12is12

Pattaya: how to drive to touristic sites?

I love driving in Thailand...at least in rural areas. However, be advised that an accident, even if it is not your your fault, is likely to put you to enormous inconvenience. The falang is always in the wrong because, had he stayed in his own country, the accident wouldn't have happened. This is also true in Bali and, I suspect, elsewhere in the region.

Because of this, P insists that we now hire a driver and I take the advice of a resident above my own feelings. We've rented in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Krabi and Phuket; the prices are barely higher than renting, which is itself cheap compared to the UK. Around 1000bht for about six hours, as I recall.

By the way, it also enables a better view of Thailand's wonderful scenery.

11 hours ago, Londoner said:

The falang is always in the wrong because, had he stayed in his own country, the accident wouldn't have happened.

Is this something you've heard or read and accepted as fact?  I heard that about 20 years ago.  Doesn't it sound as utterly absurd to you as it does to me?

I'm living proof that it is just not true, but you are by no means the only one who thinks it is.  It is nothing but a nonsense rumor that somebody started years ago, and as a result many believe it really works that way.  WRONG!  It's another one of those things that is pure horse dung, but if repeated often enough people start believing it.  Can you imagine your insurance company accepting that idea?  It's right up there with the belief that Thais don't get upset when someone close dies because of their belief in the next life.  Go to a Thai funeral.  Then tell me all about how they don't get upset.

Twice I was involved in accidents, one in which the Thai driver of the other vehicle suffered a broken bone, and in both instances the police blamed and fined the Thai driver - not me.  And so, by the way, did his insurance company.  I also know of other accidents involving farang and the Thai driver was blamed.

Just like it is supposed to be, if you are at fault, you'll be blamed.  If the Thai driver is at fault, the Thai driver will be blamed.

The idea that "the farang is always in the wrong because, had he stayed in his own country, the accident wouldn't have happened" is absolutely ridiculous.  I can't cite a single verified instance when that ever happened and I doubt either can you or anyone else - and for a very simple reason.  It never happened. 

Don't forget - if you stayed in your own country you wouldn't have been the victim of a pickpocket, wouldn't have been shortchanged by a baht bus driver, wouldn't have had the wrong order served to you at a restaurant, and wouldn't have offed a boy who turned out to be a dud.

Oh, I nearly forgot - how careless of me - it was Trump who really won the election . . .

14 hours ago, Boy69 said:

Bolt taxi

Grab taxi

Taxi on the street

They may be also organized trips to those, places, not necessarily bad deal. 

Few years ago I took one to Nong Nooch gardens and thought it overpriced but after I saw, admission price I realized that whole tour was only minimally more expensive, like 100 baht if that much. We were given ample time to ramble around. 

Edited by vinapu

6 minutes ago, 12is12 said:

Street taxis or apps r the first and simplest choice, but r they readily available also at sites 30-40 minutes from Pattaya?

Not a problem at all some of them will agree to wait till you finish and take you back with no extra costs. 

Renting and driving a car outside of central Bangkok is a doddle. Just back from a 3 day road tour of Chiang Rai province. I had wanted to visit Thom Luang "cave rescue" cave, but unfortunately it was still closed (opens October 1). So we carried on a bit and headed North up the mountains and a road running along the Myanmar boarder. Through 3 army checkpoints, stopping for a coffee looking down through the clouds down to the flat plain. Then wound our way back down.

image.thumb.png.3cf258d95853e9c56c5802d94546b3c7.png

Renting a car gives great freedom to do what you want to do. Rental prices are very reasonable.

That is my favourite part of Thailand. Did you drive to Mae Salong? a narrow road up a mountain but easily driveable and blessed with magnificent views. It is a Chinese village, only incorporated into Thailand  quite recently. The inhabitants are descendants of the defeated Nationalist Chinese Army.

I remembered the checkpoints on my first visit in 2001; they were no problem for me. But last time, I was with P and he was taken off for a pee-test. I was very unhappy but, to be fair, he was entirely unconcerned. The checks seem to happen going north; on our return, we were waved through.

I recommend this area to all. And don't forget the Burmese border town of Mae Sai.

Well, then I will repeat yet another  story that all farang pass on to one-another: Thai canNOT read maps. None. Either. Never learnt that. Still some can produce really good maps, like even at the BMTA (the BKK buses)-but thats only for insiders.

BTW-would google really disclose as to where/when there are those giant traffic jams? Most days they are on the same spots at the same times-and very hard to escape. Cabbies (the more experienced ones) in general do know some bypasses etc-but of course not in all of BKK.