reader

Skytrax's top airlines for 2022

From CNN

Skytrax, a UK-based airline and airport review and ranking site, conducted more than 14 million customer surveys in more than 100 countries between September 2021 to August 2022 to find out the world's current favorite airline.

The world's top 20 airlines in 2022, according to Skytrax

1. Qatar Airways
2. Singapore Airlines
3. Emirates
4. ANA (All Nippon Airways)
5. Qantas Airways
6. Japan Airlines
7. Turkish Airlines
8. Air France
9. Korean Air
10. Swiss International Air Lines
11. British Airways
12. Etihad Airways
13. China Southern Airlines
14. Hainan Airlines
15. Lufthansa
16. Cathay Pacific
17. KLM
18. EVA Air
19. Virgin Atlantic
20. Vistara

World's Best Cabin Staff
Singapore Airlines
World's Best Airline Cabin Cleanliness
ANA All Nippon Airways
World's Best Independent Airport Lounge
Plaza Premium
World's Best Business Class Lounge
Virgin Atlantic
World's Best Leisure Airline
SunExpress
World's Best Low-Cost Airline/Best Low-Cost Airline in Asia
AirAsia
Best Low-Cost Airline in Europe
Ryanair
Best Low-Cost Airline in North America
Southwest Airlines
Best Low-Cost Airline in Africa
FlySafair
World's Best Long Haul Low-Cost Airline
Scoot

World's Best in Class Airlines
The World Best First Class Airline: Singapore Airlines
The World's Best Business Class Airline: Qatar Airways
The World's Best Premium Economy Class Airline: Virgin Atlantic
The World's Best Economy Class Airline: Emirates

==================================

From Aviation Week

Air France safety culture said to need improvement

Air France is expanding flight data sharing with its pilots and plans a comprehensive audit of its flight operations--changes prompted at least in part by criticism from French safety investigators who say the airline's safety culture needs improvement.

The moves were revealed in a recently released report by French air accident bureau (the BEA) on a December 2020 Air France A330 diversion. The crew was found to have deviated from published procedures without sufficient justification and did not sufficiently weigh the risk of fire in the air or on the ground.

Cathay Pacific was always at or near the top half dozen. Clearly its massive reduction in flights due to covid have resulted in its drop to #16. For two or three years Hainan Airlines was near the top as its service was pretty spectacular based on reports both by posters here and on the Skytrax website. But it overstretched itself and had debt that a year ago was $170 billion! The annual report listed "major uncertainties" about its ability to continue flying. The restructuring has clearly affected route structure and service.

As a regular on Qatar for long haul, I agree its biz class is very hard to beat. I am really surprised about the inclusion of Swiss, though. On the Skytrax comments site, the last ten comments starting 23 September have been frightful. Out of a maximum of 10, flyers have given the airline 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1.  This is partcularly bad given that one comment for Premium Economy has a 1 and one for biz class has only a 2. This is worse even than Scoot where the last 10 economy comments were 1, 2, 1, 1, 4, 1, 1, 3, 1, 2.

The annual survey apart, I do think the overall Skytrax comments pages are misleading because they lump all classes together. About 4 years ago I wrote to Skytrax suggesting it is fairer to likely passengers to split the comments into separate sections. By including biz and first class, the overall general star rating is inevitably skewed upwards. I got no reply.

Qantas at #5 is being very generous, I would place them well outside the top 10 now.  Of late their maintenance, cleaning and on time departures has deteriorated greatly and their lost luggage percentage has skyrocketed. Domestically their meals are about 1% above garbage, it never was the best but now even worse. What can be the cause of such a deterioration? To put it simply, senior management is the cause, they are driven by cost cutting to the extreme and yet they give themselves (top executives and the board) ridiculous pay rises and bonuses whilst sacking their workers and outsourcing to the cheapest possible alternatives. With so many airlines above them and those improving their services I see a rather bleak future for Qantas. I really feel for their employees as they have to put up with all the cost cutting and rubbish handed down (more like thrown at them) by management. Sorry, rant over. 

11 minutes ago, vinapu said:

My best airline is one which takes me  to my destination cheapest and in connection is necessary , with no more than 3 hrs.

