an agent to let him look around a couple of the condos on his own only to go to the highest one and jump off. I think he was only in his early thirties. Then only a few weeks later another young farang jumped off the top floor inside Central Festival, narrowly missing a baby in a pram as he hit the ground floor. So sad. Clearly not thinking clearly when he put others at risk when jumping inside such a busy shopping centre.