Riobard

CHECK-MIG observations

• Members

This online health declaration can be stressful. I had previously read about hassles and glitches getting to successfully completing it, as well as efforts to trouble-shoot. There are third party companies offering to assist for a fee! 

There are likely more experienced travel ‘paisaxperts’ here that will weigh in. 

First of all, the timing prior to departure is ambiguous. It is either 1-24 hours prior to touching down in Colombia, or possibly 72 hours (that makes more sense). I opted for completing it 23 hours prior to arrival, but a pop-up emerged suggesting no more than 72 hours prior to arrival. Which is it?! I asked fellow travellers in the Immigration queue in Colombia and nobody seemed to know. 

One must also need to complete it to depart Colombia. Since the initial form lasts 30 days, I wonder what fun and games will ensue upon trying to use the system again for a new purpose when the system already has me registered for arrival and might not free up a departure application. 

The airline in Canada emphasized it would absolutely be needed to board. I was late at night struggling with it prior to very early morning call for flight. 

I completed the form but received no “receipt” of acceptance or proof either within the site or by email. I understand there is no QR code. I will attach what it looks like, from someone posting it in Google images, so I don’t need to spend time redacting mine. 

I tried again several times but kept getting a prompt indicating I was already registered. Eventually, going back and entering a few dozen times to no avail, a receipt finally emerged a few hours later, within the application, not via email. Crisis averted and I was able to get at least a few hours sleep without worrying about navigating it again on check-in at the airport.

Interestingly, it has recently added a VARV screening, also see attached. Good thing I am not prone to hives when frustratingly pulling my hair out meeting mandatory form completion and receipt proof that is elusive owing to system problems. 

I assume the Immigration officer accessed the declaration when scanning my passport upon arrival.

6D2566FA-B87C-430F-9D77-14D549348306.png

D8F9017F-BD6E-4AA2-8C00-A2DFB49CA25E.jpeg

• Members

The Check-mig app and mobile website are nightmares and a case study in shitty User Interface design for small screens.  Just trying to "click" on the correct radio buttons on the questionnaire could trigger PTSD. Or worse.

I make a point of filling out the form on the website from the comfort of my desktop 48 hours prior to departure and have never had an issue. That way I can print a copy of the completed submission (shown above) and to have a screen of same on my phone as a backup.

Ironically on my last trip in May I wasn't asked for my Check-mig but I assume that it was already on the agent's screen and she chose not to request it.

• Members

Yes, I have read the App is even worse than using the website version on one’s smartphone. I have not had a PC or printer in almost a decade. Anyway, good to know from you that the window is under 72 hours, providing more time for dealing with setbacks than the mere 24-hour window, considering door-to-door travel itself was 18 hours. COPA in Montreal said it was mandatory and are accustomed to apologizing about not being able to facilitate the task. I was not asked at JMC arrival but, as I said, passport was scanned and I assume was linked. Long queue; I was tired but had the advantage of being first off the plane and wait was but minutes. Suitcase immediately ready, and in bed at Hotel Movich Las Lomas next door 15 minutes later. 

On 9/29/2022 at 6:47 PM, iendo said:

check-mig was a drama.

If I remember correctly, if you tried to complete it on the website, you couldn't choose a date. It would always chose the present day. That forced you to the app, with all the above named issues 🤪

I by mistake went to other website that isn't relevant anymore now I see it's free.

I made a demo booking there and observed any issue with the dates.

On 9/29/2022 at 7:19 PM, vinapu said:

very encouraging all that above.

I'd opt for Mexico instead , none of that nonsense either way. I just returned few days ago

I am planning one week to Cancun Mexico on my upcoming trip to Mexico, I noticed that the Mexican immigration requires registration form prior arrival as well .

42 minutes ago, Boy69 said:

, I noticed that the Mexican immigration requires registration form prior arrival as well .

Not anymore, there are 3 cities doing a test of no immigration forms, just your passport....Cancun is one of them.

Cancun gay scene is limited to apps, mileroticos, a couple of other shitty sites and 2 gay bars in centro.....I only stay in Cancun for like 1 or 2 nights at the most and only go when I need to get a flight from there because it's cheaper or using Copa airlines.....not my favorite city in Mexico at  all.

5 hours ago, floridarob said:

Not anymore, there are 3 cities doing a test of no immigration forms, just your passport....Cancun is one of them.

I was required to fille customs for but not immigration form in Puerto Vallarta just recently. We were told that no immigration forms are required for stays up to 7 days. How true is that , I don't know.

Definitely no pre-flight registration nonsenses

• Members

Worked like a charm, the departure version from Colombia that is, as I leave soon to return home. I had the completed document within the system within 2 minutes of opening the application. Took a screenshot and also emailed it (pdf?) to myself. The one oddity is the drop down menu for Quebec province only had one city: Quebec, as an option to choose when prompted to enter city following nation and province.

On 10/1/2022 at 8:45 AM, floridarob said:

not my favorite city in Mexico at  all.

I lived in Cancun for a year, but this was back in early 2000. There used to be one club and one bar dancing that I frequented. I don't even remember the names, but they were in old town. I lived directly behind the bar dancing.

It was very popular to go to parties during the weekends. These parties were at people's houses, but as a tourist you would not know about this.

Most people (me included) used internet café's for their daily internet needs. If I remember, gay.com had a chat via web browser. I had some real stunners in Cancun. My problem was that I had stayed in Mexico City the first month of my arrival in Mexico, so I went from being able to score 1 or 2 boys a day in CDMX to 1 or 2 a week in Cancun. Money was never involved.

I have not been back to Cancun since then, and I can imagine that there is nothing left but maybe the Strip.

The humidity in Cancun was a nightmare.

• Members
22 minutes ago, caeron said:

Smallpox? Really? When was this app made?

The Monkeypox question had been tacked on to the health declaration at a point when case incidence appeared to be increasing in Colombia, and Latin American nations were not readily accessing MVA-BN vaccine. Their use of the term smallpox was a misnomer, and was overly simplistic because both known contact exposures and symptoms would have been relevant at the time. It was still included this January.