I have no problem flying Gambia Air or Mauritania Airlines 

I heard a story about a virtuoso classical pianist named Cherkassky who died in 1995 before the internet was used for airline bookings. For much of his life he lived in London. His hobby was learning much of the massive two-volume ABC Airlines Timetable published every month. He then enjoyed going into a travel agency and telling the lady behind the counter that he'd like to book a flight from London to Sydney. "That will be no problem," would be the regular reply. "Oh, but I think there may be a problem because I want a number of stops and I want the cheapest ticket."

He'd then reel off a list of cities and dates he wanted en route. Typical would be Basle, Lodz in Poland, Ankara, Ahmadabad, Chiang Mai (being gay he frequently visited Thailand), Urumqi, Kagoshima and Surabaya. A stupefied lady would then tell him she'd do her best but it might take her 2 days to do all the checking. No problem, he'd say, but it must be the quickest individual flights and the cheapest ticket.

2 days later he'd return and see the same lady. "Well, sir, you really gave me a difficult task but I've finally got information on the ticket you requested." She'd then give him a print out of all the flights, flight changes en route, stop-overs and arrival time in Sydney. At the bottom would be the price. "And you can confirm this has the fastest connections, the earliest arrival in Sydney and the cheapest price?" Yes sir, would be the reply.

In his high-pitched voice a smile would come over his face. Looking straight at her, he say, "You're WRONG!" He had worked out a better routing at a slightly cheaper price! And of course he didn't even want to book any ticket. Not a pleasant man!

10 minutes ago, TMax said:

Qantas at #5 is being very generous, I would place them well outside the top 10 now.

We all rant about airlines. It's rather like a national sport! 😀 But please remember that the Skytrax list was compiled from passenger surveys from September 2021 till August 2022. 

I also think there is virtually an inbuilt feeling amongst many surveyed that they should vote for their national airline.

9 hours ago, PeterRS said:

I also think there is virtually an inbuilt feeling amongst many surveyed that they should vote for their national airline.

Of course there's always the time-honored method of getting what you want.

Qatar Paid $880 Million In Bribes To FIFA To Secure The 2022 World Cup

According to a bombshell report in yesterday’s Sunday Times, the tiny but disproportionately wealthy and influential peninsula state of Qatar bribed FIFA officials to the tune of $880 million in order to secure its bid to play host to the 2022 World Cup.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/report-qatar-paid-880-million-bribes-fifa-secure-josh-hammer

14 hours ago, PeterRS said:

rt! 😀 

I think you  right although number of British  venting against BA is surprisingly high.

And I would t vote for my national as they rarely have the best price to destinations of my interest.

5 hours ago, reader said:

Of course there's always the time-honored method of getting what you want.

Qatar Paid $880 Million In Bribes To FIFA To Secure The 2022 World Cup

According to a bombshell report in yesterday’s Sunday Times, the tiny but disproportionately wealthy and influential peninsula state of Qatar bribed FIFA officials to the tune of $880 million in order to secure its bid to play host to the 2022 World Cup.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/report-qatar-paid-880-million-bribes-fifa-secure-josh-hammer

I,m shocked that FIFA officials were so modest in their requests.

It one reasons I don,t plan to get excited about this year ,s tournament.

When IOC granted 1996 games to Atlanta instead of Athens for centenary of Olympics they did outstanding  job of converting me from guy who took vacations to watch Olympics to one who doesn t give a fuck about them and this was instant !

The Top 20 list was collected from customer surveys, which are "independent and impartial," UK-based Skytrax said in a release. Travelers were asked about areas like customer service, comfort, and cleanliness, with over 350 airlines being named in the survey results. 

Maybe I've overlooked it, but there is no link to survey results, methodology, details, etc.  Lacking more information, it's an article/survey self-promotion and irrelevant.  If I'm mistaken, someone please point it out.  Providing a link to articles that are posted here instead of just copying/pasting texts will be appreciated.  Thank you.

11 hours ago, vinapu said:

virtually an inbuilt feeling

I'd rather have rats gnaw on my face than vote for Air Canada as a top airline. But maybe it's just so bad it's a special case. They've been blaming the federal government for all the delays at Canadian airports, and it shares the blame, but I think the bigger problem are the alrlines fault for not rehiring enough ground staff and air crew and overselling.